2014 Worlds Junior Ice Dance - Short Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds Junior Ice Dance - Short Dance

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ice Dance press conference after SD

http://cs618621.vk.me/v618621213/31e/aUxZ8onHQJU.jpg, :eek: even after bending her knee
http://cs618621.vk.me/v618621213/30c/uXyHGnoDQb0.jpg
http://cs618621.vk.me/v618621213/2df/rsjekQ69kB8.jpg

seems in russian forum, H/B issues has been mocked as well.

Well it's their loss if that's the case. They ought to appreciate the ACTUAL DANCING and skill instead of mocking something completely shallow.

Also, who is in first place again? Yep. So be quiet.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Well it's their loss if that's the case. They ought to appreciate the ACTUAL DANCING and skill instead of mocking something completely shallow.

Also, who is in first place again? Yep. So be quiet.

but in reality, transitioning well to seniors Yanovskaya / Mozgov and Mcnamara / Carpenter have a better shot
Ice dancing isn't just about dance its about elements and the most difficult and creative lifts you can get under this CoP

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
but in reality, transitioning well to seniors Yanovskaya / Mozgov and Mcnamara / Carpenter have a better shot
Ice dancing isn't just about dance its about elements and the most difficult and creative lifts you can get under this CoP

Again, please point out specifically how their height issues (as you call it) affect their actual SKATING AND ELEMENTS.

Generalities don't cut it for me.

jolen

Rinkside
I think far too much is made out of not having enough height difference. If they can skate well, execute elements and find level 4 lifts that work for them, well then why the big hulabaloo. Tessa and Scott do not have that much of a height difference. He has some pretty serious lifts in his skates that help disguise the issue, and gee, similar heights really hindered them - two Olympic medals notwithstanding.

tjskate

Rinkside
This is not pairs.
This is dance.

In pairs, height difference is better, so the man can lift and throw the woman. Similar height makes it more difficult, but it still can be done (Tai and Randy.)
In dance, height similarity is better, so the skaters are in unison in steps, handholds, and leg lifts. Height difference makes it more challenging; it can be done, but skaters most closely matched have an advantage.

Yes, there are lifts which the man must be able to do. But it's more about their dancing; the major "elements" are their edges, footwork, and unison.

It seems like this poster "designates" skaters either for glory or doom, depending on some whim about body type and what might possibly happen. Why don't we just enjoy their accomplishment now and stop heaping huge expectations on them on one hand, or writing them off on the other?

Sigh.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

McNamara has a pretty bad posture issue which will hold them back big time when they get to seniors.

It seems in the past 7-8 years no matter how well they do in juniors, Russian ice dancers seem to hit the wall once they transition to seniors. It's taken Ilinyk/Katsalapov four long years to finally make some headway; Bobrova/Soloviev are still struggling six years after they made the leap from juniors to seniors, and one of their continuing problems has been her posture.

OTOH, close-in-size Virtue / Moir quickly went from JW Champs to #6 at Worlds the next year, then to #2.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
OTOH, close-in-size Virtue / Moir quickly went from JW Champs to #6 at Worlds the next year, then to #2.

V/M were not that close in size, it was in late 2010, she finally changed
then they began to struggle losing to D/W

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the videos Maofan. Now I will be ready for the FD. Great job by the US team!

mskater93

Record Breaker
Well, if you look carefully at Jean Luc's skates, I believe they have what we used to call elevator boots? He's such a great skater that his edges are still awesome. :love: :eek: even with that disadvantage. I love their Amelie FD; can't wait to see it again!!
Ben Agosto used to wear "built up boots" as well to improve the height differential with Tanith. They were never held back (once Tanith learned what weight and strength she needed to be at - and it wasn't 5 pounds lighter!)

jolen

Rinkside
V/M were not that close in size, it was in late 2010, she finally changed
then they began to struggle losing to D/W

Check out the lifts Scott had on his skates.

As I said their similar heights didn't stop them from winning two Olympic medals!