Johnny Weir's court day for biting his husband Voronov | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir's court day for biting his husband Voronov

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Johnny was a great skater but he certainly seems to be 100% about the drama in his personal life. "I only want to talk about this to Ellen or Oprah?" Oh puh-leez.

I like Johnny, but he is full of himself. He and Tara made it all about themselves at the Olympics. I hope Oprah turns him down flat.

louisa05

Final Flight
I like Johnny, but he is full of himself. He and Tara made it all about themselves at the Olympics. I hope Oprah turns him down flat.

I think that was a weak attempt at humor and he is not expecting a call from Oprah. Particularly since she does not have a regular talk show anymore. But don't let little technicalities stop the endless slamming of Johnny in this thread.

I have never and will never understand the need to direct personal vitriol at athletes whose performances, teams or results you don't like. Such a strange use of one's energy.

I have never and will never understand the need to direct personal vitriol at athletes whose performances, teams or results you don't like. Such a strange use of one's energy.

I agree totally! Even if someone isn't a personal favorite or I have a negative view of them, I don't get the reason for a hatred and/or such negative statements for a person/people that you don't even personally know. And...I just feel so bad when people get divorced - that's got to be really rough. :( I'm not a Johnny lover or hater (he's whatever imo)....But i feel bad for him and his partner.

On a different note, individuals have images. Just because you don't like the public one that he seems to flaunt doesn't mean that if you knew him personally you wouldn't like him or certain things about him. Heck, you may even find him funny; and realize he's just got sort of a sarcastic flaunting humor...
Image is like a book cover - it gives a first impression.....But it can't and doesn't tell the whole story. ;)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I think that Johnny would be the first person to admit he is a polarizing personality. I have been following this story since the first tweets came out from Victor, that were soon deleted. TMZ now has an article up that says Johnny signed the divorce docs on January 28, before leaving for Sochi. That makes me think Victor was definitely being vindictive with those Twitter posts. Also, Access Hollywood has the video interview up on their website with Johnny. I would post the links but I tried that earlier and got auto-banned as it was my first post.

Johnny is really the person who attracted me to figure skating and I'll always have a place in my heart for him. I don't think he's an innocent angel by any means, but I also feel that Victor is an opportunist and extremely shady. Yes - Johnny enjoys the limelight, but you could say that for a lot of people who are far less interesting and intelligent. I won't knock his hustle. It pays the bills.

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
I think that Johnny would be the first person to admit he is a polarizing personality. I have been following this story since the first tweets came out from Victor, that were soon deleted. TMZ now has an article up that says Johnny signed the divorce docs on January 28, before leaving for Sochi. That makes me think Victor was definitely being vindictive with those Twitter posts. Also, Access Hollywood has the video interview up on their website with Johnny. I would post the links but I tried that earlier and got auto-banned as it was my first post.

Johnny is really the person who attracted me to figure skating and I'll always have a place in my heart for him. I don't think he's an innocent angel by any means, but I also feel that Victor is an opportunist and extremely shady. Yes - Johnny enjoys the limelight, but you could say that for a lot of people who are far less interesting and intelligent. I won't knock his hustle. It pays the bills.

Johnny signed the papers January 28? But he tweeted lovingly about Victor much more recently than that..

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Johnny signed the papers January 28? But he tweeted lovingly about Victor much more recently than that..

Here's the article. It says he signed them Jan. 28 and they were filed with the court Feb. 12. (I think that was within a day or two after the Twitter incident). There may still be some love between them (at least from Johnny's side - I really don't know how sincere Victor ever was), but there's a thin line between love and hate, as the saying goes. Some relationships just aren't healthy.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/03/20/johnny-weir-divorce-husband-attorneys-fees-shakedown/

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think that was a weak attempt at humor and he is not expecting a call from Oprah. Particularly since she does not have a regular talk show anymore. But don't let little technicalities stop the endless slamming of Johnny in this thread.

As I said, I like Johnny, but I don't have to like everything about him. You have your opinion and I have mine.

just wondering

On the Ice
Is this the modern day equivalent of the Nancy/Tonya incident?

Best case scenario, Johnny emerges from this mess wiser in the ways of love & PR and can use these new skills to build the foundation for a happier life for himself and as an advocate for the sport.
Let's face it, figure skating could use some attention!
Sad that it has to come packaged in drama and at the expense of someone's personal life, but "drama" seems to be the PR game du jour for many, many people & entities.
Figure skating could use some of the limelight, unfortunate as the path may be.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Well, as is the case with some of the skating partnerships we are discussing on the pairs/dance partners thread, we will probably never know the exact reasons why 2 people decide to go separate ways. We can gather a few bits and pieces together, but the only people that usually know the full story are the 2 people themselves, and perhaps their closest family & friends.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I think that was a weak attempt at humor and he is not expecting a call from Oprah. Particularly since she does not have a regular talk show anymore.

There's also the fact that Johnny Weir isn't necessarily a big enough star, anyway. He is known to figure skating audiences, and some people in the general public, but he's not an Olympic medalist or an athlete of the fame or success of Lance Armstrong. The Armstrong interview with Oprah last year was huge, but a lower-profile celebrity like Johnny is probably likely to only get interviewed by the smaller entertainment shows.

phaeljones

On the Ice
There's also the fact that Johnny Weir isn't necessarily a big enough star, anyway. He is known to figure skating audiences, and some people in the general public, but he's not an Olympic medalist or an athlete of the fame or success of Lance Armstrong. The Armstrong interview with Oprah last year was huge, but a lower-profile celebrity like Johnny is probably likely to only get interviewed by the smaller entertainment shows.

True enough. The skating world is not a big pond really, and Johnny does not have a long list of triumphs. But this touches on something else for those of us (me being one) that drew us to Johnny's skating. (I am not disagreeing with your point and I agree with what you wrote here, but tackling a different aspect: ) Watching his skating, his artistry, he was a skater that almost anyone (except for one or two posters here) could watch and, watching him in a competition and being drawn in by his performance, one sometimes had to struggle not to forget about the score and that it was a competition. (That is what really makes a skater great . . . one who robs you of your own presence and takes you into his performance.) His skates seemed to speak louder than his placement. It is nice to see skaters like Johnny, who emphasized the artistic, and they are important to the sport in a way that Olympic medalists like (and I do not mean to be critical) Lycasek can never be.

Johnny is a kind and wonderful person. Victor is a horrible person. I will be cheering for Johnny all the way in the coming months in how this plays out.

RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!

noskates

Record Breaker
Oh Phael, I always love your posts. You summed it up beautifully. I've loved Johnny since the first time I saw him skate. And as I said before, I pay less attention to what goes on off the ice than what goes on on the ice. I get lost in his YouTubes. But I do disagree with those who are saying he's only known in the figure skating world. Maybe before the Olympics but certainly not now. His fashion sense is somewhat skewed and her definitely is opinionated but I still find him interesting. I also think he's one of the best commentators we have right now when he actually tells us why a jump failed or acknowledges that someone's music is all wrong for them, etc. etc. I feel like the way they're going though - Tara is going to be a big wart on his side. She does nothing for me....skating or otherwise.

I do hope this divorce is a good thing for Johnny and that he can move past it. Certainly haven't heard much positive about Victor.

BlackPack

Medalist
Wow - watching Atonal at the 2005 Nats just proves my point about Johnny's triple axel AND skating with Priscilla Hill. I loved Dick Button's comment about his artistic athleticism. Well put!
The performance was 9 years ago!!! I'd say there are some modern day skaters that could take some guidance for how to deliver a performance!!!

Otonal was indeed magnificent. Unfortunately, Johnny never maintained or improved that standard and that is why so many fans and critics alike are so frustrated with the way he squandered his potential and talent. Instead, it's all about basking and cashing in the cult of fame.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Of course none of them know anything.
In an email leaked, "Johnny writes, "If you decide to wreck things, please wreck cheaper things than Birkins." He goes on ..."The f*** you on the Birkin is kinda cool, though, you artist. I know you don't care about how I'll survive if you divorce me, but please leave my Birkin bags, Celine bags and Chanel bags alone."

Haha, this circus freak is out of control. The biting, the bags, the theatrical antics, stay in Russia!

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist

Well, I can't stand that Johnny wears fur. That is pretty inexcusable. But watching interview 1 I almost chocked up, Johnny looked as if he was about to break down.
From what I have seen of Johnny with his fans and what I have heard, he is super nice to everyone and always makes time to sign an autograph and say hello.
I think beyond his Diva-ness ( that's a word right?) he is a pretty decent person and a very talented skater.

Weird that he is talking about financial troubles, he must live a very lush life. I would think now that he worked for NBC he should have some stellar paychecks coming in.