Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 58

Thread: Agnes & Mirai

  1. #31
    In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    531
    This is just random speculation, but since Mirai is being paid for SOI, and if they both worked part time, perhaps they could pool their resources and start fresh in a tiny apartment roommate sitch somewhere else entirely. But it's silly enough for me to think that much money grows on trees :/ Mirai showed spark at Nationals, and I'm not yet ready to write Agnes off.
    So for now, I'll just hope Kori Ade scoops them both up

  2. #32
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6
    I've come across many posts regarding Mirai Nagasu's alleged poor work ethics, etc. I'm curious as to the sources regarding this info, or perhaps they themselves have seen Ms.Nagasu in training? The limited times I've seen her practice skate in the past, didn't think she was any different from other skaters on the ice.

  3. #33
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,007
    Quote Originally Posted by desertskates View Post
    This is just random speculation, but since Mirai is being paid for SOI, and if they both worked part time, perhaps they could pool their resources and start fresh in a tiny apartment roommate sitch somewhere else entirely. But it's silly enough for me to think that much money grows on trees :/ Mirai showed spark at Nationals, and I'm not yet ready to write Agnes off.
    So for now, I'll just hope Kori Ade scoops them both up
    Yep! That would awesome. Actually it would be quite beneficial. There's a lot of ice time in Monument.

  4. #34
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,163
    Quote Originally Posted by b-man View Post
    I thought Mirai was on B envelope this year due to a bronze medal at NHK (2012-13) season. I thought a bronze at Boston Nationals this year would put her in envelope A next year, though I could be wrong. She should also get some kind of paycheck for all the SOI tour appearances coming up.
    A envelope is National Champion, World/Olympic medalists usually

  5. #35
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,163
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlee View Post
    I've come across many posts regarding Mirai Nagasu's alleged poor work ethics, etc. I'm curious as to the sources regarding this info, or perhaps they themselves have seen Ms.Nagasu in training? The limited times I've seen her practice skate in the past, didn't think she was any different from other skaters on the ice.
    Most of this belief revolves around her own admitance that she didn't work that hard in Artesia on the days she didn't commute to Palm Springs which she mentioned in her telecon pre-nationals in 2012 (when FrankC was in PS and she was commuting) and other implications from Charlene Wong when they parted ways after 2009 Nationals (she didn't come out and SAY that Nagasu's work ethic was questionable, but she did dance around it and imply it). These, along with the story about her leaving the ice in tears during the first week she was working with FrankC because of his training methods/plans make people question it. Also, a lot of people around this sport have eyes and either she doesn't work hard or she doesn't work smart in practice because her programs typically start well but as they progress, she slows down and the number of UR and DG jumps increases which implies that she's not well trained. This implies that she doesn't do full runthroughs consistently in practice.

  6. #36
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    A envelope is National Champion, World/Olympic medalists usually
    I looked it up, Mirai gets envelope B, tier 1 next year, as either 2nd to 4th at Boston Nats, or as 1st Alternate to Olympics and World's team.
    Agnes, with her 6th and 7th in grand prix events, 4th in a senior B, and 11th at Nationals, goes from envelope B this year, to apparently not qualyfying for any funding next year, not envelope B or C.

  7. #37
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Actually, Gao took a leave of absence from Harvard to train/compete this season. She has not been taking classes since her first semester as a freshman at Harvard.
    ...
    Mini-update:
    Gao was back in class at Harvard at the end of January ... just days after Boston Nats ended.
    And she remains an impressive scholar-athlete.
    http://instagram.com/p/lapRl8JjUm/ (Mar 11 photo from gao_christina)

  8. #38
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,987
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    And she remains an impressive scholar-athlete.
    http://instagram.com/p/lapRl8JjUm/ (Mar 11 photo from gao_christina)

  9. #39
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    936
    Well, I've recently re-watched the final flight of Vancouver, and Mirai's performance had quite a similar quality to Adelina's performance in Sochi. (including flutz) Mirai had all the qualities she needed to become a top skater - Good speed, solid jumps, amazing spins, etc. And she had a post-puberty body already in 2010.

  10. #40
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,441
    It is not 2010 any more. Mirai has a different body and unfortunately she no longer skates with the expression and enthusiasm she had four years ago. Even at 2010 Worlds just a month later, she was a completely different skater and the Vancouver Mirai was already gone.

    It's unrealistic for Mirai fans to expect a reincarnation of the 2010 Mirai. No matter how hard she trains or how good a coach she finds, her body is completely different and so is her outlook. She can certainly improve her skating deficiencies (URs, stamina issues) but she has to want to express some kind of personality on the ice, something that she has seemingly been reluctant to do for the past four years. Technically correct skating alone won't help the sagging PCS scores she's been receiving from ISU judges. She has to show that she is fully invested in her skating and even feels some kind of joy in it, or she'll never get the high PCS scores she used to get back in 2010.

  11. #41
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,768
    Quote Originally Posted by b-man View Post
    I looked it up, Mirai gets envelope B, tier 1 next year, as either 2nd to 4th at Boston Nats, or as 1st Alternate to Olympics and World's team.
    Agnes, with her 6th and 7th in grand prix events, 4th in a senior B, and 11th at Nationals, goes from envelope B this year, to apparently not qualyfying for any funding next year, not envelope B or C.
    This is correct. Mirai gets envelope B which is frankly the best she could have hoped for.

    As far as I can tell, Agnes does not have any funding from USFSA, no. This is going to be really rough for her.

  12. #42
    Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,408
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    It is not 2010 any more. Mirai has a different body and unfortunately she no longer skates with the expression and enthusiasm she had four years ago. Even at 2010 Worlds just a month later, she was a completely different skater and the Vancouver Mirai was already gone.

    It's unrealistic for Mirai fans to expect a reincarnation of the 2010 Mirai. No matter how hard she trains or how good a coach she finds, her body is completely different and so is her outlook. She can certainly improve her skating deficiencies (URs, stamina issues) but she has to want to express some kind of personality on the ice, something that she has seemingly been reluctant to do for the past four years. Technically correct skating alone won't help the sagging PCS scores she's been receiving from ISU judges. She has to show that she is fully invested in her skating and even feels some kind of joy in it, or she'll never get the high PCS scores she used to get back in 2010.
    She showed a spark of her 2010 self at nationals this year, which was part of the reason her being left off of the team was so sad.

    But I do agree that unless she wants it, it won't happen. Mirai can't decide to skate like she wants to win once every four years...she'll never get anywhere like that. Just imagine if she'd given that amount of energy and determination to her performances from the 2010-2011 season to now. She'd probably have won nationals a few more times and been a world medalist.

    She's dug herself into a hole but she can get out of it if she works. She needs to continue to work on her jumps (which were much better at COR and nationals) but most importantly she needs two great programs and she needs to perform them, not just skate them. If she can do that with a modicum of consistency, her scores will start to rise. She's capable of getting scores necessary to be competitive but she's coming from behind, having been one of the promising stars who fell off and never quite got back. Mirai has missed her easy train to the top (which was the 2010-2011 season when the world stage was open for her) so know she has to fight.

    If she wants it bad enough, she can make it happen. I don't know if she wants it bad enough yet. Hopefully doing well at nationals and then being left off of the teams has lit a fire under her and now she's ready to prove herself. We'll see...

  13. #43
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,213
    @mirai_nagasu tweeted that today is her last day in Colorado Springs.

  14. #44
    P/B Appreciation Squad fleeting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    @mirai_nagasu tweeted that today is her last day in Colorado Springs.
    Oooh. I wonder where she's headed now. I hope she doesn't bounce around this time and finds a coach that can help her with jumps and the emotion. She still has great potential, if she puts forward enough effort.

  15. #45
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,213
    Tom Zakrajsek
    ‏@CoachTomZ
    .@mirai_nagasu U deserved shopping day w/ @agneszawadzki after working so hard these past 3 weeks as WT alternate. I c a 3a in your future!
    9:00 PM - 19 Mar 2014
    https://twitter.com/CoachTomZ/status...96582410588162

    Emphasis added.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •