Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Johnny Weir's court day for biting his husband Voronov

Awaiting Boris and Oleg
    Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    I'm very suspicious about the whole court case. First of all, Victor tweeted an image of the court filing while Johnny was in Sochi, asking twitter followers for "advice" in the matter. ***?!? That is strange behavior. He deleted it later.

Secondly, biting is not usually a means of attack, but defense--as in being held tight so biting is your only option to get freed. Not saying this is what happened, but while Johnny is an athlete and a strong man, Victor is seriously buffed himself. Also Victor is the one who is on record for battery (I did some googling when someone referred to this on FSU and found this: http://www.gwinnettcourts.com/home.a...199/pcsform:1/ )

Finally, Johnny has not talked about the issue at all--this is clearly not the kind of publicity he wanted after a lot of positive attention and signing up with a huge agency etc. A few days ago he quietly changed his twitter and IG profile back to Johnny Weir and deleted the marriage information. He is probably making an official announcement today, but he has likely already made arrangements for that. The Ellen and Oprah bit sounds to me as typical of Johnny trying to add some lightness into a sad message, and he deleted it when he saw it didn't work.

As I said, I have no idea of what really went down, but I really don't think Johnny is seeking attention. Yes, he probably rushed into this marriage too fast and without knowing Victor well enough--but he wouldn't be the first smart, successful person who fell head over heels in love with the wrong person. By now their marriage sounds dysfunctional, and in that case it really is better to call it quits.
    Nice post. Thank you for the information and the balanced viewpoint.

Obviously, we wouldn't know who is at fault. A poster above said that Voronov had a history of domestic disputes, so that's interesting.

Tanith did commentate when Marlie won Worlds one year. So if it's ok there, why not in Sochi? I suppose Tara is a bigger name.

I did watch Johnny's reality show a few years ago. He did seem like a likeable young man and is a lot of fun. He did "play-fights" with his aunt and PR manager. I can imagine him doing the same with his husband, and it got blown out of proportion due to some arguments.

Custom Title
    Does all of this mean that Voronov is fair game again ?

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    In the mid-2000s, he seemed to have the potential of Jason Brown. His Doctor Zhivago and Otonal when skated well were quite amazing. He stopped developing there. In fact, he regressed. His older programs were more complex and interesting. Instead, he chose to develop, as you said, the celebrity of flamboyance and camp. Not something I respect or aspire to but to each his own.
    I agree that Johnny never actualized his potential, but I think it is totally unrelated to his ~celebrity~ or flamboyance. It wasn't really a cause-and-effect matter, I think. Johnny started at a huge disadvantage, starting so late, and I think Priscilla Hill never really pushed him to evolve technically. He coasted by on his artistic skills for a really long time, and people loved watching him skate because even though he was incredibly unpredictable at times, he was enthralling to watch when he was on his game. As he got older, he was less and less consistent, and he couldn't keep up with the skills of the skaters who were evolving and pushing past him. The USFS treated him terribly (culminating in that absolutely humiliating "Johnny speaks French and likes fashion" intro at the 2010 Olympics) and so he tried to be increasingly bullish in the media to combat all of that--to take ownership of his voice. He said before--the more the media called him flamboyant because he liked wearing feathery one-pieces when he skated (he liked to feel beautiful and artistic) the angrier he got, and the more "flamboyant" he wanted to appear.

So yeah. It's a shame--he was very talented, but emotionally done with ice-skating and the USFS long before he reached his peak, and so he never capitalized on the talent we all saw in him :(. The Jason Brown comparison is super apt--Jason has far and away better skating skills, is just as artistic, but Jason really seems to want this a heck of a lot more than Johnny ever did.

Custom Title
    Let's just say that Voronov has had a documented violent history with former partners. He is a law school graduate so he knows well how to manipulate the law to his own advantage.

Johnny may be flamboyant, but he has always shown himself to be a kind and caring person. He tends to want to keep his private life private, so he wants to reveal his sad news in his own way.

IMO, Johnny was taken advantage of by a manipulative person who will probably now seek big $$ in a divorce settlement.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by wingsofliberty View Post
    So yeah. It's a shame--he was very talented, but emotionally done with ice-skating and the USFS long before he reached his peak, and so he never capitalized on the talent we all saw in him :(. The Jason Brown comparison is super apt--Jason has far and away better skating skills, is just as artistic, but Jason really seems to want this a heck of a lot more than Johnny ever did.
    It also helps that Jason has a coach that knows how to get every point out of COP. Galina just was not good at doing that for Johnny.

Jason also always had a long-term view regarding his career so was and is not easily discouraged by setbacks along the way.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Let's just say that Voronov has had a documented violent history with former partners. He is a law school graduate so he knows well how to manipulate the law to his own advantage.

Johnny may be flamboyant, but he has always shown himself to be a kind and caring person. He tends to want to keep his private life private, so he wants to reveal his sad news in his own way.

IMO, Johnny was taken advantage of by a manipulative person who will probably now seek big $$ in a divorce settlement.
    Not to speculate on a particular person or pair of people, but it seems to me that gay marriage will be a lot like straight marriage, in that some people will rush into a marriage without thinking it through and will rush out almost as quickly. Human nature isn't that different across the spectrum. Remember the famous Britney Spears 55-hour marriage? I can see some gay couple with similar airheaded views of the institution marrying because it's the thing to do this year and then realizing that entering into marriage isn't like choosing another pair of au courant boots. The phrase "falling in love with love" enters the mind, and also the even older one of "marry in haste and repent at leisure."

Custom Title
    May I please point out that the only OFFICIAL RECORDS that Victor has is a DUI. No battery, no domestic violence.

Frankly it sickens me that the first thing Weir's fans do when this news comes out is immediately try to paint Victor as some kind of evil villain, while stridently claiming no-one can hate on Johnny because there's no proof and no conviction.

(No, I can't call him Voronov, because my brain immediately leaps to Sergei, and that's just weird.)

Domestic violence is not a laughing matter no matter who you are.

Custom Title
    The dude called the police because Johnny bit him? Am I reading it right?

P.S. He looks like a cartoon character.

Quote Originally Posted by wingsofliberty View Post
    I agree that Johnny never actualized his potential, but I think it is totally unrelated to his ~celebrity~ or flamboyance. It wasn't really a cause-and-effect matter, I think. Johnny started at a huge disadvantage, starting so late, and I think Priscilla Hill never really pushed him to evolve technically. He coasted by on his artistic skills for a really long time, and people loved watching him skate because even though he was incredibly unpredictable at times, he was enthralling to watch when he was on his game. As he got older, he was less and less consistent, and he couldn't keep up with the skills of the skaters who were evolving and pushing past him. The USFS treated him terribly (culminating in that absolutely humiliating "Johnny speaks French and likes fashion" intro at the 2010 Olympics) and so he tried to be increasingly bullish in the media to combat all of that--to take ownership of his voice. He said before--the more the media called him flamboyant because he liked wearing feathery one-pieces when he skated (he liked to feel beautiful and artistic) the angrier he got, and the more "flamboyant" he wanted to appear.

Thanks dear

To think of it, the only parallel Johnny and Jason have is their enormous talent. Jason is very close to realizing to his potential and he did it in his first senior debut. Kori Ade is a brilliant young coach who really knows how to approach skating and to look at it philosophically and strategically. If Jason can maintain this current standard and own the quad, he will be battling directly with Yuz in the next few years. Johnny was lost for a long time. Even he said his coach (Hill?) gave up on him at one point. He became more and more inconsistent, had meltdowns, and perhaps even problems with mental discipline. When Johnny was younger, Johnny had so much promise that Frank Carroll thought he was the most talented skater he had ever seen. Not only did Johnny never realize his potential, I still think he was deeply distracted by the cult of fame and celebrity surrounding him. It was louder and louder, not better and better. Johnny didn't have Kori Ade at his side. Instead, he had Galina who was angry at him for not going to Worlds 2010, as he was devastated for not having been rewarded in Vancouver. Galina, as Mrs P said, didn't know how to utilize COP. His programs were becoming more and more sparse. Under Kori's guidance, Jason had a phenomenal senior debut and widespread love. Actually, I can't think of a skater who is more loved at this moment. Johnny never had the best coach, guidance, and widespread support from the media and especially USFSA.

Anyway, I did like Johnny as a person when I saw his show. As a person, he is far less obnoxious than his flamboyant persona. I don't really think the flamboyance is who he really is; just a persona he thought as convenient to express his angst perhaps.

I'm disappointed to hear Voronov has a bad history.

Custom Title
    The biggest difference between Jason and Johnny is that Jason has a work ethic. Johnny wouldn't know what a work ethic was.

I had to have a little chuckle though at the poster upthread who painted the dramatic picture of poor sweet Johnny married to manipulative Victor...sorry, but the last time I checked, faking injury/illness on more than one occasion, painting yourself as a victim of the evil federation, and begging your adoring fans for training money (while you just finished bragging about the latest Birkin bag you bought) are all actions that are pretty manipulative to me.

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    The biggest difference between Jason and Johnny is that Jason has a work ethic. Johnny wouldn't know what a work ethic was.

I had to have a little chuckle though at the poster upthread who painted the dramatic picture of poor sweet Johnny married to manipulative Victor...sorry, but the last time I checked, faking injury/illness on more than one occasion, painting yourself as a victim of the evil federation, and begging your adoring fans for training money (while you just finished bragging about the latest Birkin bag you bought) are all actions that are pretty manipulative to me.
    Interesting... in any case... he's a side note now. No one has taken him and his skating seriously for a long time. I also remember posts where he bought a $1mil condo in NYC or that some skating show refused to re-hire him?

Rinkside
    I kind of disagree, actually, but I think the biggest difference (aside from the coaching issue) is the field. Johnny was mega-talented and coasted by because no one challenged him for ages. He was told he was a genius and he acted like one. He reminds me of brilliant kids who coast by in grade school and find themselves in university with no idea how to study and no understanding of why they don't succeed and why no one is praising their abilities any longer. Those kids turn out to be very angry, often, and very unsure of themselves until they pull themselves together and realize that you can't just be smart--you have to work and improve yourself in order to get anywhere. Genius isn't a lifelong guarantee of success. It's a perk when you're young, but it can be a crutch when you get older. Johnny didn't take his training into his own hands. He didn't work at it. He didn't want to be better, stronger, faster, surer. He just wanted to win and be recognized as that kid who landed an axel after two hours of training. And that's tremendously different.

The field these days wouldn't reward a 2003-2006 Johnny. Not even the junior field. Men are getting quads younger and younger, and COP has changed the way programs are structured by providing a serious benchmark to improvement--the more technique you can learn and execute, the more you will be rewarded. You can't coast anymore. You have to show serious improvement year after year. If you don't, someone else will. And you will be very quickly overtaken. Jason has been competing in the era of Patrick Chans and Yuzuru Hanyus. The field is overrun by young wunderkinds. His 2014 Nationals performance isn't enough, and he knows that. Ade knows that too. They wouldn't even have been enough had he won (which, of course, he didn't). But Johnny, I think, didn't realize that it frankly was not enough, and no one sat him down and told him. And so the 2003-2006 Johnny became the 2006-2010 Johnny, culminating in 6th at Vancouver and basically ending his career. I think Jason will be very different, and I think it's because he can see what a challenge the next quad will pose, and he can see, looking back, how the next crop of soon-to-be-seniors will shake it all up.

Anyway! Sorry to derail this thread! And thanks for the warm welcome--these are my first posts on Goldenskate

Custom Title
    Johnny announced the marriage is over via Twitter 13 minutes ago.

It is with great sadness that I announce that my husband and I are no longer together. My heart hurts, and I wish him well.

Custom Title
    May I please point out that the only OFFICIAL RECORDS that Victor has is a DUI. No battery, no domestic violence.

Frankly it sickens me that the first thing Weir's fans do when this news comes out is immediately try to paint Victor as some kind of evil villain, while stridently claiming no-one can hate on Johnny because there's no proof and no conviction.

(No, I can't call him Voronov, because my brain immediately leaps to Sergei, and that's just weird.)

Domestic violence is not a laughing matter no matter who you are.
    The records Matilda linked were for battery, property damage, false imprisonment and obstructing 911 calls. That's a pretty bad list that indicates some problematic behavior.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast