Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: if you're a figure skater, what would you be?

Custom Title
    On another note, I'm fascinated by how many of us have designated Rohene Ward as our choreographer. He isn't really out there very much yet, but the little he has done has obviously pulled us in. Maybe in the real world, most of us don't have a great future in skating, but clearly Ward's career could be on the upswing.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    CanadianSkater, do you compete as well?

Olympia, *hands you a cocktail*

TMC, any chance of a re-enactment of what happens behind closed doors? Who would be your wife?

Moonlight, I'd love to see your programs. I googled Petit Mort... and there I was thinking I was so original

skatedreamer, subtlety in exhibitionism... food for thought.

desert, I think we'd make better skaters than some of the top skaters today
    subtlety in exhibitionism = oxymoron!

Re: original question, I'd like to be part of a truly great pairs team, a la G&G. Have always loved pairs because it requires you to have great singles skills, but also the ability to collaborate in support of a shared goal. You need to be a diva and a member of the corps at the same time -- not an easy thing to do. You need this in ice dance, too, of course, but my inner thrill-seeker wants to go for those crazy lifts!

When Tarasova said that Adelina was trying to reconcile the modern and the classical, this statement doesn't yet apply to her. But it does apply to Rohene Ward. I'm happy he is being recognized big time at least by the fans. His style is full of modern dance moves expressed in a classical manner - pointed toes, good posture, fine alignment, sleek lines. He didn't have the mental toughness to be a competitor, but he is surely destined to be one of the greatest choreographers of all time. Jason Brown is the ultimate ambassador who shows the world what Rohene can do.

Subtlety in exhibitionism ... indeed, my head is going to explode trying to envision these two concepts together... just doesn't happen right?

When Tarasova said that Adelina was trying to reconcile the modern and the classical, this statement doesn't yet apply to her. But it does apply to Rohene Ward. I'm happy he is being recognized big time at least by the fans. His style is full of modern dance moves expressed in a classical manner - pointed toes, good posture, fine alignment, sleek lines. He didn't have the mental toughness to be a competitor, but he is surely destined to be one of the greatest choreographers of all time. Jason Brown is the ultimate ambassador who shows the world what Rohene can do.

Subtlety in exhibitionism ... indeed, my head is going to explode trying to envision these two concepts together... just doesn't happen right?
    IIRC Jason takes hip-hop and modern dance classes....but yet has great posture and extension. So yes, I'd agree he is a better example of someone reconciling the modern and classical.

But I think Adelina can get there. As I said elsewhere, she has the extension already...just needs good choreography to show it off.

I am so glad Rohene is getting the recognition he so deserves. He is a brilliant skater, just unbelievable -- edges and line to die for. And now so creative, with Jason benefiting from it. Hope they both go to the stratosphere. And lucky people in Europe who get to see Rohene perform in Holiday on Ice.

CanadianSkater, do you compete as well?

Olympia, *hands you a cocktail*

TMC, any chance of a re-enactment of what happens behind closed doors? Who would be your wife?

Moonlight, I'd love to see your programs. I googled Petit Mort... and there I was thinking I was so original

skatedreamer, subtlety in exhibitionism... food for thought.

desert, I think we'd make better skaters than some of the top skaters today
    I'm stuck with work now around the clock pretty much until the weekend (self-employed translators work when there is work and sleep only when there isn't ), but I'll think on this and come back here Friday night with a bottle of red and plot twists enough for a few Danielle Steel novels

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    I am so glad Rohene is getting the recognition he so deserves. He is a brilliant skater, just unbelievable -- edges and line to die for. And now so creative, with Jason benefiting from it. Hope they both go to the stratosphere. And lucky people in Europe who get to see Rohene perform in Holiday on Ice.
    I'm really, and I mean really happy for Rohene as well! Competition was just never meant to be for him, but I'm absolutely sure that he will be remembered in years to come as one of the greatest choreographers. Next time my husband wants to go for a mini-break to some cool European city, I'll make sure Rohene's show is in town that day HOI doesn't come to Finland/Sweden/anywhere close to me anymore

On the Ice
    Hello TMC, great to meet a fellow self-employed translator on this forum! What languages/fields do you work in? I specialize in Japanese->English, mostly financial (securities). I don't skate, only dance, but I love watching figure skating. I'm very excited about the new Japanese pairs team (Narumi and Ryuichi), though they have a long way to go. I loved Narumi and Mervin's Runaway Baby exhibition!

Hi Sai Bon, likewise!

I work with all the Nordics (Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian, Danish, Icelandic) and of course English. As for fields - anything and everything! This past week I've done tootbrush bristles, tobacco additives and greyhound racing, among other randoms

Have you translators ever deliberately translated something wrong just for fun?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    Hi Sai Bon, likewise!

I work with all the Nordics (Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian, Danish, Icelandic) and of course English. As for fields - anything and everything! This past week I've done tootbrush bristles, tobacco additives and greyhound racing, among other randoms
    I'm fascinated by your work and Sai Bon's work. Gee, Finnish isn't exactly related to the other languages you work with. It's incredibly impressive that you have that language as well as the Germanic-based Scandinavian ones.

(Funny translation note: I once had a friend, now departed, who was a fabulous linguist. He was in Iceland on a trip and couldn't remember their word for bank. Knowing that Icelandic hadn't changed much since the days of the Prose Edda and the sagas, he approached someone on the street and asked where the nearest gold-hoard was. I think he did actually get directed to a bank!)

Wow, LOL that is funny! Gold hoard. I'm going to try that on bankers the next time.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Since we're talking translations...

While traveling in southern France a few years ago, we stopped at a lovely little bistro where the owner had very kindly had the menu translated into English. One of the day's specials was a shrimp & avocado salad that was described on the English side of the menu as "salad of shrimps and avocats."

So.........shrimp-and-lawyer salad, anyone? I'm a contract analyst by profession and work w/ attorneys on a daily basis so this one gave me one helluva good giggle!

No criticism of the restaurant intended here because my language skills are limited to VERY basic conversational French. It's just that I can think of a few lawyers whom I'd simply love to chop up into little pieces...

"Avocats"

If you guys want funny translations, Engrish.com is the master compendium. Having been in Asia for some quite definitely exposed me to quite a few of those Lost in Translation moments.

BTW I would also consider Kurt Browning as a partner! I couldn't keep up with those extraordinary feet of his though. I'd be the Maurizio Margaglio of the pair

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast