Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: if you're a figure skater, what would you be?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    Have you translators ever deliberately translated something wrong just for fun?
    All the time as a joke between friends/people I work with, never for clients I get enough sleepless nights wondering if that choice of idiom/word that repeated a thousand times in that million-page document that I just sent to a new client who I'm hoping will give me lots of work in the future because I'm running out of cash and my Wordfast subscription needs to be renewed - actually was correct

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I'm fascinated by your work and Sai Bon's work. Gee, Finnish isn't exactly related to the other languages you work with. It's incredibly impressive that you have that language as well as the Germanic-based Scandinavian ones.

(Funny translation note: I once had a friend, now departed, who was a fabulous linguist. He was in Iceland on a trip and couldn't remember their word for bank. Knowing that Icelandic hadn't changed much since the days of the Prose Edda and the sagas, he approached someone on the street and asked where the nearest gold-hoard was. I think he did actually get directed to a bank!)
    Cheers Olympia!

Finnish is my native and as Swedish is also an official language here, all kids need to learn Swedish at school anyway. And when you know Swedish you are basically able to read Norwegian and Danish if you have any natural aptitude for languages.

I used to be rubbish at Swedish, but when the only B in my high-school diploma was in Swedish, I got so pissed off I determined to learn the stupid language once and for all. So, in order to learn Swedish as well as some more English, I went to Scotland to study Scandinavian Studies at Edinburgh uni for 4 years Five birds with one stone!

Modern Icelandic is incredibly similar to Old Norse. I only studied the language of Thor and Loki for 2 years at Uni, basically just reading and translating sagas into English, and was still able to read current Icelandic newspapers. Sort of, anyway.

I like how Icelandic has rejected neologisms unlike most languages, and instead made up words for new phenomena that derive from their heritage. For example, the word for telephone is simi, which means cord/thread, as in a thread between people - just like old landlines used to be! My all-time favourite is their word for computer, which is tölva. It's a portmanteau of tala (number) and völva (prophetess).

"Hang on, I'll just quickly check if there are any new posts on GS on my number prophetess!"

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    LOVE THIS THREAD!!!

(And that's including the digression about translating! )

But, back to the topic. Here are my thoughts.

Category

Mmmm. I would love to try Pairs. But, I know fine well that I would not be able to keep myself synchronised with my partner, and that she would be constantly getting cross with me for getting things wrong.

So, I suppose it’s Men’s Singles, then. But, I don’t mind, as I do prefer to do things solo.

Style

I am very quiet and reserved in real life. But, I would like to be something different on the ice. My favourite male skaters tend to be the showmen. The likes of Plushenko, Joubert, Takahashi, van der Perren…

I also love Amodio’s Brazilian flair, especially in his exhibition numbers. But, somehow I don’t think I could pull it off! As for Jonny Weir, I have never been a fan of his style. He is just too over the top for my taste.

So, on balance, I would probably model myself on Brian Joubert.

Coach

Well, Katia Krier has done a great job with Brian over the years. But, I don’t think I would be able to concentrate on what I was doing if I was being coached by a beautiful woman…

Every sportsperson wants to be coached by the best. And in Men’s skating, that has to be Brian Orser. So, if I could work with him, I would jump at the chance!

Music

Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” is my favourite song of all time. But, I wouldn’t use it. It has been used many times in the past for skating. Some I have liked (e.g. in Michael Christian Martinez’s SP from last season, or Moore-Towers / Moscovitch’s FS medley from last season), but most have been awful (e.g. the version Kerstin Frank has been using as her SP for the past couple of years).

However, I think my second favourite song of all time, Led Zeppelin’s “Stairway To Heaven”, would translate well onto the ice.

When it comes to skating music, I tend to prefer dramatic or epic pieces. My favourite skating piece is without a doubt Clint Mansell’s “Lux Aeterna”, and it would be my first choice.

But other pieces I would like to try are:

Johann Sebastian Bach – “Toccata And Fugue
    Klaus Badelt and Hans Zimmer – “He’s A Pirate
    Ludwig van Beethoven – “Symphony No. 5
    Paul Casey – “Big World
    Led Zeppelin – “ Immigrant Song
    Led Zeppelin – “Kashmir
    Andrew Lloyd Webber / Tim Rice – “Jesus Christ Superstar Overture
    Muff Murfin – “Gladiators” Theme Tune
    Monty Norman / John Barry – “James Bond Theme
    Carl Orff – “O Fortuna
    Modest Mussorgsky – “Night On Bald Mountain
    Pyotr Tchaikovsky – “1812 Overture
    Vangelis – “Chariots Of Fire
    Vangelis – “Conquest Of Paradise
    John Williams – “Jurassic Park Overture
    John Williams – “The Raiders March” (Hey, I am an archaeologist, after all!)

It may be a very strange choice for a Men’s Singles skater, but I would also like to try Tchaikovsky’s “Swan Lake” (Off hand, I can’t actually think of any Men’s skaters that have used “Swan Lake”! So, can anybody else?) I just love the music!

Also, ever since Sota Yamamoto dressed up as a member of International Rescue and skated to the “Thunderbirds” theme at last year’s WTT Gala, I have a bit of a fantasy of skating to Ron Wasserman’s masterpiece, “Go Go Power Rangers”, dressed as my favourite Power Ranger, Tommy the Green Ranger…

Costume

I suppose it would depend on the music I was using. Like, if I was using “The Raiders March”, I would dress up as Indiana Jones. Or if I was using the “James Bond Theme Tune”, I would be dressed up in a full dinner suit.

Mind you, I would draw the line at dressing up in character if I was using the Gladiators theme tune! (See why?)

And “Swan Lake” or not, nobody’s getting me into a tutu or tights!

For music that does not have a theme that instantly conjures up an image, I think I would style myself on Yuzuru Hanyu, or some of the tamer costumes from Daisuke Takahashi or Brian Joubert.

Definitely not anything over the top! (A Power Rangers costume isn’t over the top…)

Country

As I have pointed out quite a few times, people from Northern Ireland are automatically entitled to duel British and Irish citizenship.

Now, this is the thorny issue for somebody from Northern Ireland. If you choose one country, one side of the political divide condemns you. If you choose the other country, the other side of the political divide condemns you. So, I’m going to look at it from a practical viewpoint.

At the moment, neither the top British Men’s skater, Matthew Parr, nor the top Irish Men’s skater, Conor Stakelum, are at a level where they could earn a second slot for me. So, I would have to fight to be selected over them.

Conor’s PB is 97.48, while Matthew’s is 154.52. So, on that alone, I would have a better chance if I went after the Irish slot.

But, then you add in that there are likely to be other skaters challenging for the slot as well as myself. Ireland has a much smaller population than Britain, and this is also reflected in the number of competitive skaters. So, I am more likely to be selected if I am in a smaller pool.

So, when everything is weighed up, Ireland is my best bet.

But, this is a fantasy thread. So, I could choose whatever country I wanted. And since most of my favourite skaters tend to be either Russian or Japanese, it would be a dream to skate for either of these countries.

And anyway, I already have an Russian Olympic Team jacket…

CaroLiza_fan

Hic Rhodus, hic salta
    Caroliza_fan, I like your style! I'd love to see Indiana Jones on ice.
    Rudy Galindo skated to Swan Lake.
    Katia Krier was Brian's coach for less of a season.

Quote Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
    Caroliza_fan, I like your style! I'd love to see Indiana Jones on ice.
    Rudy Galindo skated to Swan Lake.
    Katia Krier was Brian's coach for less of a season.
    Thank you for the compliment, and the info

Was that all?! I thought Katia was the one that he had most of his success with, and then left, and then went back to.

Ach, I must be getting mixed up with with somebody else!

Just shows you how much attention I have paid to coaches over the years!

It is only in the past year or two that I have started paying attention to who is coaching who. Or, put it another way, since skaters I like started coaching (Massimo Scalli, John Kerr, Amanda Evora...)

CaroLiza_fan

Hic Rhodus, hic salta
    Brian's "historical" coach is Véronique Guyon. She taught him wonderful jump technique, and since he went back to her in 2010 he improved a lot, especially his stamina in FS.
    I'm glad that they went to the Olympics together and that he ended his career with his first coach.
    End of the long-winded, sentimental digression.

Wow CaroLiza_fan you really went all-in there

Love your music choices, especially Led Zeppelin and Vangelis

(My husband who is a DJ says if we ever have kids our son WILL be named Jarre Vangelis :D)

And now I'm very intrigued....did you rep Russia or how did you end up with that jacket?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post

whole quote!
    What an invigorating post to read on a freezing Monday morning. Thanks for all the great details about Icelandic. The way Icelandic coins new words from old (Number prophetess! Love it!) reminds me of the way the Navajo code talkers in World War II devised words for things such as submarines (they used their word for turtle). When you think of it, so much language is metaphorical. Think of "the world wide web."

By the way, I studied old languages also--Anglo-Saxon (old English), Middle English, and Old Welsh. Am rusty now, but enjoyed reading the old texts! So you can see why I love learning about your work and the work of the other translators and language experts on GS. I can never get enough of thinking about this!

As for our main thread element, skating...my favorite job in the skating world would be finding music. If I could suddenly be brave and non-klutzy and be an actual skater, I'd love to have the flow and footwork of Yuka Sato.

Quote Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
    Brian's "historical" coach is Véronique Guyon. She taught him wonderful jump technique, and since he went back to her in 2010 he improved a lot, especially his stamina in FS.
    I'm glad that they went to the Olympics together and that he ended his career with his first coach.
    End of the long-winded, sentimental digression.
    Thank you, bartlebooth! I knew it was a female coach, but I ended up picking the wrong one!

By the way, I just watched a video of Rudy's "Swan Lake" at 1996 Nationals. All I can say is "WOW!!!!" Is it any wonder that he won the Championships that year?!

I have never watched Rudy before (he was before I started getting into skating), but that was really enjoyable to watch. And his reaction to the scores! We never see anybody getting that excited nowadays!

I'm going to have to look up more of his stuff!

Love your music choices, especially Led Zeppelin and Vangelis

(My husband who is a DJ says if we ever have kids our son WILL be named Jarre Vangelis :D)
    Thank you. Led Zeppelin is my second favourite band after Queen. But, as we have found, Queen music doesn't always translate well onto the ice. I think the Zeppelin music would suit skating very well, though.

Although I have no plans on having children, my son would probably be something like Joey Daijiro... (after two of my favourite motorbike racers, both killed doing the sport they loved)

And now I'm very intrigued....did you rep Russia or how did you end up with that jacket?
    eBay is a wonderful thing...

Strangely, the Team Russia jacket (a 2010 Vancouver edition) was bought from somebody in ITALY!!!

I had bought it with the intention of wearing it, because I wanted a light jacket to use in the summer when my other (heavier) coats would look silly. Unfortunately, recent events involving Russia have kinda put me off the idea of wearing it in public.

But, the thought of somebody thinking I represented any country at anything has just made my day!

CaroLiza_fan

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    By the way, I studied old languages also--Anglo-Saxon (old English), Middle English, and Old Welsh.
    No way!!!! Where did you study?

I was thisclose to going to Oxford to read Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic myself!!!! We seem to have some very weird similar interests - figure skating and old languages, what a combo
    Every time we watch Vikings I say to my husband "you know, it could have been me consulting those producers and actors" and he goes

Missing Oxford was totally my own fault: this was in -96 when www was still a toddler. I found that year's Times Good Uni Guide somewhere on t'internet and thought hey, Oxford's number 2 and that A-S, N & C combo looks just about obscure enough for me. Then I went on the Uni's own site and after about 5 mins or "research" I realised I had missed the dealine - or thought I had. I just read so quickly that where it said October I read February So I went with Edinburgh instead and I'm so glad I did because it's the most beautiful city in the world

Thank you. Led Zeppelin is my second favourite band after Queen. But, as we have found, Queen music doesn't always translate well onto the ice. I think the Zeppelin music would suit skating very well, though.

Although I have no plans on having children, my son would probably be something like Joey Daijiro... (after two of my favourite motorbike racers, both killed doing the sport they loved)
    That is a wonderful way to honour the memory of someone important to you - whether a relative or a "stranger" that you admire.

eBay is a wonderful thing...

Strangely, the Team Russia jacket (a 2010 Vancouver edition) was bought from somebody in ITALY!!!

I had bought it with the intention of wearing it, because I wanted a light jacket to use in the summer when my other (heavier) coats would look silly. Unfortunately, recent events involving Russia have kinda put me off the idea of wearing it in public.

But, the thought of somebody thinking I represented any country at anything has just made my day!

CaroLiza_fan
    I'm happy for that

Yeah, I understand - I'd feel v. awkward too...

Custom Title
    No way!!!! Where did you study?

I was thisclose to going to Oxford to read Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic myself!!!! We seem to have some very weird similar interests - figure skating and old languages, what a combo
    Every time we watch Vikings I say to my husband "you know, it could have been me consulting those producers and actors" and he goes

Missing Oxford was totally my own fault: this was in -96 when www was still a toddler. I found that year's Times Good Uni Guide somewhere on t'internet and thought hey, Oxford's number 2 and that A-S, N & C combo looks just about obscure enough for me. Then I went on the Uni's own site and after about 5 mins or "research" I realised I had missed the dealine - or thought I had. I just read so quickly that where it said October I read February So I went with Edinburgh instead and I'm so glad I did because it's the most beautiful city in the world
    I'm glad you went to Edinburgh, too. A friend of mine studied at St. Andrews for a graduate degree and loved Scotland. I got to Edinburgh once and agree that the city is splendid. Though Oxford...what an intoxicating thought. I studied Old English and Old French in undergrad in the U.S. and Welsh in grad school in Wales. I enjoyed all of it hugely, though I didn't go into languages as my profession.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6