The Start of New Skaters in 2014 Worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Start of New Skaters in 2014 Worlds

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
^great post and great insight. Thx

I've posted this probably way too many times but I should have waited until now because if you look at where Yulia was in 2010(the start of last quad) and where she is now it is kinda scary that some 11 yr old kid might be out there with similar ambitions.

Again...the spiral at 0:48 mark :love: 12 seconds!!!
http://youtu.be/7pOyZc7Wur8

Thanks! And wow, I'd never seen that video of Julia. I liked her hyper-extended change-of-edge spiral...that's impressive!

Thanks so much for your insights and your information about the up-and-coming skaters. I don't really know much about any of them except for the Russians we've been discussing (and now watching) for the past few seasons and a few of the Americans. I'm sentimental about Japan and always want them to have a few stars in the mix, so I'm hopeful that some of the ones you mention will realize their potential.

I've been following the junior ladies for several years now and I've been covering the JGP/JGPF and Junior worlds on my blog since the 2011-2012 season. It's a lot of fun! :biggrin: I like it b/c you get to see the skaters from the beginning and watch them grow through the years. Sometimes it's disappointing b/c you see all of the potential during their junior days and then they can't quite realize it once they get to the senior level...but it's also really amazing when you watch skaters progress from junior to newbie senior to veteran and see how much they've grown and matured since their junior days. Plus there's always someone to be excited about.

Another plus when a skater pops onto the scene and steals the show you're already ahead of the game. A lot of people had never even heard of Polina Edmunds before nationals this year but I'd watched her on the JGP. So while everyone else is all, "Who is that? Where did she come from?" you can be all, "Oh, her? She's been kicking butt on the junior level all season..." or something like that. :biggrin:

LRK

Record Breaker
I'm curious, and I have a question for those who are knowledgeable about juniors - what juniors are likely to move up into the senior ranks next year?

Elena Radionova I'd assume - and... ?

My question regards all disciplines, though, not only ladies. :) Any answers/info would be greatly appreciated - so thanks in advance! :)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Personally, I'm hoping she'll retire. I love Mao (adores her) but the new generation of ladies is here and I'm ready for them to take over.

same, I want all veterans to retire after 2014 Worlds
and make room for the new blood

Meoima

Match Penalty
Gracie is one of the bright stars in the coming 2014-2018 quad
and there are other talented skaters too but for now, Gracie is the safest bet to become a multiple World Champion.
2016 Worlds, she has a high chance of winning in Boston
Gold is lovely on ice. I am not a fan of her off-ice moment but I have to admit she looks lovely on ice, full of energy. I hope she will shine in worlds.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think Radionova's going to be one to watch actually. She's got the energy and projection, she just needs to refine her movements. I recall Julia being the same having frenetic juniorish movements (and showing her flexibility too many times in a skate without much finesse or musicality), and then she became more mature. I'm sure Radionova can do the same, and with her speed and difficulty, she's sure to be a contender. After all, Radionova did make the GPF and has the technical goods to win... add more refined artistry to that and we could have another Lipnitskaia. I'm picturing Elena to win the 2017 Worlds and likely a medal in South Korea, if she maintains her pace.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm curious, and I have a question for those who are knowledgeable about juniors - what juniors are likely to move up into the senior ranks next year?

Elena Radionova I'd assume - and... ?

My question regards all disciplines, though, not only ladies. :) Any answers/info would be greatly appreciated - so thanks in advance! :)

Well Radionova has already competed in seniors in the GP/GPF. But she will be fully senior in 2014-2015.

Ladies:
Amber Glenn, USA : She will not be old enough for the GP until the 2015-2016 season. She will move up in the domestic level.
Karen Chen USA: She also is not old enough, She will be in 2015-2016. She will likely move up at the domestic level.
Maria Sotskova, RUS: Too young; won't qualify for GP until 2015-2016
Evgenia Medvedeva, RUS: Won't qualify for GP until 2015-2016
Alexandria Proklova, RUS: Won't qualify for GP until 2015-2016
Serfima Sakhanovich, RUS: Won't qualify for GP until 2015-2016

Basically, get ready for an ONSALUGHT OF NEW SENIOR SKATERS IN 2015-2016!!!!

Angela Wang, USA, Hannah Miller, USA, Barbie Long USA and Mariah Bell USA, are all senior domestically but may all opt to do JGP for ranking points. None of them have the SB to get a guaranteed GP at this point, though I could see them getting a host pick for Skate America.

Men:
Jordan Moeller, USA: He plans to move up to senior at least domestically. Not sure if he will do so at the international level.
Nathan Chen, USA: He will be old enough for GP. I believe he will move up domestically and internationally.
Keiji Tanaka, JPN: He has aged out of juniors. He competed at 4CC this year.
Jin Boyang, CHN: He will probably move up, I think. He is already old enough for seniors.
Adian Pitkeev, RUS: He is old enough; I'd expect he would try to move up to senior
Alexander Petrov, RUS: He will be old enough to move up.
Ryuju Hino, JPN: He ages out of juniors this year so he will have to move up.

Dance:
Hawayek/Baker, USA: They will move up since Baker has aged out of juniors.
Parsons/Parsons, USA: They will age out so will have to move up to senior
Quinn/Carpenter, USA: They still have junior eligibility and won't be surprised if they stay junior another year due to the crowded field at the senior level.

Last edited:

desertskates

Medalist
Sam-Skwantch, thanks for the Yulia vid!!
And Kwanatic, thanks for a very good common sense breakdown of people on the radar to be watching for. The next 4 will indeed be interesting.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Gracie will probably never become a world champion :( It's so sad

Julia and Zijun are the future. I think Mao's staying in for at least 2 more years

You think? :\ ,
I already have her predicted as the 2006 Wolrd Lysacek in Boston.

But yes, It's so weird looking at Ladies after he age of Kim\Kostner\Asada,

I can see both Wagner and Gold threatening medals in the next couple of years, And any of the Russians making it through in whichever year trying to hold them
down, I can't see any other European country threatening medals, And I'd imagine we'll get athletes from Japan and South Korea (4CC next year) getting pushed towards 2-3 years from now, i would love to see Edmunds rise, Her body is interesting to watch, I hate hate hate her SP ballroom choreography though !

SkateToronto

On the Ice
Unfortunately, Canada doesn't look all that promising - although it rarely does in the ladies event. I know a lot of people like Kaetlyn Osmond. However, she reminds me a lot of Jennifer Robinson. I actually hold out more hope for Gabrielle Daleman.

We'll see.

I don't think the next Olympic cycle will be fantastic for Canada.

tripletwizzle

Rinkside
We'll just have to wait and see. Polina, Julia, Elena, Karen etc. all have to finish growing and who knows how their skating quality/jumps will be after that? Gracie has had a ton of hype heaped upon her and she's definitely improved her nerves issue with Frank's help but who knows if she'll be able to live up to all the hype the USFSA has produced about her? Even at her best it may not be entirely up to her, as we have seen--at any time some new star can rise up out of nowhere and knock you down the podium and that's that. Looking forward to seeing how the new hierarchy arranges itself!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Unfortunately, Canada doesn't look all that promising - although it rarely does in the ladies event. I know a lot of people like Kaetlyn Osmond. However, she reminds me a lot of Jennifer Robinson. I actually hold out more hope for Gabrielle Daleman.

We'll see.

I think Daleman has potential. She skates with a lot of speed and attacks her programs. Same with Osmond, who I'd like to see diversify in her program choices and interpretation.

It's nice to have Canadian women who don't have a frail deer-in-headlights look, but who actually go out there and skate with confidence.

I don't think they'll be World medal contenders with the depth of the field, but they can certainly get GP medals and top 10 finishes at Worlds to maintain spots.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I'd take Daleman over Osmond as with the better longevity in their career
Daleman has good jumps and good arsenal while Osmond cant barely get a 3-2 let alone just a 3T-3T, she Flutzes and falls occasionally in the FS

donezo

On the Ice
Kwanatic's breakdown is pretty spectacular. I think this quad will be all about the U.S. and Russian ladies. I am confident that Adelina can be in it until 2018 and will probably rack up a whole bunch of titles. She finally learned how to compete this season. The sky is truly the limit for her considering her talent level. I can only hope that she uses this time to truly improve artistically and not rest on her laurels. Domestic competition should at least keep her on her toes. Yulia has always worried me. That flexibility can't last forever, and her jumps can be scary (particularly the double axel). I've always thought 2014 was her year, and I am unsure of her prospects going forward. The same goes for the other Russian wunderkinds, but I have a lot of faith in Elena Radionova for whatever reason. That girl has a killer instinct and will do whatever it takes to win. I feel like she is going to will herself through puberty and win World medals no matter what happens. The opposite is true of Anna Pogorilaya, who seems to have the right body to hold out through 2018, but she seems to lack the drive and focus of some of the other top Russian girls. The way she just sat there after falling at the end of her GPF long program is deeply troubling to me.

Gracie has really come into her own at the end of this season, and I for sure see her contending for World titles. Polina is another one who has that competitive instinct and could do very well for herself over the next four years. As for the rest of the U.S. Ladies.....hard to say. There are certainly bright spots (Karen Chen especially). That third spot could be a wild card for the next few years. Or it will probably just go to Ashley Wagner until she retires.....who knows.

I'm really pulling for Satoko Miyahara to come through for Japan. She has such a lovely, unique style and is a marvelous spinner. Li Zijun has World Champion potential, but she needs a lot of work. I wasn't particularly impressed with her level of performance in Sochi. She stayed on her feet, but it was all a bit vacant and low energy.

I'm also excited about ice dance going forward. Pyeongchang is already Ilinykh/Katsalapov's to lose, but as we all know, they can really crash and burn and throw things away. The burden is on Elena and Nikita to focus and deliver for the next four years. Cappellini/Lanotte have an extraordinary opportunity to land on the World podium multiple times between now and 2018....I sincerely hope they stick with it and don't retire. However, they will be the elder statesmen of the ice dance world. Ditto Weaver/Poje, who should benefit from being Canada's number one for the foreseeable future. I wonder what the future holds for Bobrova/Soloviev. Now that I/K have firmly established themselves as Russian #1, I hope the judges completely dump B/S. They were so painfully out of their league in the final free dance flight in Sochi.

The Americans have exciting prospects, but it may be awhile before they're back on the Worlds podium. Chock/Bates are probably good for a National title or two, but Hubbell/Donohue could be biting at their heels. Hawayek/Baker could be on the way up next season, and Aldridge/Eaton have potential. It might even be tough for the Shibs to make it out of Nationals should they continue.

I am also very excited about Papadakis/Cizeron, Hurtado/Diaz, and Gilles/Poirer. Honestly, those were my three favorite free dances of the season, and I hope international judges start to recognize the innovation they bring to the sport. I'd love to see all three teams consistently in the Worlds top 10 going forward.

kresslia

Medalist

We'll see.

Well, depends. It likely won't be as promising as this past cycle, of course. I don't know about gold medals, but we do have medal hopes currently. Although that could mean nothing 4 years from now. Our main hopes are W/P, Chan (if he sticks around) MT/M and D/R (I have more faith in MT/M though). I've also got my eye on Nam Nguyen for the future, just got a funny feeling about that kid.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Well, depends. It likely won't be as promising as this past cycle, of course. I don't know about gold medals, but we do have medal hopes currently. Although that could mean nothing 4 years from now. Our main hopes are W/P, Chan (if he sticks around) MT/M and D/R (I have more faith in MT/M though). I've also got my eye on Nam Nguyen for the future, just got a funny feeling about that kid.

Are W&P planning to stay as long as another Olympics? I kind of assumed they would probably depart at some point before the next Olympics. I guess it depends on how things go season by season.

Chan doesn't sound like he will go to another Olympics, but he says he is interested in going to another Worlds.

I also assume that D&R will move on before the next Olympics, but maybe they'll take it year by year, too. M-T&M say they're planning to go for another Olympics, even though Dylan is getting 'old' in pairs skating terms.

L_Canada

Rinkside
:thumbsup:
I'd take Daleman over Osmond as with the better longevity in their career
Daleman has good jumps and good arsenal while Osmond cant barely get a 3-2 let alone just a 3T-3T, she Flutzes and falls occasionally in the FS