Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Agnes & Mirai

Custom Title
    Maybe she should stay with Tom. She needs the technical help he can give her. Plus she would be around friend Agnes. Why Not!

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flying camel View Post
    Maybe she should stay with Tom. She needs the technical help he can give her. Plus she would be around friend Agnes. Why Not!
    Maybe Nagasu already plans to return to Tom Z in the near future. Maybe not.

But for now, he presumably is going to Japan with Max Aaron for Worlds.
    And then Nagasu will be traveling in April and May for the Stars On Ice tour.

We'll have to stay tuned for further developments, as they say ...

I think next season will be do or die for both of these ladies. They are close enough to see the mountain. Can they get to the top, or will they stand still and let the new kids on the block push past them?

Custom Title
    I think Polina has already pushed past Agnes to be honest. Agnes has not only stood still the last couple years but she's going backwards.

Custom Title
    no they are underscored,

why. like caroline zhang their ur's and edge calls aren't overlooked. just look at this & past Olympic winners.

what vassilov said cant tell the truth about skaters.

why bother downgrading or marking things off.
    hey why bother having computers they aren't used anyway because if was judges & technical callers could see everything.

why high definition the mistakes become glaring and bigger to the (natural) eye.

Custom Title
    Tom Z would be a disaster for Mirai. He cares nothing about presentation, and Mirai's lackluster presentation holds her back almost as much as her URs, if not more.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    She showed a spark of her 2010 self at nationals this year, which was part of the reason her being left off of the team was so sad.

But I do agree that unless she wants it, it won't happen. Mirai can't decide to skate like she wants to win once every four years...she'll never get anywhere like that.
    I think another thing is that Nagasu had a similar arc in 2010 - don't forget, she really struggled in '09 and managed to pull herself together in time for 2010 Nationals to place 2nd (many thought she deserved to win). Even though Wagner had a better GP and went to the GPF, Nagasu got the nod as USFS stuck with 1-2 for Vancouver. I suppose many thought it might be the same in 2014 - despite Wagner having a stronger overall season, Nagasu's triumph over Wagner at Nationals would get her to Sochi just like it got her to Vancouver 4 years ago. Tough situation altogether...honestly, I was going back and forth as to whether she deserved to go to the Olympics or not. But Wagner was more decorated and had more sponsors/NBC promotion this time around...odds were not in Nagasu's favor.

This might be a chance for Nagasu to pull a Sotnikova and show USFS that they were wrong to "cast her aside" so soon. I think this year's Nationals showed that (like I expected) she is still very much in the mix - she just needs a coach who can guide her, motivate her and improve her. If she comes back next year, wins Nationals and shows she can compete with Gold as the US' best, then sky could be the limit for her. She just needs to put in the effort - year-round, not just at pre-Olympic nationals. Seems like that's the message they gave her when they chose Wagner/Edmunds over her for the Olympics.

As for Zawadzki, any word on whether she is continuing on or has retired? I know she was in a tough spot financially...such a low finish at Nationals might mean she would have to go back to qualifying for Nats the old way/no GPs?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    This might be a chance for Nagasu to pull a Sotnikova and show USFS that they were wrong to "cast her aside" so soon. I think this year's Nationals showed that (like I expected) she is still very much in the mix - she just needs a coach who can guide her, motivate her and improve her. If she comes back next year, wins Nationals and shows she can compete with Gold as the US' best, then sky could be the limit for her. She just needs to put in the effort - year-round, not just at pre-Olympic nationals. Seems like that's the message they gave her when they chose Wagner/Edmunds over her for the Olympics.
    Mirai beat Gracie at 2015 Nationals? NOT going to happen. Mirai was the best she's been in years at 2014 Nationals and Gracie beat her by 21 points. Gracie is still developing and improving under Carroll, while Mirai still does not even have a coach.

As for Zawadzki, any word on whether she is continuing on or has retired? I know she was in a tough spot financially...such a low finish at Nationals might mean she would have to go back to qualifying for Nats the old way/no GPs?
    Agnes is #20 on the ISU World Ranking list. She might get passed by a few skaters at Worlds, but I think she still might be top 24 at season's end. Getting a GP might depend on whether USFS submits her name for invitations. Mirai is #23 on both ISU and SB lists and might get bumped from both, but will probably be submitted for the GP.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Mirai beat Gracie at 2015 Nationals? NOT going to happen. Mirai was the best she's been in years at 2014 Nationals and Gracie beat her by 21 points. Gracie is still developing and improving under Carroll, while Mirai still does not even have a coach.
    While a valid point, don't forget that Gold will go into those Nationals as the DEFENDING CHAMPION and as Wagner found out last year, that's an entirely different kind of pressure than what she's used to dealing with...nothing can be ruled out.

Custom Title
    Wagner won her first US championship in 2012 and successfully defended her championship in 2013. What made Wagner nervous this year was Olympic pressure. Of course it didn't help that Gold was nailing everything in practice while displaying a new calmness and confidence.

If anyone is going to pose a threat to Gold, it isn't going to be Mirai, it will be Polina.

Quote Originally Posted by fairly4 View Post
    no they are underscored,
    I will never be convinced that they only score based on the individual program, they extend the score given to represent the season and "fortitude " of the skaters. JMO but likely counts for 2% of a score the final score - are they still doing the qualify in between the s.p and the Long?, i.o.w as they might say to themselves "how have they been doing. example might be Ashley going to Olys despite nationals (without question) per se

Custom Title
    I think this was the do or die year for Agnes. And that ship sailed...................

Mirai. Who knows. I don't see her beating Gracie and I don't see her beating Polina. But with her you just never know.

Down With It
    Wagner won her first US championship in 2012 and successfully defended her championship in 2013.
    ...falling twice in the process, and later blaming it on pressure...she claimed it was the "hardest thing [she'd] ever done" or something to that effect. The only reason she won is because Gold tanked the SP hard...(and Wagner received some "score padding" in FS, IIRC)

I think we know by now Wagner does not do well under pressure. But how about Gold? She has a shaky past, but jury will be out on "Gold v2.0" as we move forward. Curious to see how it shakes out.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4