Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "One, Two, Whose Coach Are You?"

Tonya Harding, Nicole Bobek and Chris Bowman changed coaches very often too - usually due to conflict with coach. I think the 2 ladies changed coaches almost every season.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by soogar
    I don't care for Frank Carroll. I don't think that he was able to view MK objectively and perhaps in his own desire to have a student win the OGM, he might have put too much pressure on her. He was crushed when Linda Fratianne did not win gold and perhaps that affected Linda's acceptance of her silver medal. Don't give Frank too much credit for her having a 3-3. She was 15 when she got her 3-3 and then did not do it on a regular basis. He was her coach in 1998 when she did not do the 3-3 at the Olympics and Tara railroaded her there. It wasn't as if they didn't see her coming. Tara was landing them all the time and MK was practicing the 3-3 at the time as well.
    Soogar,

How could Michelle have practiced the 3/3 toe when that was the jump that broke her toe and left her in a cast the 98 Olympic year? She started working on others but she had such a short training time between skating again and the Olympics. She may not have needed the 3/3 if she skated the Olympics like Nationals.

Custom Title
    Nadine- You are welcome. I wonder if everyone's caught on that I really liked Janet's skating?

Janet's home rink was The Wagon Wheel in Rockford, Ill. I know she was very young when started taking lessons from Kahout. Just from memory, I believe she was 6 or 7.

The Wagon Wheel must have been a big deal back then. Scott H was there for a time too.
    Last edited by SusanBeth; 04-01-2004 at 02:52 AM.

Custom Title
    mpal2:
    When MK was healing from her stress fracture, which was caused by bad skating boots according to her father, she couldn't do the 3toe-3toe b/c of the pressure on her toe so she was practicing a 3loop-3loop (a la Tara) and landing them in practice (according to brennan's book, Tara saw Mk doing that and said "that's my jump! and Richard had to reassure her that there were no patents on jumps).

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    I mean, good grief, he had her skating to Linda's old music (Scheherezade)
    When did Linda skate to Schez?

IIRC, Tiffany Chin was with Carrol and then Nicks. (or was it vice versa?)

Scott Davis was with Kathy Casey and then Galina Z (Patrenko & Oksana's coach)

Angela was with Opelgard, then Calighan, then Elena, then Carroll, then someone else (I forget who).

Ina switched from US guy to Russian lady (senior moment, can't remember names of very famous coaches)

Scotty was with someone else before Don Laws.

Gus Luzi coached half the US skaters (Button, Sherman, Robertson, Hamil, Mary Scotvold, etc...)

Custom Title
    soogar,

I know the story. That's why I said Michelle was working on other 3/3 combinations. She still had a very short training time between the cast and Olympics and I don't think she felt comfortable enough to do them in competition.

I also read some quotes from Lori Nichol that they (meaning her and Carroll) were more worried about Michelle getting through the LP more than training a 3/3 because of having to be off the ice for so long.

I think Michelle's Nationals experience was out of this world, but I think it had more to do with her being so happy to be back in competition and it showed. By Olympics, everything was back to normal competition pressure and then some. I just don't think she had enough confidence in her programs to deal with the pressure.

That's one of the reasons why I don't think Michelle choked during 98. I think she had an amazing comeback from a very tough year.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Coaching Chris Bowman was such a stressful job that Toller referred to it on the air as a 'car wreck every day'. Apparently, the first day Chris arrived at Toller's, they were in a real car wreck, and it did not get better. In fact Toller felt Bowman was a real part of Toller's developing a number of mental and personal problems. If interested, you can read all about it in Toller's books.

Nancy Kerrigan never changed coaches. She always had the Scotvolds.

And Jenny has changed to Callaghan recently.

Vika has been the European poster child for coach changing recently.

Custom Title
    MK didn't choke in 1998, she choked in 2002. She skated great in 1998 so I don't think she had anything to be ashamed of.

I too read Toller's books and I really had to laugh about the incident with Chris, the hooker and Toller's old campy costumes. However Toller exaggerrates a lot and you can only take what he says with a grain of salt. Toller is a drama queen so we can't be too sure what happened between those two.

Custom Title
    Evgeny Plushenko has had only one coach- Alexei Mishin.

So has Alexei Urmanov.

Gordeeva-Grinkov actually changed coaches a few times (may not have been their decisions).

Mishkutenok-Dmitriev were always coached by Tamara Moskvina, after they came together as a team. In fact Artur Dmitriev was coached by Tamara (that is, after he came into her camp he never left). Same with Bechke & Petrov.

OTOH Kulik changed from Kudriatsev (sp?) to Tarasova and the change worked for him.

Maria Petrova was always coached by the Velikovs, with both her partners. She had positive and negative results.

Angela N. changed coaches a few times. The only change that really worked for her was Elena Tcherkaskaya, although her earlier work with Oppegard may have built the foundation with solid jumps.

Bourne & Kraatz moved to Tarasova and won the world championship.

So I don't think there is a direct correlation between a skater's success and how many coaching changes he/she makes. Sometimes the changes work. In Nicole Bobek's case they never worked. For Chris Bowman they did not work. However, there might have been other issues in both cases.

I think when skaters and coaches stay together a long time, mutual trust tends to develop, and that's good for everybody. A long time coach is more likely to know how much they can and should push their skaters. A newer partnership can be more business-like IMO.

Note about Bourne & Kraatz. First, they won Worlds with Morozov, not TT. Second, I think they would have won had they stayed with Dubova.

Custom Title
    Yes, my mistake (re: B&K's world title). I forgot that they had left TT, but she did put them on the right track after their off year.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by berthes ghost

Ina switched from US guy to Russian lady (senior moment, can't remember names of very famous coaches)
    Tamara Moskvina

Ta lulu! And the US guy?

Custom Title
    Originally posted by berthes ghost
    Ta lulu! And the US guy?
    According to Pairs on Ice Peter Burrows:D

Thanks, I'll have to sew those names on the inside of my underware now! Now, if I could just memorize the names of the Bulgarian Ice Dancers and Zhulin's wife.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast