Johnny Weir's court day for biting his husband Voronov | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir's court day for biting his husband Voronov

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Something odd that crossed my mind: I read that they adopted a little dog a year or so ago. If either one of them is truly violent, I really hope the dog is with a friend or a relative. No person ever deserves to be hit, and certainly no pet does, either.

The dog was mentioned in the media reports and divorce proceedings last month. I think it said they were arguing over who should keep the dog, and I can't remember who the dog ended up with or whether it is back with them now.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Very common for someone who has been abused to return to their abuser. I know a lot o people think it's funny because it is happening to Johnny Weir but it isn't. Domestic violence is not a joke.

You're right, it's not, and it makes me wonder why Victor went back to Johnny.

noskates

Record Breaker
How do we know who was the aggressor, who was the victim, and how much of it is true. Personally I think they both ought to move on.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
How do we know who was the aggressor, who was the victim, and how much of it is true.

Precisely. Which is why it irritates me no end that Weir's fans are trying to paint him as some poor sweet innocent angel and Victor as the evil nasty devil.

noskates

Record Breaker
Well the evil nasty devil is the one who brought this whole sordid experience to the press, hired a media consultant, and was very free with information. I didn't get that Johnny's fans are trying to paint him as a poor sweet innocent angel - it almost always takes two to destroy a marriage. I can't imagine either of them are easy to live with. BUT.....no one needed to know anything about their troubles just like I could give a rat's butt about my neighbor's marital troubles. It just isn't anybody's business - whether you're a celebrity or not. As has been stated repeatedly in this thread, Johnny gave one very vanilla interview and that's it! I still wonder if Victor got paid by TMZ for all his cooperation.

In any case - I seriously doubt these two will live happily ever after.

ClockwiseSpinner

Rinkside
No one ever thought that Weir and Voronov are just creating this hype to be on magazines? :rolleye:
A lot of people still forget that tweet that Johnny wrote (and then quickly deleted) after the "fight": I just want to talk about this story with Ellen or Oprah.
I loved Johnny's skating 100%, but this "need" to write publicly everything that happens in his marriage clearly shows attention seeking.
It's difficult for everybody to be on the spotlight for so many years and then slowly fall out of it.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
You don't think Johnny Weir doesn't do things for shock value and publicity? He likes to "ruffle feathers" pun intended.. Prime example is Paris Hilton and Kim K.. they turned infamy into celebrity.

I like Johnny but I am not sure he is necessarily the victim in this situation. While I don't like Victor's conduct I am not exactly sure Mr. Weir is so pure and innocent and domestic violence granted innocent until proven guilty usually has a history. Biting is a notable trait of power issues. And it is hard to "judge" Johnny because he is so flamboyant and over the top. He seems trying to be extending his 15 minutes of fame. remember not many World bronze medallists or even national champions get as much coverage or opportunities as Johnny. His personality or brand is what he is selling but it has alimited scope. I think endorsers know using Johnny is a risk. His flamboyancy may be a hit with some but with others is a definitie no. And sadl his over the top approach may affect his credibility as a reporter. Really Tara and him come off a bit fluffy.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
till the next episode!

Well Johnny's "approach" (sort of out there, flamboyant over the top, colorful) to life is kind of just naturally seeking attention. His persona and out there approach. If he does a reality show we will know he is seeking attention and trying to stretch that fame and increase that brand. One thing that bothers me is that Victor should be able to work and he is a lawyer in NY - it is possibleif he worked he could make as much or more than Johnny (skating isn't as popular, there aren't as many pro opportunities and Johnny, right or wrong, has limited marketability for commentating.

buttermilk

On the Ice
Victor seems like a bad guy who has behaved terribly, but Johnny has behaved very badly too. From what I can tell:

1. He pretended to reconcile with Victor so Victor would drop the domestic violence charges against him, when in actuality, he had already filed divorce papers
2. He immediately ran to Access Hollywood to air the dirty laundry, and what he said included a lot of veiled threats - that he had more ammunition against Victor that he could make public. And he made a point of emphasizing that Victor has been unemployed (i.e., is a golddigger). It was hard to believe the rest of what he said because he was saying stuff like "I want the best for him" but that clearly wasn't the case.
3. He lied about Victor defacing his Birkin bag last October. ONTD-Skating had an article Victor wrote around that time last fall claiming that random gay Sochi protestors defaced the bag. One of those claims is a lie, and Johnny is in general not always a truthful person.

If they want to get back together with each other after nastiness on both sides...whatever. They deserve each other.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I can't judge who's the aggressor, victim, villain, angel, etc. Shades and degrees of responsibilities are involved in the relationship. I can see, however, in the matter of publicity seeking, Johnny and Victor are on different levels and of different leagues. Johnny is already a celebrity and wants to reserve himself and his story to the most exclusive and prestigious interviewers he could secure while Victor settles for whoever available. Their highest bidders, real or imagined, are of different calibers. Victor is not in a position to be choosy while Johnny considers his story to be of higher value and is more selective on the venues. Even here, people are interested in Johnny's marriage, not Victor's. Nobody would give Victor a hoot if married to another nobody.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I don't think this is a "taking sides" issue. Johnny and Victor seem to deserve each other.

They do. Can you imagine being in a relationship with Weir? He's so self-centered and attention-seeking. Voronov seems to want to be around a D-lister for his so-called fame and notoriety. And I guess to be supported. I wondered why he doesn't just go back to work as an attorney, but I bet he won't be admitted to the Bar. It's not just passing an exam and you're in the club, there's also a morals issue that the Bar considers. And if he has had 4 DWI's, and other arrests and has been disciplined for practicing without a license, I have a feeling admittance to the Bar is going to be a very long and probably impossible endeavor.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
They do. Can you imagine being in a relationship with Weir? He's so self-centered and attention-seeking. Voronov seems to want to be around a D-lister for his so-called fame and notoriety. And I guess to be supported. I wondered why he doesn't just go back to work as an attorney, but I bet he won't be admitted to the Bar. It's not just passing an exam and you're in the club, there's also a morals issue that the Bar considers. And if he has had 4 DWI's, and other arrests and has been disciplined for practicing without a license, I have a feeling admittance to the Bar is going to be a very long and probably impossible endeavor.

I enjoy Johnny as a celebrity personality and a skater but he has long elicited an eye-roll from me with some of his antics. He's not a naive innocent that needs protecting from an evil predator. I'm sure these two will continue to break up and make up for a long time.