Beginner Skater: Edges/Weight Distribution stuff | Golden Skate

Beginner Skater: Edges/Weight Distribution stuff

randomyemil

Spectator
Hey There!
I'm a beginner Australian skater and am seeking some help on an element I need to pass a level (basic 2).
It's called a "alternating half-swizzle pumps in a straight line" and i've been told its a drill leading up to a forward slalom. It's supposed to be quite simple but i'm struggling to keep be non-swizzling leg straight and it just looks like i'm doing normal forward swizzles (or lemons, as some may call them).
Could it be weight distribution?
Thanks- I know it's such a simple element but i'm quite clueless here :)!

elle_e

On the Ice
Yay, another aussie :D

I had the exact same problem back in basic 2- my half swizzle pumps were no different from my swizzles. The trick is to keep a constant knee bend on the non swizzling leg- it'll help with going in a straight line. In my opinion, the half swizzle pump really doesn't help with the slalom. What happens is that when you start learning the slalom, you'll end up half swizzle pumping instead, because it's difficult use the same amount of force to push off both legs at once.

You'll learn to do the half swizzle pump on a circle- which leads up to crossovers, one of the most vital moves you'll need to know. You shouldn't have a problem passing basic 2, and if you can't perfect the half swizzle pumps, it won't hinder your ability to do good crossovers :)

gkelly

Record Breaker
Hey There!
I'm a beginner Australian skater and am seeking some help on an element I need to pass a level (basic 2).
It's called a "alternating half-swizzle pumps in a straight line" and i've been told its a drill leading up to a forward slalom. It's supposed to be quite simple but i'm struggling to keep be non-swizzling leg straight and it just looks like i'm doing normal forward swizzles (or lemons, as some may call them).

What do you mean by "keep the non-swizzling leg straight"?

Pointing straight down the line while the swizzling leg curves out to the side?

You don't want to keep it straight in the sense of the knee unbent -- if anything, the knee of the non-swizzling leg should bend more than the swizzling one.