Rating Sochi re Figure skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Rating Sochi re Figure skating

wootie

Match Penalty
The only performances I will still be re watching in 2 years are Carolina Kostners SP & LP plus Mao Asada LP

Eh, Carolina was good, but I think a lot of her "cred" at these Olympics is due to the fact that she didn't fall all over the place like she usually does. That said, I do think her SP was very pretty. Her Bolero LP seems to generate a lot of funny hoopla, but I don't really get why it's sooooooo amazing. The footwork sequence at the end is by far the best part of that program. The rest of it is pretty meh with very few transitions and nothing particularly spectacular going on.

Mao's LP was amazing. It was a testament to her fighting spirit and the intrinsically beautiful nature of her skating.

bibi24

Final Flight
- Kostner, Akiko made me a fan.
- Bye bye Jeremy Abbott. (now American posters can hype about some other skaters)
- Team event spirit.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
I have a greater respect for Yuna now. Never was a fan mostly due to her personality, but she has matured and handled herself perfectly. I became an instant fan after the FS. I've always loved Carolina and now love her even more not only for her wonderful performances but how she seems like a genuinely beautiful person. Seeing how she interacted with the Russian girls was heartwarming, like they're her little sisters. If it wasn't for the scoring and results, the ladies competition was such a great event. Just wished that the Japanese girls could have done better.

The men's competition was a total let down. I was really looking forward to some epic performances. I was so torn between Patrick and Yuzu, but was happy with the podium nonetheless.

V/T are the only pair that I follow. They got the job done but their performances were disappointing, despite the crazy scores again.

Dance was as expected but I wish they could have awarded a double gold medal. V/M were beautiful and D/W so exciting. I like I/K but feel P/B would have been more worthy bronze medallists.

Performances that I've rewatched numerous times and will continue to are Carolina's SP and LP, Yuna's SP and LP, D/W SD and FD, V/M SD and FD, I/K FD, and P/B FD.

Overall feeling about whole event was disappointment for reasons that already have been beaten to death.

Mafke

Medalist
What I find interesting is how much the team event seemed to sap the energy of the singles skaters.

The only singles skater to do better in singles than the team event seemed to be Hanyu (maybe) who only skated the SP and then won the most stumblefooted event in oly history (surpassing Albertbille ladies?)

I would have like a different team event with only singles skaters (pairs and dance are already teams dammit) with a different format from singles.

moviechick

On the Ice
Carolina also did the team event and she did just as well or better in the singles.

Chan did poorly in the team and singles though, whatever happened with him didn't exactly start after the team.

Yuzuru had great SPs on both. The LP was always going to be uphill with that quad sal gamble.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I really hate picking on skaters but outside of the polina's jumps and spins she really just looked like a public skater to me but honestly ... to each their own. I can get you free public skate passes if your interested.

Seriously...how much more do you expect her to grow...lol. Did you see her 4 yrs ago? http://m.vk.com/article2030424516_954415070?api_view=e1024fedbddf782effb72892ade098

Do you even consider that when you post such nonsense that a nice 13yr old girl may read this and your comments may affect them and what they are going thru?

You complain about my post yet you have no problems calling Polina a public skater and condescendingly offering to get me passes? :sarcasm:

Whether you, Yulia or anyone else likes it or not, at the moment Yulia is still a child with a child's body. It is a basic physiological fact that she will not remain that way forever. It is also a basic fact that figure skating jumps (for both men and women) can be adversely affected by growth, whether height or other physical changes. Small jumps that rely on fast rotation suffer the most. This is not my opinion; it is a fact hardened by the long years of many skaters who have had trouble with their jumps.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
What did I feel it delivered on?
The excitement. The unpredictability of performances on the night. Heartbreaks and triumphs.

What will I watch from it two years from now?
-Asada's FS.
-Hanyu smashing his own world record SP score, and becoming the first man over 100 points.
-The entire last group of the Ice Dance FD.
-Kostner's SP
-Sotnikova's SP and FS
-Lipnitskaya's Team SP and FS.
-Paul Bonifacio Parkinson!
-Plushenko.

What were the disappointments for me?
Wasn't really disappointed as such, but if I had to pick something... the Men's FS. About ten guys could have taken Bronze if only they'd skated clean. But in the end, only Dennis Ten delivered.

How do I sum up these games from an historical viewpoint?
Judging was overall a lot fairer than I expected (I had very low expectations). The medals went to the right people. Ladies FS scoring went crazy, but this was not unexpected - and it was nowhere near as crazy as 2010.

Just my opinions.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You complain about my post yet you have no problems calling Polina a public skater and condescendingly offering to get me passes? :sarcasm:

Whether you, Yulia or anyone else likes it or not, at the moment Yulia is still a child with a child's body. It is a basic physiological fact that she will not remain that way forever. It is also a basic fact that figure skating jumps (for both men and women) can be adversely affected by growth, whether height or other physical changes. Small jumps that rely on fast rotation suffer the most. This is not my opinion; it is a fact hardened by the long years of many skaters who have had trouble with their jumps.

You started this whole thing. I posted how I felt about Sochi and what I would remember in line with what other members were posting. It's kind of apparent who my favorite skater is yet you quoted me and very condescendingly told me how awful she is and pointed out how puberty is going to ruin her. Next time Ill just thank you for your unprovoked insults and your very enlightening and positive outlook. To be honest I like Polina just fine and the insults were more directed at you and I should know better but Ill own up to my own childishness and say sorry.

My whole point about your insensitivity toward puberty is just that no ... It's NOT A BAD THING. Most skaters benefit from it although there is awkwardness at times, it's very manageable. You really should consider that someone on this forum maybe even a skater facing or going thru it does not need to hear how it ruins people. NOT TRUE but at such an emotional time your words could stick with them and maybe do harm. Can we get back to topic now?

I loved the Sochi bear and really felt the emotions when he hesitated to blow out the flame. Honestly I'd rate the ceremonies as the best ever and find myself still watching them.

Seeing a guy like Mathew Parr in the team event is exactly what the games are about. He skated the best he could and delivered a great performance. It was a great way to kick off the entire Olympic Games and set a great tone overall. I really enjoyed the team event but hope they move it to last.

b-man

Final Flight
The fraud in the judging overwhelms everything else. It leaves a bad taste that will remain for years to come. At least as far as figure skating, it will be remembered as the fraudulent Olympics.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I can't help but be let down by how the whole thing transpired. I don't think it was a level playing field, and not just in ladies. I think the judges more or less knew who they wanted to help out (and who they didn't) well before the event began.

In fact, I was thinking of potentially checking out 2016 Worlds in Boston (I've never been to a competition before). Now I'm having 2nd thoughts...why should I pay $ to see an event that's already been decided?

Big Deal

Final Flight
This Olympic its way of predetermined judging and misusing the whole system by the unifiedly corrupt judges really made my ever-existing deep interest declining.
I'm still depressed and highly uninterested.
The Russain maffia has arrived back again at its "best".

The crowd was incredibly unsportif and disgusting, didn't behaved like a "host" could, I've NEVER seen (and heard) anything like that.
Such a sad contrast compaired to the Europeans in Budapest f.e......

bara1968

On the Ice
1. I was very sad to see Chan... Why, why couldn't he repeat Chan TEB? That was surely one of the best ever man's fs... I wish I could see him winning another gold in WC. He is too good to be retired.

2. I do not even want to talk about lady's. The moment I saw Sot's PCS at SP, I knew that something was wrong. The judging was insane here. I would not see any of the competition if I see the name of that Russian tech caller on judging panel list.

3. Yuna, how could she perform like THAT in both SP&LP? What a fierce competitor! I truly respect her.. Also Mao's LP. I almost cried watching her LP.

4. I was very happy to see Carolina winning a medal. :) Even though she deserved a silver, not a bronze.

TMC

Record Breaker
1) Events: Team event. Loved it. Hope they put it after the singles in future

2) Skaters/performances:
Matthew Parr - Well done indeed!
Peter Liebers - Wonderful performance, out of the blue.
Carolina Kostner - So so happy that she finally did it!
Jason Brown - Sparkling personality & a wonderful SP with an awesome score for a quadless program
Mao Asada - Was that a world record of triples in one program?
Meryl & Charlie - Never enjoyed Ice Dancing so much before; this was the 1st time an ice dancing program gave me chills after Rahkamo & Kokko! Going to watch again & again.

3) Atmosphere: Weird audience (chanting "Russia" at the gala? What?)

What I find interesting is how much the team event seemed to sap the energy of the singles skaters.

I think it may have had more to do with back-to-back events; not enough rest between skates?

Ven

Match Penalty
These Olympics were a joke and turned many people off figure skating, both marginal fans and even long-time fans.

1. The judging was corrupt, not just in ladies, but through all events. Plushenko and Julia's scores were in the Team event were beyond ridiculous. V/T were so inflated they could have made multiple mistakes and still won. Same with D/W...obviously the French newspaper report was correct. The ladies event was just the final blow, where the results were obviously fraudulent and incorrect.

2. The team event was the dumbest thing I've seen in sports in a long time.

3. The corruption. Need anyone say more?

I'm one person who enjoyed figure skating when I was younger, didn't follow it anymore for years and years, and started to enjoy it again in the last quad or two. My interests in mainstream sports have mostly soured in recent years because of the money and corruption involved. Now you can throw figure skating into that mix of has-been sports as well.

It should be obvious to anyone with a brain that the IOC and ISU have no interest in cleaning up the sport, only hiding the corruption so it can't be found. All of them, all of the judges, tech callers, coaches, federation members, ISU members, all of them are corrupt. Every single one. That's why there's no desire to clean up the "sport" because they are all corrupt. It would mean cleaning them all out. So they just created anonymous judging and made up fantasy points so they could better hide pre-determined fraudulent results.

Count me as someone who will pay money for independent skating shows, but will never watch another IOC or ISU broadcast and never give them another dime.

BlackPack

Medalist
Caro's Bolero
Many, many ice dance performances - just incredible. The best ice dancing has ever seen.
Yuz's Parisian Walkway

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
Yeah, this is bad, but I'll remember that snowflake not opening up to become an Olympic ring.
I'll remember the fun my family had watching someone we know compete on the women's hockey team, and the sadness we felt watching her cry when they took silver.
I'll remember the historic moment when Davis and White took gold.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
I'll remember Davis and White's embrace after their FD and the huge ecstatic smiles on their faces.
I'll remember Caro's coach embracing her and saying "Do you believe in yourself now? Now?" (I teared up not gonna lie)
I'll remember Mao's amazing comeback in her LP and the tears of happiness after.
I'll remember Yuna's class and elegance throughout this entire competition.
I'll remember Yulia's amazing performance in the team event.
I'll remember Pechalat and Bourzat's amazing show all the way through even though I believe they may have been marked short.
I'll remember Caro finally getting her dream and honestly making me forget everything that happened in Turin and Vancouver.
I'll remember Virtue and Moir's gala program, with the water stains on Scott's back looking like wings and their goose in the finale.
I'll remember Yuzuru and Yulia dancing at the gala event.

I'm choosing to look back on this Olympics with fondness even if I disagree with a lot of what occurred. Even though a lot of sucky things happened, a lot of good things happened as well. I've never been so invested in ice dancing, for example!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The ice dance competition was of the highest quality ever... for once, people could truly appreciate ice dancing as a sport, with legitimate breathtaking difficulty and footwork. Lots of my friends were astounded by even the twizzle sequences - holding their foot and turning in unison like that perfectly. And obviously some of the lifts were dramatic and very risky looking.

Pairs was okay. Really V/T and S/K were the class of the field but things like both of V/T throw errors not even being deducted for, and S/K's monstrous PCS marred it for me.

Women's result was a farce, but was otherwise skated quite very well. Other than Sotnikova's very minor bobble on the 3-jump, I think that's the first time the top 3 have had a clean competition in a long time, which is remarkable given the demands of CoP.

Men's competition was a hot mess, but at least there was considerable difficulty being attempted. Not happy though that many of the guys were so nervous that nobody "let go" and had a brilliant skate. I think this does set up a precedent for the next Olympics and we can expect an amazing turnout from the men. At least it's a step up from Vancouver where the gold medalist and bronze medalist didn't do any quad (well, Takahashi had a UR fall in the FS).