if you're a figure skater, what would you be? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

if you're a figure skater, what would you be?

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Brian's "historical" coach is Véronique Guyon. She taught him wonderful jump technique, and since he went back to her in 2010 he improved a lot, especially his stamina in FS.
I'm glad that they went to the Olympics together and that he ended his career with his first coach.
End of the long-winded, sentimental digression.

TMC

Record Breaker
Wow CaroLiza_fan you really went all-in there :clap: :laugh:

Love your music choices, especially Led Zeppelin and Vangelis

(My husband who is a DJ says if we ever have kids our son WILL be named Jarre Vangelis :D)

And now I'm very intrigued....did you rep Russia or how did you end up with that jacket? :scratch: :)

whole quote!

What an invigorating post to read on a freezing Monday morning. Thanks for all the great details about Icelandic. The way Icelandic coins new words from old (Number prophetess! Love it!) reminds me of the way the Navajo code talkers in World War II devised words for things such as submarines (they used their word for turtle). When you think of it, so much language is metaphorical. Think of "the world wide web."

By the way, I studied old languages also--Anglo-Saxon (old English), Middle English, and Old Welsh. Am rusty now, but enjoyed reading the old texts! So you can see why I love learning about your work and the work of the other translators and language experts on GS. I can never get enough of thinking about this!

As for our main thread element, skating...my favorite job in the skating world would be finding music. If I could suddenly be brave and non-klutzy and be an actual skater, I'd love to have the flow and footwork of Yuka Sato.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Brian's "historical" coach is Véronique Guyon. She taught him wonderful jump technique, and since he went back to her in 2010 he improved a lot, especially his stamina in FS.
I'm glad that they went to the Olympics together and that he ended his career with his first coach.
End of the long-winded, sentimental digression.

Thank you, bartlebooth! I knew it was a female coach, but I ended up picking the wrong one! :laugh:

By the way, I just watched a video of Rudy's "Swan Lake" at 1996 Nationals. All I can say is "WOW!!!!" :jaw: Is it any wonder that he won the Championships that year?!

I have never watched Rudy before (he was before I started getting into skating), but that was really enjoyable to watch. And his reaction to the scores! We never see anybody getting that excited nowadays!

I'm going to have to look up more of his stuff!

Love your music choices, especially Led Zeppelin and Vangelis

(My husband who is a DJ says if we ever have kids our son WILL be named Jarre Vangelis :D)

Thank you. Led Zeppelin is my second favourite band after Queen. But, as we have found, Queen music doesn't always translate well onto the ice. I think the Zeppelin music would suit skating very well, though.

Although I have no plans on having children, my son would probably be something like Joey Daijiro... (after two of my favourite motorbike racers, both killed doing the sport they loved)

And now I'm very intrigued....did you rep Russia or how did you end up with that jacket? :scratch:

eBay is a wonderful thing... ;)

Strangely, the Team Russia jacket (a 2010 Vancouver edition) was bought from somebody in ITALY!!!

I had bought it with the intention of wearing it, because I wanted a light jacket to use in the summer when my other (heavier) coats would look silly. Unfortunately, recent events involving Russia have kinda put me off the idea of wearing it in public.

But, the thought of somebody thinking I represented any country at anything has just made my day! :cool:

CaroLiza_fan

TMC

Record Breaker
By the way, I studied old languages also--Anglo-Saxon (old English), Middle English, and Old Welsh.

No way!!!! Where did you study?

I was thisclose to going to Oxford to read Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic myself!!!! We seem to have some very weird similar interests - figure skating and old languages, what a combo :biggrin:
Every time we watch Vikings I say to my husband "you know, it could have been me consulting those producers and actors" and he goes :rolleye:

Missing Oxford was totally my own fault: this was in -96 when www was still a toddler. I found that year's Times Good Uni Guide somewhere on t'internet and thought hey, Oxford's number 2 and that A-S, N & C combo looks just about obscure enough for me. Then I went on the Uni's own site and after about 5 mins or "research" I realised I had missed the dealine - or thought I had. I just read so quickly that where it said October I read February :rolleye: So I went with Edinburgh instead and I'm so glad I did because it's the most beautiful city in the world :)

TMC

Record Breaker
Thank you. Led Zeppelin is my second favourite band after Queen. But, as we have found, Queen music doesn't always translate well onto the ice. I think the Zeppelin music would suit skating very well, though.

Although I have no plans on having children, my son would probably be something like Joey Daijiro... (after two of my favourite motorbike racers, both killed doing the sport they loved)

That is a wonderful way to honour the memory of someone important to you - whether a relative or a "stranger" that you admire.

eBay is a wonderful thing... ;)

Strangely, the Team Russia jacket (a 2010 Vancouver edition) was bought from somebody in ITALY!!!

I had bought it with the intention of wearing it, because I wanted a light jacket to use in the summer when my other (heavier) coats would look silly. Unfortunately, recent events involving Russia have kinda put me off the idea of wearing it in public.

But, the thought of somebody thinking I represented any country at anything has just made my day! :cool:

CaroLiza_fan

I'm happy for that :laugh:

Yeah, I understand - I'd feel v. awkward too...

No way!!!! Where did you study?

I was thisclose to going to Oxford to read Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic myself!!!! We seem to have some very weird similar interests - figure skating and old languages, what a combo :biggrin:
Every time we watch Vikings I say to my husband "you know, it could have been me consulting those producers and actors" and he goes :rolleye:

Missing Oxford was totally my own fault: this was in -96 when www was still a toddler. I found that year's Times Good Uni Guide somewhere on t'internet and thought hey, Oxford's number 2 and that A-S, N & C combo looks just about obscure enough for me. Then I went on the Uni's own site and after about 5 mins or "research" I realised I had missed the dealine - or thought I had. I just read so quickly that where it said October I read February :rolleye: So I went with Edinburgh instead and I'm so glad I did because it's the most beautiful city in the world :)

I'm glad you went to Edinburgh, too. A friend of mine studied at St. Andrews for a graduate degree and loved Scotland. I got to Edinburgh once and agree that the city is splendid. Though Oxford...what an intoxicating thought. I studied Old English and Old French in undergrad in the U.S. and Welsh in grad school in Wales. I enjoyed all of it hugely, though I didn't go into languages as my profession.