Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: "One, Two, Whose Coach Are You?"

On the Ice
    Both Brian Orser and Elvis Stojko stayed with Doug Leigh for their entire amateur career, I think?

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    When Ushi Kestler (sp?) moved to the US, Elvis went with her (leaving behind Doug Leigh).

Custom Title
    Soogar: "MK didn't choke in 1998, she choked in 2002. She skated great in 1998 so I don't think she had anything to be ashamed of."

'Choking' in my estimation is when a skater makes a mistake mid-program and completely unravels, so that the rest of the program is a disaster. Sandhu's SP at 2004 Worlds is a classic example of a "choke". Sandhu came out of the QR in first place in his group, in excellent medal position. In the SP, he bailed out of his first jump, and from that point on all of his jumps followed suit. He managed only to get through the footwork and spins, and finished 13th, ending his medal chances.

Kwan had one fall in her FS at 2002 Olympics, but she got right up and went on skating with great fire and determination. If anything, she skated better AFTER the fall than before it. That is NOT choking. And she had nothing to be ashamed of in 2002, either. She DID win a bronze medal.

Custom Title
    chuckm: The point was that she needed to skate great throughout the program.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by soogar
    chuckm: The point was that she needed to skate great throughout the program.
    If 'not skating great throughout' is choking, then Sasha CHOKED at Olympics '02, Worlds '02, Worlds '03 and Worlds '04 and every US Nationals FS since 2002.

Irina Slutskaya CHOKED at Olympics '02 when she flubbed her 3F, and she CHOKED at Europeans '03 when she fell on her FS.

Sorry, but making one mistake is not MY definition of choking.

I don't have much knowledge of coaches and things, reading this thread really helped me lots. Thanks guys.

All the talk about Frank Carroll and Michelle got me thinking, though. I am now torn between liking him and thinking he's a poop-head. Kidding, lol.

But really, Frank was estactic when Tim won his Olympic bronze medal, wasn't he? I know Tim hasn't always been with Frank, but I think I'd be heartbroken if Tim switched coaches. :\

Custom Title

Staying with coach

Although Oksana Biuel was mentioned as staying with only one coach (Galina), she did, actually, skate as a youngster with a different coach, and she skated with several other coaches as a professional.

Linny

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3