Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Start of New Skaters in 2014 Worlds

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pointyourtoe View Post
    Gracie will probably never become a world champion :( It's so sad

Julia and Zijun are the future. I think Mao's staying in for at least 2 more years
    What What!

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Whoa!!! I missed the Mao comment somehow.
    Any solid info on this, anyone?

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by desertskates View Post
    Whoa!!! I missed the Mao comment somehow.
    Any solid info on this, anyone?
    Just that she said she was 50/50 on deciding whether or not to continue. I'm wondering if the results of worlds this year will have any bearing on her decision? It could go either way though: (a) she wins and decides she can retire as a 3-time world champ which would give her the most world titles of her generation of skaters, or (b) she wins and it motivates her to continue to push forward and skate.

Personally, I'm hoping she'll retire. I love Mao (adores her) but the new generation of ladies is here and I'm ready for them to take over.

Going forward I think Gracie and Polina are two solid bets for the US now. There are many skaters still coming up through the ranks who can make a mark and, as we saw with Julia, it doesn't take long. She debuted on the senior level last year and won an Olympic gold medal this year. It can happen very fast. Karen Chen looks promising but she'll need to get through puberty.

As for Russia, I'd really like to see Adelina continue to skate for these next 4 years. At 17 years old she still has a lot of room to grow and mature as a skater/performer. Assuming Julia makes it through her next growth spurt and retains her jumps and consistency, she's a good bet moving forward as well. Anna Pogorilaya has the technical content and drive. She's 15 years old too so she may not be finish growing just yet. She has a ton of room to improve across the board and could be a really good prospect moving forward. Another young'un, Elena Radionova, has the technical goods, consistency and "it" factor to be great. She's only 14 so she has to weather puberty for the next couple of years but if she comes out on the other side intact she should be a contender.

This year's junior crop of Russian ladies doesn't have a stand out star. Adelina, Julia and Elena all ruled their junior seasons and were undefeated. Alexandra Proklova, Maria Sotskova, Evgenia Medvedeva and Serafima Sakhanovich have been trading placements all season long. No one stood out consistently so it will take a while for a star to emerge from this group.

Zijun Li looked really promising last season but she's trying to adjust to her growth spurt. I think she's lovely but she doesn't stand out as much as she needs to against the Russians or Americans. Her skating is light and subtle...but it's almost too light and subtle. She doesn't leave as big of an impact as she needs to. Hopefully she'll continue to improve upon that. As of now, it seems as though she's the only one from China. Ziquan Zhao is a lovely skater but her highest JGP finish was 4th a year ago; she was 11th and 12th in her events this year.

Japan is in a rebuilding phase. Satoko Miyahara is talented but I'm not confident she'll hold up under puberty. Her jumps are already small and prone to URs...I don't know if she'll retain her jumps post-puberty and if she does, she'll have a hard time competing with the other girls whose skating leaves a big impression on the ice. Rika Hongo has great jumps and skating skills but she is wholly uninteresting as a skater. If she can develop a style and personality on the ice she could be great. Riona Kato is another with potential and as well as Miyabi Oba, who is a Shizuka Arakawa/Miki Ando hybrid. Unlike in Russia, where there's a cluster of skaters who have already made their mark, Japan has skaters but very few of them have made any waves yet.

With Yu-Na gone, Hae-Jin Kim and So-Youn Park are the only ones who can carry Korea for now. Both girls are lovely performers and have a lot of potential, but they are going to have to work hard to keep Korea relevant for these next 4 years. There are a few others on the JGP (Da-Bin Choi and Na-Hyun Kim) but none of them have made a mark. Maybe we'll see what happened in Russia happen in Korea: a massive figure skating boom that results in many champion level skaters. Hopefully someone amazing will emerge in the next few years. With the next Olympics in Pyeongchang, it would be sad if Korea didn't have a top competitor in the ladies field.

Lots of prospects now and more we don't even know about yet. I'm excited to see what will happen this quad!

^great post and great insight. Thx

I've posted this probably way too many times but I should have waited until now because if you look at where Yulia was in 2010(the start of last quad) and where she is now it is kinda scary that some 11 yr old kid might be out there with similar ambitions.

Again...the spiral at 0:48 mark 12 seconds!!!
    http://youtu.be/7pOyZc7Wur8

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post

entire post
    Thanks so much for your insights and your information about the up-and-coming skaters. I don't really know much about any of them except for the Russians we've been discussing (and now watching) for the past few seasons and a few of the Americans. I'm sentimental about Japan and always want them to have a few stars in the mix, so I'm hopeful that some of the ones you mention will realize their potential.

Like you, I adore Mao Asada. I'd like to see more of her but not if she's reached a point of exhaustion. She may want to continue now that she sees what she's capable of (after that extraordinary Olympic LP), because after all she's spent several years reworking her jump technique and may want to make use of it. But if she retires, or turns pro, I'll understand and will wish her well. We won't see the likes of her anytime soon.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    ^great post and great insight. Thx

I've posted this probably way too many times but I should have waited until now because if you look at where Yulia was in 2010(the start of last quad) and where she is now it is kinda scary that some 11 yr old kid might be out there with similar ambitions.

Again...the spiral at 0:48 mark 12 seconds!!!
    http://youtu.be/7pOyZc7Wur8
    Thanks! And wow, I'd never seen that video of Julia. I liked her hyper-extended change-of-edge spiral...that's impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Thanks so much for your insights and your information about the up-and-coming skaters. I don't really know much about any of them except for the Russians we've been discussing (and now watching) for the past few seasons and a few of the Americans. I'm sentimental about Japan and always want them to have a few stars in the mix, so I'm hopeful that some of the ones you mention will realize their potential.
    I've been following the junior ladies for several years now and I've been covering the JGP/JGPF and Junior worlds on my blog since the 2011-2012 season. It's a lot of fun! I like it b/c you get to see the skaters from the beginning and watch them grow through the years. Sometimes it's disappointing b/c you see all of the potential during their junior days and then they can't quite realize it once they get to the senior level...but it's also really amazing when you watch skaters progress from junior to newbie senior to veteran and see how much they've grown and matured since their junior days. Plus there's always someone to be excited about.

Another plus when a skater pops onto the scene and steals the show you're already ahead of the game. A lot of people had never even heard of Polina Edmunds before nationals this year but I'd watched her on the JGP. So while everyone else is all, "Who is that? Where did she come from?" you can be all, "Oh, her? She's been kicking butt on the junior level all season..." or something like that.

I'm curious, and I have a question for those who are knowledgeable about juniors - what juniors are likely to move up into the senior ranks next year?

Elena Radionova I'd assume - and... ?

My question regards all disciplines, though, not only ladies. Any answers/info would be greatly appreciated - so thanks in advance!

Tripping on the Podium
    Every time I see a thread from you I automatically know It will be about Gracie.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post

Personally, I'm hoping she'll retire. I love Mao (adores her) but the new generation of ladies is here and I'm ready for them to take over.
    same, I want all veterans to retire after 2014 Worlds
    and make room for the new blood

@kwanatic

Thanks! And wow, I'd never seen that video of Julia. I liked her hyper-extended change-of-edge spiral...that's impressive!
    This is weird!! At the exact time I put up that video of Yulia's kung-fu panda her VK page posted this!!

http://m.vk.com/away?to=https%3A%2F%...4516_954415070
    Are we being watched??

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Gracie is one of the bright stars in the coming 2014-2018 quad
    and there are other talented skaters too but for now, Gracie is the safest bet to become a multiple World Champion.
    2016 Worlds, she has a high chance of winning in Boston
    Gold is lovely on ice. I am not a fan of her off-ice moment but I have to admit she looks lovely on ice, full of energy. I hope she will shine in worlds.

Custom Title
    I think Radionova's going to be one to watch actually. She's got the energy and projection, she just needs to refine her movements. I recall Julia being the same having frenetic juniorish movements (and showing her flexibility too many times in a skate without much finesse or musicality), and then she became more mature. I'm sure Radionova can do the same, and with her speed and difficulty, she's sure to be a contender. After all, Radionova did make the GPF and has the technical goods to win... add more refined artistry to that and we could have another Lipnitskaia. I'm picturing Elena to win the 2017 Worlds and likely a medal in South Korea, if she maintains her pace.

Custom Title
    Omg at Julia skating to Kung Fu Panda....and those head bobs

Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    I'm curious, and I have a question for those who are knowledgeable about juniors - what juniors are likely to move up into the senior ranks next year?

Elena Radionova I'd assume - and... ?

My question regards all disciplines, though, not only ladies. Any answers/info would be greatly appreciated - so thanks in advance!
    Well Radionova has already competed in seniors in the GP/GPF. But she will be fully senior in 2014-2015.

Ladies:
    Amber Glenn, USA : She will not be old enough for the GP until the 2015-2016 season. She will move up in the domestic level.
    Karen Chen USA: She also is not old enough, She will be in 2015-2016. She will likely move up at the domestic level.
    Maria Sotskova, RUS: Too young; won't qualify for GP until 2015-2016
    Evgenia Medvedeva, RUS: Won't qualify for GP until 2015-2016
    Alexandria Proklova, RUS: Won't qualify for GP until 2015-2016
    Serfima Sakhanovich, RUS: Won't qualify for GP until 2015-2016

Basically, get ready for an ONSALUGHT OF NEW SENIOR SKATERS IN 2015-2016!!!!

Angela Wang, USA, Hannah Miller, USA, Barbie Long USA and Mariah Bell USA, are all senior domestically but may all opt to do JGP for ranking points. None of them have the SB to get a guaranteed GP at this point, though I could see them getting a host pick for Skate America.

Men:
    Jordan Moeller, USA: He plans to move up to senior at least domestically. Not sure if he will do so at the international level.
    Nathan Chen, USA: He will be old enough for GP. I believe he will move up domestically and internationally.
    Keiji Tanaka, JPN: He has aged out of juniors. He competed at 4CC this year.
    Jin Boyang, CHN: He will probably move up, I think. He is already old enough for seniors.
    Adian Pitkeev, RUS: He is old enough; I'd expect he would try to move up to senior
    Alexander Petrov, RUS: He will be old enough to move up.
    Ryuju Hino, JPN: He ages out of juniors this year so he will have to move up.

Dance:
    Hawayek/Baker, USA: They will move up since Baker has aged out of juniors.
    Parsons/Parsons, USA: They will age out so will have to move up to senior
    Quinn/Carpenter, USA: They still have junior eligibility and won't be surprised if they stay junior another year due to the crowded field at the senior level.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 03-11-2014 at 06:27 PM.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Sam-Skwantch, thanks for the Yulia vid!!
    And Kwanatic, thanks for a very good common sense breakdown of people on the radar to be watching for. The next 4 will indeed be interesting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast