"Growing Pains" - for Canada | Page 2 | Golden Skate

"Growing Pains" - for Canada

thvudragon

On the Ice
mike79 said:
Langlois&Archetto deserved to at least be ahead of Obertas&Slavnov. I think that O&S might be a better team overall but they were inferior that night.
I don't really see how. O&S have more content in their programs, and their elements are of a higher quality (except for their lifts). It makes up for L&A being cleaner and having emptier programs. O&S also do the throw 3loop and 3flip while The highest throw LangArch do is a 3sal.

I'm not sure why people are saying they are being undermarked. They only have up to a throw 3salchow and their programs are very empty choreographically.

TV

Emmaly

Spectator
Actually Anabelle and Pat do a throw toe!! which i have heard is harder!

And i think thvudragon was very out of line with what he or she said!! if i recall Anabelle and Patrice were top 5 last year!! or did u miss that! so obviously they can be in top 5!! i think some people can be so negative!! also the commentators even said they had 2 of the best designed programs in the competition so i dont know what u are looking at!! u think being negative and saying all these bad things will make them any better... its only putting them down!! they had the best short program they have done this season at worlds!! for u to speark so negative about this team is just cruel!

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
My notes on the two pairs after expanding the shorthand read:

Short Program:

L&A: Long throw 3S, deep edge out. Lateral 2Tw shoulder height. SBS 3T's. Lost speed and unison on SBS spin. (Don't love the spin.) Spirited footwork. Great pairs spin. She almost slipped going around corner in front of us. [No notes on lift or BODS.]

O&S: SBS 3's (T's), little out-of-synch but nice. HIGH lateral 2Tw. low free leg on landing of 3Th [didn't catch takeoff, another note I can't read]. Out of synch at end of SBS spins. Energy until lift, slowing, wonky landing. Not a lot of Spanish energy or feel to footwork. BODS a little crunchy. Pair spin slowed.

L&A are in the stands, staring straight ahead like they've been hit over the head with a mallet, waiting to be dropped into lower groups.

Long Program:

O&S: [can't read] slow. She stepped out 3T into 2T. HUGE lateral 2Tw, as high as Chinese pairs. She turned out of SBS 3's (entry looked like Sal). Throw 3Tw w/light landing. Smooth turning side star*. Flip up lift to perfect star position, great back like Berankova. Sloppy variation on FIDS, awkward entrance into it. Hand down on 3Th. Skid split across ice, gorgeous. Simple turning star* lift perfect. SBS camel spins. Straighline footwork, nice, gains speed. Lovely position in slow arabesque lift. Pairs spin nice, in spite of heavy, miring music. She's distraught. So much talent to mine!

*Edited to add: I'm describing the air positions, not the type of lift.

L&A: Ovation not as spirited as for M&B. HUGE, light 3S. He hand down on SBS 3T. Nice rhythmic split twist -- bump? SBS 3T/2T sequence -- landed! Terrific lift. Spread eagles nested and then apart to big "Lawrence of Arabia" melody. Nice spin with changes of position. Banana lift to dance lift. Best pairs spin of the night so far, great transitions in front of judges. Spread eagles, she straight, he in plie. Lots of circular cross-overs to low landing on 3Th (T?) Great SBS pairs spin, good speed. Turning lift. FIDS to [dance?] lift to straightline footwork, slightly out of synch. Sliding BODS -- glitch? She needs to stretch in lifts.

Last edited:

bleuchick

On the Ice
Emmaly said:

And i think thvudragon was very out of line with what he or she said!! if i recall Anabelle and Patrice were top 5 last year!! or did u miss that! so obviously they can be in top 5!! i think some people can be so negative!! also the commentators even said they had 2 of the best designed programs in the competition so i dont know what u are looking at!! u think being negative and saying all these bad things will make them any better... its only putting them down!! they had the best short program they have done this season at worlds!! for u to speark so negative about this team is just cruel!

Emmaly - don't get upset, this is TV on this site and other forums.

....mention L/A and you bet TV will show...so :sheesh:

On the bright side, L/A have a summer to improve and come back next year ready.

Never underestimate them. Mark my words. ;)

Last edited:

boggartlaura

On the Ice
Emmaly said:

thvu was critical, but didn't bash L/A. If you don't want to read critcism, don't read any message boards.

Kateri

On the Ice
Yeah - no skater is perfect, there are always weaknesses, and someone will be sure to point them out! That's fair criticism, although you are entitled to debate whether it is a fair assessment of that team's quality.
What would be "out of line" would be personal attacks, or unsubstantiated claims that the team were useless, with no actual evidence.
Constructive criticism is helpful - after all, the judges are gonna be looking for every fault, it's best to spot them early!

k

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
thvudragon:

Wow! This is a bit harsh, don't you think? Actually L&A are a lovely pair to watch. They have some work to do and they realize they have to "take it up a notch" to compete with other teams, but they skate well together. I loved their program. They had a rough season. I am confident they will be there next season with a fresh new start!

Langois and Archetto are perhaps the most overrated pair today IMO. The only thing they do well are their lifts and death spirals. Besides that, their elements are weak and are extremely telegraphed (especially their jumps). Add that to the fact that their highest throw is the 3salchow when the other teams are doing the loop and the flip.

bleuchick

On the Ice
I think some of us here have figured out this much...

On one hand there is criticism and on the other criticism. That is, the two are different.

Last edited: