Analyzing Sotnikova and Kim's footwork in the FS | Page 50 | Golden Skate

Analyzing Sotnikova and Kim's footwork in the FS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meoima

Match Penalty
eh.. someone called me a troll.. and i believe that mao should have won the LP.. but she was still 7 points behind than the flawed adelina..
i like kostner's skating.. her presence and elegance on the ice.. she did have 1 extra triple than yuna but i cannot put her above yuna because she didn't have a 3-3 in the LP.. no wonder why she changed it in japan.. just to beat mao.. and look what happened..
yuna's LP in sochi is not her greatest.. but i will prefer it more than her les mis program.. i see a mature yuna in adios..it's a difficult music to skate.. at least she didn't chicken out with the program.. as it's not your typical tango..
My point is, if you want to prove that the scores were rigged. You should compare all the top ladies' score as well. Especially those that have strong free skate that night. Some of them show the qualities that Yuna didn't show that day.

Just compare the top 6, to see who was underscored for the qualities that they exceed Adelina and even Yuna.

If you want to compare the TES, why don't compare to Mao? If you want to compare the PCS, then it's Kostner who deserves the highest PCS out there.

There are people think that Mao's performance were strongest that days, they have reasons. Many people cried, even the godmother Tarasova cried. And they were crying when she was performing. Her technical content was loaded, her step sequence was insane. Her BV were higher than Adelina. Some people said the downgrades on her jumps were too harsh and unreasonable. Isn't it enough to review the judging of her free skate? Why don't people compare her free skate, which were highly appreciated from the beginning of the season, to Adelina?

No, they don't. Because she was not Yuna. Sadly people want fair score but not for her, not for Caro. And even if Mao scored 153, she still couldn't medal so they don't care.

Some people only think that Yuna's FS was the strongest, and try all the things to prove it. But the sad note is, some people don't find her FS this season that exciting and deep meaning because they have no time to rewatch it a hundred times.

But to some people, Yuna's FS that day was not the strongest, even though they agree that she was robbed. I belong to that group.

Nadya

On the Ice
oh.. yeah.. she had the decency to hug yuna backstage in vancouver.. oh wait..:p look how baranova was so emotional while watching alla..
The Japanese judged hugged Hanyu near the podium. Wanna pick on him?

cuon_alpinus

On the Ice
How many times I have to say this over and over again, that lots of people who are not her hatters have the feeling that Yuna's performance that day was not the strongest?

And Caro even got higher PCS than Mao in worlds, which was rightfully deserved her skating skills is undoubtedly the best, despite her inconsistence. And frankly, she was more charming on the ice than most ladies.

There is one most important point you all forgot:

From what I understand, figure skating is scored based on LIVE performance, not repeated video clips. And the judges give the scores based on the performance they have just watched right away, they only 3-5 minutes to review all the elements and execution.

If you fail to impress the judges right away at that exactly moment, then it's your disadvantage. Because the judges have no time to rewatch your program a hundred/thousand times like your fans. They only watch you perform live once and give out the score only once.

So obviously the first impression is the most important because that is the only time they judge you!

You chose a less bright and exciting music than other, a so so choreography (not your fault anyway) and perform it on the day you were little bit off (partly because of the hostile crowd)---> it's so obvious why some people think you were flat.

Remember, judges watch it once time, and 3-4 minutes to review, not a thousand times to absorb the so-called deep meaning/sorrowful/sentiment that you want to express and expect them to understand because they have no time to see it's there in your program.

Figure skating is the sport/art of only one time impression.

Overall I think Adelina was overscored and Kim/Kostner were robbed, but there would be no way I can rearrange my feeling and overall impression of the ladies event that day.

Kim was off, still exceptional graceful, outstanding consistent but less exciting.
Kostner was more charming than all the ladies.
Adelina was the most energetic and exciting to watch.

Yes, the judging was rigged it's obviously seems so, I agree. But it's not only Yuna who was placed unfairly. You can't write these skaters off just because you feel your idol was the best. There are people who think other skaters moved them more. Simply as that.

And I am not the only one who think Yuna was also off that day, compare to other skaters who also skated their hearts out.

I would rather trust these people rather than your favorite bloggers and forum. Moreover, I guess Italian commentator doesn't agree with you. I know you're big Mao fan, but I'm sorry she doesn't deserve more than 150 if this is your dream score for her. Her wrong jumping techniques are enough to decrease her scores. Her FS in sochi may have seemed perfect, since she didn't fall as she was used to. And Kostner definitely was overscored on her PCS. You should know that if you have been watching figure skating.

A high-ranking Olympic figure skating official, who spoke to USA TODAY sports on the condition of anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the topic, said the geographic makeup of the judging panel "was clearly slanted towards (Olympic gold medalist) Adelina Sotnikova," adding "this is what they can do." "How the hell were Yuna and Sotnikova so close in the components, I just don't get it?" exclaimed Canadian great Kurt Browning. four-time world champion "Yuna Kim outskated her, full stop,” Browning said. “I'm shocked. What, suddenly, she just became a better skater overnight? I don't know what happened. I'm still trying to figure it out."

Dick Button, skating legend - Sotnikova has no dance ability no performance level but great sense of not wilting. Sotnikova was energetic, strong, commendable, but not a complete skater. Sotnikova: Great effect, ugly catch-foot, wild enthusiasm, truly competitive, fun to watch and certainly needs refinement. At one point, I had doubts regarding Yu-Na Kim - not after today. She was superb, elegant, charming. Never a wilt. Dear Yu-Na, you are a true champion. When I criticize, I believe in recognizing changes. You were a different skater today. Congratulations! Yuna charming here subjective elements in the component scores ( the artistry) were outstanding ...... David Wilson was extraordinary choice to choreograph. He understood her weaknesses as well as her strengths. This was a change for her.

Katarina Witt, the former East German glamour queen of the ice, "I am stunned by this result, I don't understand the scoring," German TV from her commentators' booth at the Iceberg Skating Palace.

British Robin Cousins olympic gold medalist - BBC commentator I put my commentator hat down, and I was an Olympic skater and a performer watching, and Yuna Kim was as good as over and I went, ladies and gentlemen there you have it the gold medal. I bit my tongue a little bit, I thought you should never say that before it's actually there in black and white, and then seeing the replay and seeing the reaction I thought, oh okay, oh maybe I'm, maybe it was something I was feeling, but after the result was up, and I have to be honest I looked across at a couple of other, Kurt Browning, umm Katarina Witt I know was apparently in the studio, and I looked at the German commentator and he went, how did they do that how did that happen. And he said Katarina's over in the screaming in the studio that she thinks it's wrong. And Kurt said I just you know I thought, and they also did what I did, they called it before Yuna had finished, so, umm I thought they were both brilliant and it's very similar to the ice dance with the Canadians and the Americans, which camp are you in, but Yuna has such a supreme quality over every single move. Sotnika was though vivacious and it was aggressive and it was a one-off moment that happened in front of a home crowd.

Alex Goldberger, Olympics researcher at US broadcaster NBC said “Adelina Sotnikova was excellent tonight, but Yuna Kim was robbed”.

Three-time U.S. national champion Michael Weiss - But, couldn't disagree more that Yuna &Sotnikova had basically same Component marks?..in Both short & long? Home field inflation "If Adelina was not from Russia, she would never get those marks," Dave Lease, of Skating Lesson, a blog focused on the intricacies and nuances of figure skating disciplines and competitions. "There's no way to justify Sotnikova's marks,"

Jamie Sale Canadian Gold Medal Winning Skater: -Ok I'm not a judge but I just watched the #womansfigureskating again + I STRONGLY disagree w results like MANY others. #ISU now what? -I would have had Yuna 1, Carolina 2 and Adelina 3 -nothing against ANY skaters, Adeline was gr8 but not at the level of Yuna or Carolina. CNN Interview - I guess we'll never really know until somebody does speak, and like they did in Salt Lake City, but it is very suspicious. We're all very frustrated this whole you know, every time there's a scandal there's Russians involved, but you've got two judges the on panel on this panel, one is a judge one suspended in 1998 for trying to fix the dance event. And the other is the wife of the Russian Federation President.

Brian Boitano - I don't think that Yuna Kim should have been as close to Sotnikova after the short program, and I think that is the gap that should not have been bridged so that Yuna Kim would have been a two-time Olympic Champion. http://edition.cnn.com/video/data/2...ano-sochi-figure-skating-controversy.cnn.html

Naomi Nari Nam, the 1999 silver medalist at the U.S. national championships, watched the competition and came away with feelings similar to Lease's. She says that she felt like Kim, not Sotnikova, was her pick to win gold. "I definitely think it was home court advantage [for Sotnikova]," she told The Wire. "It was very inflated."

American skater Ryan Bradley After the SP -You can not tell me that Ashley being in 5th makes any sense. There is a girl (LIPNITSKAYA Yulia) back there with ice burn on her face ahead of her After Carolina's FS -I feel like the panel just kind of took a crap on Carolina right there -Let's not forget the mandatory "Skating while not being Russian" deduction After Yuna's FS skate: -Any other country in the world and this isn't even close. -You have got to be Kidding me. I can't handle them justifying this -Are we just going to ignore that she (Adelina) botched the landing of her 3 jump and pretend she was perfect? -This post event wrap up is making my blood boil

American World Champion skater Todd Eldredge - After Yuna's SP #YunaKim = Skating perfection! #Sochi2014 #Olympics
After the FS -Apparently panel felt Sotnikova had better skating skills than Kostner & almost same as Kim
#Sochi2014” Emphatically disagree!
My favorite thing is Sotnikova gets a 9.50 for choreography but Kostner gets a 9.21” Shame on judges!
Foolishness!

American World Champion Skater Tai Babilonia After Adelina's FS score was announced -the fix is in :{ #sochi #joke After Yuna's FS score announced -this is why people laugh at it :{ #figureskating #mysport #corrupt

American skater Douglas Razzano After Yulia's FS -AHEAD OF MAO?!?!? Here we go... #No #Sochi2014 After Carolina's FS -FORZA, Carolina!!!! Ahhhh! Stunning! #Sochi2014 Before Adelina's FS -@RyanSBradley FOR SURE. Lakernik is calling! Can't forget that! After Yuna's FS -@SkatingLesson I'm angry. -@SkatingLesson @Adaripp If the Russian girls don't get called for flutzes, Mirai should never be called on an under-rotation call EVER.

Bill Plaschke (American Sports Journalist) -Sochi Olympics: Yuna Kim's flawless performance cuts no ice in a Russian arena -Russians needed a champion after last night's hockey debacle, they got one..at expense of Korea...How can leader skate perfect and lose?. -Kim didn't win...unbelievable...scandal written all over this...Russian Sotnikova wins, fans going crazy, Kim disappears, wrong, wrong, -Queen Yuna Kim was unbelievable.nearly perfect. better than Sotnikova...if she is not Olympic champion in about 5 minutes, a huge scandal

ESPN Official Website News Article titled "Home Cooking", "Home-Ice Advantage"

El Mundo - "Sotnikova da a Rusia el oro más polémico" Los medios extranjeros buscan una explicación 'racional' a la nota de Adelina http://www.elmundo.es/deportes/2014/02/20/5306824422601dc45e8b4582.html

Jesse Helms - That's why the ISU judges began to award a pile of GOE on the young skaters' poor quality jump in the Grand Prix as long as they managed to land them. You don't have to be an expert. Adelina Sotnikova or Julia Lipnitskaia for that matter didn't change much or only improve mildly from their junior performances. In the 2013 Worlds Adelina Sotnikova's perfect short program which is an almost exact replica of hers in Sochi earned barely 60. Now nearly 75? Are you kidding? If judged correctly, Sotnikova should have scored 65 or less in short and 135 in free, which gives her less than 200

LA Times reporter John Cherwa's interview of Chicago Tribune reporter Phillip Hersh - My biggest problem with this whole controversy today is that the federation that governs this sport, the International Skating Union provides nobody with any explanations for anything. For instance, why did they allow conflicts of interests like having the wife of a Russian Federation official on the panel. Why did they let an ex-cheater be on the panel. Why did the levels that Yuna Kim receive for a couple of her elements which were lower, why were those deductions made. I mean, they expect us to swallow these results whole, yet we're in the 21st century, and they're operating as if they were in the Middle Ages when they would disseminate information which would wander around the earth and get back to us in a month. The biggest problem I have with all of this is the intractability and intransigence and obfuscation provided by the International Federation, which is I say might have good reasons for why the scores were what they were, but by not telling us they're only fueling this feeling that it's all fixed

American reporter for USAToday Christine Brennan - Many in skating questioning gold medalist, other placements -- and ridiculously high marks for Russians throughout the Olympics

"That's not fair to see Carolina and Yuna, who have great skating skills and had great skating tonight -- good jumps, nice presence on the ice, maturity, expression -- could be six points behind somebody who has tremendous skill but is just coming out of juniors," said Gwendal Peizerat, the 2002 ice dancing gold medalist from France, "Compared to Carolina, compared to Yuna, something has happened."

Paul Wylie, the 1992 Olympic silver medalist -
I asked Wylie how he would explain Sotnikova’s sudden improvement to the casual fan. He paused, and couldn’t come up with an answer.
“It’s figure skating at its finest, right?” he said.
Everyone around him laughed.

Sky Italia's reaction http://vimeo.com/89457478

Meoima

Match Penalty
I would rather trust these people rather than your favorite bloggers and forum. Moreover, I guess Italian commentator doesn't agree with you. I know you're big Mao fan, but I'm sorry she doesn't deserve more than 150 if this is your dream score for her. Her wrong jumping techniques are enough to decrease her scores. Her FS in sochi may have seemed perfect, since she didn't fall as she was used to. And Kostner definitely was overscored on her PCS. You should know that if you have been watching figure skating.

I am not Mao fan. For the most part. :laugh: how many times I have to say it over and over again.

Frankly, I have never had enough patience to finish watching a long program of her before this seasons. And you say that I am a big Mao's fan, when I have fully watched only up to 3 or 4 of her programs (of her whole career) UNTIL NOW.

I didn't even care to watch Mao in Vancouver (that tedious costume, and make-up). :laugh: I only watched Yuna in Vancouver.

Frankly I have watched Kotsner more than I have ever watched Mao.

How many times I have to say my main concern is the men event, not ladies?:biggrin:

Still laughing and rolling on the floor.

Omg, now that I am a big fan of Mao just because I prefer her FS in Sochi over Yuna. :eek: I guess that is the price of praising Mao before a biased Yuna's fans.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
My point is, if you want to prove that the scores were rigged. You should compare all the top ladies' score as well. Especially those that have strong free skate that night. Some of them show the qualities that Yuna didn't show that day.

Just compare the top 6, to see who was underscored for the qualities that they exceed Adelina and even Yuna.

If you want to compare the TES, why don't compare to Mao? If you want to compare the PCS, then it's Kostner who deserves the highest PCS out there.

There are people think that Mao's performance were strongest that days, they have reasons. Many people cried, even the godmother Tarasova cried. And they were crying when she was performing. Her technical content was loaded, her step sequence was insane. Her BV were higher than Adelina. Some people said the downgrades on her jumps were too harsh and unreasonable. Isn't it enough to review the judging of her free skate? Why don't people compare her free skate, which were highly appreciated from the beginning of the season, to Adelina?

No, they don't. Because she was not Yuna. Sadly people want fair score but not for her, not for Caro. And even if Mao scored 153, she still couldn't medal so they don't care.

Some people only think that Yuna's FS was the strongest, and try all the things to prove it. But the sad note is, some people don't find her FS this season that exciting and deep meaning because they have no time to rewatch it a hundred times.

But to some people, Yuna's FS that day was not the strongest, even though they agree that she was robbed. I belong to that group.

I think alot of people are focusing on Yuna bc of several factors: 1) silver is the closest to gold whilst bronze is far away so controversies are usually about silver vs gold, 2) she was the favorite to win the games, 3) alot of people are just glad Kostner landed on the podium instead of imploding, and 4) Mao was out of medal contention so there's no perception that she was robbed of any medal.

Personally, I think that the focus on Kim vs Sotnikova takes away from the larger and more important issue at hand, which is the suspicious scoring not just in ladies FS, but across the other FS disciplines (except men's where none of the Russians were in contention). Within the ladies FS, I think Mao was underscored (though I don't think that program should've set a new WR), Lipniskaia was outrageously overscored, Kostner underscored, and Wagner underscored.

---
At the end of the day, people may think the podium standings are correct and disdain any talk of fishy scoring, but when you have such vehement outcry from not only people who participate in online forums, but skating professionals and journalists as well, I believe that the ISU should at least address the controversy, take steps to revise the judging system to make it more transparent and understandable, and set standards for who is allowed to judge and who isn't. To keep silent about this matter and pointedly ignore it not only diminishes the credibility of the sport, but it also unfairly leaves Sotnikova with baggage that she'll carry around for the rest of her career. Not to mention it must be a downer for the active skaters who participated in the event who might believe they were unfairly treated.

Whilst some claims are admittedly out there (ex: Putin paid off the competition), there have been many very objectively valid complaints raised (ex: why is a banned judge judging again? should anonymous judging stay?)

Vanshilar

On the Ice
Don't be sad. Plenty of people disagree with the decision but it is only on message boards and in Korea where there is any "controversy" at all. Not even Michelle Kwan could bring herself to explicitly state that Yuna should have won when she had the chance, and she skates in Yuna's shows! Like you and me, most people saw and enjoyed a fantastic night of skating and it's only a handful of (very loud) people complaining about the outcome.

Why, funny you should mention this. A quick script tabulating who made the visible posts in this thread up to post 960 (how far this thread had gotten when I took the data) shows:

Code:
Poster			#Posts	Percent
drivingmissdaisy	95	9.9%
capcomeback		61	6.4%
qwertyskates		48	5.0%
Blades of Passion	43	4.5%
sk8in			38	4.0%
Sam-Skwantch		36	3.8%
ILuvYuna		34	3.5%
gmyers			34	3.5%
gkelly			34	3.5%
Mathman			32	3.3%

These 10 posters contributed 455 of the 960 posts, or about half (47.5%) of the posts. There were a total of 94 unique posters. This is only of the visible posts; on some boards, when moderators remove a post they actually simply make it invisible to normal posters (but still visible to moderators and admins), I don't know if this is one of those boards. If so, the moderators can figure out for themselves who's been making the invisible (i.e. moderated) posts.

So the same poster who says it's "only a handful of (very loud) people" is also the same poster that has posted by far the most in this thread. This thread is about analyzing the footwork sequences (i.e. "how many choctaws were there" "was that a bracket or a counter") and out of the 95 visible posts, the number of posts actually looking at the footwork sequences is...approximately zero. Which is suspiciously but perhaps unsurprisingly similar to some of the top posters in this thread. I wonder why.

cooper

Medalist
The Japanese judged hugged Hanyu near the podium. Wanna pick on him?

because chan didn't deliver (if he did for sure some will argue for him).. yuna did.. and to certain extent kostner.. and even mao in the lp.. and yet they were behind the flawed sotnikova in SOCHI... figure it out..

Why, funny you should mention this. A quick script tabulating who made the visible posts in this thread up to post 960 (how far this thread had gotten when I took the data) shows:

Code:
Poster			#Posts	Percent
drivingmissdaisy	95	9.9%
capcomeback		61	6.4%
qwertyskates		48	5.0%
Blades of Passion	43	4.5%
sk8in			38	4.0%
Sam-Skwantch		36	3.8%
ILuvYuna		34	3.5%
gmyers			34	3.5%
gkelly			34	3.5%
Mathman			32	3.3%

These 10 posters contributed 455 of the 960 posts, or about half (47.5%) of the posts. There were a total of 94 unique posters. This is only of the visible posts; on some boards, when moderators remove a post they actually simply make it invisible to normal posters (but still visible to moderators and admins), I don't know if this is one of those boards. If so, the moderators can figure out for themselves who's been making the invisible (i.e. moderated) posts.

So the same poster who says it's "only a handful of (very loud) people" is also the same poster that has posted by far the most in this thread. This thread is about analyzing the footwork sequences (i.e. "how many choctaws were there" "was that a bracket or a counter") and out of the 95 visible posts, the number of posts actually looking at the footwork sequences is...approximately zero. Which is suspiciously but perhaps unsurprisingly similar to some of the top posters in this thread. I wonder why.

:laugh:

Nadya

On the Ice
because chan didn't deliver (if he did for sure some will argue for him).. yuna did.. and to certain extent kostner.. and even mao in the lp.. and yet they were behind the flawed sotnikova in SOCHI... figure it out..
Dunno what Chan has to do with anything but whatever.

Let's understand this explicitly: So you are saying that you only object to presence of skating officials (or their spouses, as it were) on judging panels when you disagree with the way they vote? And if they judge the way you like, there's no conflict of interest? That's 'bout it?

cooper

Medalist
Dunno what Chan has to do with anything but whatever.

Let's understand this explicitly: So you are saying that you only object to presence of skating officials (or their spouses, as it were) on judging panels when you disagree with the way they vote? And if they judge the way you like, there's no conflict of interest? That's 'bout it?

well you put yuzuru as an example to your post.. :eek:hwell: i just pointed it out that chan who was 2nd after the SP had the chance to deliver in the Lp but he didn't.. unlike in the ladies event..

Meoima

Match Penalty
Personally, I think that the focus on Kim vs Sotnikova takes away from the larger and more important issue at hand, which is the suspicious scoring not just in ladies FS, but across the other FS disciplines (except men's where none of the Russians were in contention). Within the ladies FS, I think Mao was underscored (though I don't think that program should've set a new WR), Lipniskaia was outrageously overscored, Kostner underscored, and Wagner underscored.
Yes, the whole Yuna/Adelina focus makes it like it's only Yuna who was robbed. But it's not only her. The scores went wrong for all the top ladies but they were cast aside. Yuna was all hailed the queen by the fans, Adelina get all the hate, other skaters are forgotten. The judging problem remains. ;)

And some of Yuna's biased fans say her free skate was the strongest that night, which might be debatable. For once, some people don't think so. So what if they are minority, as long as their opinions are reasonable, you can't write them off.

Some say the commentators only gave the outcry for Yuna, it's easy to understand it the way you explain, I totally agree with this:

1) silver is the closest to gold whilst bronze is far away so controversies are usually about silver vs gold, 2) she was the favorite to win the games, 3) alot of people are just glad Kostner landed on the podium instead of imploding, and 4) Mao was out of medal contention so there's no perception that she was robbed of any medal.

When people say they feel that Yuna was off, that her performance at Sochi was less exciting than she could have done her fans say: "it's high art, it's the most difficult, it has deep meaning, it's the sorrowful tango..." Totally not valid points for normal people who are not fans at all. If they don't get it right away, then there're high probability that she was off and the judges might think so too.

To people who usually don't follow ladies event like me, you shouldn't USE THE CARD "you are big Mao's fan and Yuna's hatter" because it only show how biased you are when you are short on argument. Hora, someone said they are not fond of Yuna's FS, that one must be Mao's fan. WHAT? Where the hell that reasoning came from?

It's purely my opinion when I say I don't feel that this girl's performance was that exciting, and I don't place her in the 1st of FS and I can see why there are people who think her FS was not that strong. It has nothing to do with other skaters who I happen NOT to be their fans. I also happened to stumble some FS blogs in which people think like me. Base on your logic, I suppose they are all Mao's fan, huh? How bizzare!

They say I am Mao's big fan. Seriously? ME? Are you kidding me? :jaw::jaw: Do you know HOW MANY performances of Mao that I have watched from Vancourver? I can count them on one hand. Definitely not up to 5. :rofl::rofl:

Okay I am done. Some people have taken fandom to a whole new level!

Ophelia

Record Breaker
^I agree with the opinion that Yuna was flat and detached, and that has nothing to do with how avant garde Adio's choreography may or may not be.

However, I disagree with posters who say that Yuna should've been as spunky and excited as Adelina. Adios Nonino is a mourning song so it calls for a more subdued delivery. The proper mood for Adios should be "soulful".

sk8in

Match Penalty
The major issue with the idea of "Yuna was flat," or "she wasn't her best/lacked Adelina's energy" etc, is that this is not criteria for the scoring system. If you're going to critique Yuna's presentation, you should base it on observations, not vacuous 'feelings' about it. I agree with Sandra Bezic who said her choreography made for an extremely emotionally nuanced performance. I admire how Yuna planned both these programs with the theme of saying farewell to the sport. She thought about the context of her career, and not just that individual competition, which demonstrates integrity and confidence. I definitely prefer it to some cheesy cliche 'tango' or whatever where she's cha-chaing across the ice with a big *** flower in her hair or whatever.

Meoima

Match Penalty
^I agree with the opinion that Yuna was flat and detached, and that has nothing to do with how avant garde Adio's choreography may or may not be.
However, I disagree with posters who say that Yuna should've been as spunky and excited as Adelina. Adios Nonino is a mourning song so it calls for a more subdued delivery. The proper mood for Adios should be "soulful".
Personally I think Yuna was put under immense pressure. She was the one who skated last. The crowd were extremely hostile. So that's why she was kinda off. For her to take the ice and skate like that, surely a deserving champion. The problem I have with her free skate is I still feel so off even after 5 times watching it.

I don't think she should've showed excitement or the attitude "die for the gold" like Adelina. Yuna has her own style/class and she could have staked much better than that. The thing is it just happens to have many minuses (the choreography, the music, the atmosphere of the audience...) to the overall.

David Wilson was never my favourite choreographer. His works recently are all miss. What a pity that all the top skaters are so reliable on him.
PChan, Javi, Yuzuru... and Yuna. Seriously they should have dumb him for other choreographers. I can't tell you how much I disappointed how he got all the long free skates this and last season for PChan and Yuzuru!! Extremely lackluster. :bang: That's why I said Yuna should've stick with him for so long.

I hope David Wilson will not kill off all the excitement of next season's long programs. :unsure:

And I agree with Mathman, Adios Nonino was not a good choice for OGM. It's not judge-friendly. Yuna's strategy was not bad, but not a solid strategy for her to secure her wins.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I agree that the pressure of skating last in a hostile environment contributed to the subdued and tense feeling of Kim's performance. When she finished Adios, the girl looked like she had been put through the wringer/escaped the execution block.

David Wilson's last great programs for Kim were her 2011 set.

evangeline

Record Breaker
The major issue with the idea of "Yuna was flat," or "she wasn't her best/lacked Adelina's energy" etc, is that this is not criteria for the scoring system.

Actually...this is a criterion under Performance/Execution in PCS, which describes the following as part of the criteria for that particular component: "Projection - The skater radiates energy resulting in an invisible connection with the audience."

Link: http://static.isu.org/media/104183/program-component-explanations.pdf

Vanshilar

On the Ice
Yes, the whole Yuna/Adelina focus makes it like it's only Yuna who was robbed. But it's not only her. The scores went wrong for all the top ladies but they were cast aside. Yuna was all hailed the queen by the fans, Adelina get all the hate, other skaters are forgotten. The judging problem remains. ;)

Eh the focus on Yuna and Adelina is simply because they're the higher scorers. If you really want to see if the judging were fair you'd look at all 30 skaters, but nobody on this forum has the time for that.* How many step sequences have you looked at so far? And yet you're saying other people need to do 6 to justify their position?

To people who usually don't follow ladies event like me, you shouldn't USE THE CARD "you are big Mao's fan and Yuna's hatter" because it only show how biased you are when you are short on argument. Hora, someone said they are not fond of Yuna's FS, that one must be Mao's fan. WHAT? Where the hell that reasoning came from?

Have you even bothered to look at the first page of this thread? People were already calling BoP names multiple times just for looking in detail at the judging of the footwork.

*(And before you say "well what about the judges", there's a big difference between figure skating fans looking the videos in their spare time versus figure skating experts who have access to high-quality footage doing it as part of their professional position.)

sk8in

Match Penalty
Right but 'projection' is a specific aspect of the performance. You can point to numerous instances where Yuna was projecting---smiling/giving looks of mourning at different points in the program. That aspect of the components is not just there for the judges personal opinion on how resonant the program is. It is to reward skaters who put effort into the performance, and don't just treat their programs like a skating exhibition. The general sentiment that it 'felt flat' simply because the crowd was hostile/the excitement was behind Adelina because she was on 'home ice' has little to do with the actual skating. Those are context driven, and super subjective impressions. Like you can't downgrade someone's score just because you don't like their musical choice. And there is not some scale in the PCS that says the campier it is the better it is.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Eh the focus on Yuna and Adelina is simply because they're the higher scorers. If you really want to see if the judging were fair you'd look at all 30 skaters, but nobody on this forum has the time for that.* How many step sequences have you looked at so far? And yet you're saying other people need to do 6 to justify their position?
My point is, how about compare skaters that also have (quite) strong free skates that night? Not the whole 30 skaters. I mean if you want to be fair, then shouldn't you do as many researchs as possible? Yes, I know no one has the time for that, sadly.

Have you even bothered to look at the first page of this thread? People were already calling BoP names multiple times just for looking in detail at the judging of the footwork.
If you follow from the beginning of this thread, you could have seen my comments as well. I know what this thread was all about from the 1st place. I only put a comment saying that I don't think Yuna's would be 1st in the free skate. People are quoting me so I simply answer because it sends report to my ipad. For the conversation to come this far, I don't understand why and I don't have much enthusiasm for ladies event, as I have stated. I only said what I feel about that day.

*(And before you say "well what about the judges", there's a big difference between figure skating fans looking the videos in their spare time versus figure skating experts who have access to high-quality footage doing it as part of their professional position.)
Yes, there's the big different, that's why they are judges.
But can you expect judges to right away FEEL the nuances of Adios Nonino, the concept, the deep meaning, the reflection of souls, the difficulty, the farewell... all that or whatever reasons that Yuna's fans are interpreting on their own? Don't you think it's a bit forced if we have to feel Yuna's free skate that way? Because certainly we don't feel that way. And even Yuna herself might even find those interpretation amusing as well.

My point is simple, your job of skating in competition is to impress the judges and the audience LIVE. Simple as that.

cuon_alpinus

On the Ice
But can you expect judges to right away FEEL the nuances of Adios Nonino, the concept, the deep meaning, the reflection of souls, the difficulty, the farewell... all that or whatever reasons that Yuna's fans are interpreting on their own? Don't you think it's a bit forced if we have to feel Yuna's free skate that way? Because certainly we don't feel that way. And even Yuna herself might even find those interpretation amusing as well.

My point is simple, your job of skating in competition is to impress the judges and the audience LIVE. Simple as that.

They should all be familiar with the music and should be able to interpret the performances as they watch, since two of the judging criteria for PCS are choreography and interpretation. And certainly there are people who have understood the performances. Dick button said "Yuna charming here subjective elements in the component scores ( the artistry) were outstanding ...... David Wilson was extraordinary choice to choreograph." And Italian commentators said the music was very hard to interpret and yuna did very good job. "Make Adelina do tango, she won't even reach the end of the program." Then, how did they understood the performance right away? Because they have watched figure skating many times for long time and knows how to interpret music as well as the performance as a whole. And judges should be able to do so too.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Dick button said "Yuna charming here subjective elements in the component scores ( the artistry) were outstanding ...... David Wilson was extraordinary choice to choreograph."
I'm sure he did. :rofl: He's old, but I don't think he's that incoherent quite yet. :laugh: It really loses the effect without the spaces or added punctuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.