Analyzing Sotnikova and Kim's footwork in the FS | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Analyzing Sotnikova and Kim's footwork in the FS

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMC

Record Breaker
I♥Yuna;884593 said:
Great analysis, BOP - that's the best one I've read so far.

Question for everyone: who else disagrees with the results and knows the rules in-depth like BoP? It would be awesome if you could get a group together for a collaborative blog to dissect the results in Sochi, and gear it towards the casual fan - at the very least it would help people learn more about the sport and what goes into the scoring.

That's an AWESOME idea! Especially gearing it towards the casual fan in order to help them understand COP.

I would love to see a step-by step analysis of the free skates of Yuna, Adelina, Carolina and Mao (Mao especially because of the "Adelina won because her BV was bigger").

And no, I do not hate Adelina. If anything, I feel sorry for her!

She's very good, she's very young, and I'm sure that 8 years from now she'd rather remember winning a well deserved bronze in 2014 and possibly a well-deserved gold in 2018 - instead of forever being aware that millions of people think that she didn't deserve that Sochi gold. The more evidence I find about this fix, the worse I feel for her :cry: She's so young and by all accounts a sweet girl, she didn't deserve this!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
A solid analysis, but I think we all know the answer to why it was called a level 4. At any rate, she loses only about 0.7 points for a level 3 and the same GOE.

I agree though that unless other skaters' footwork sequences are also analyzed, this is quite apparently a (yet ANOTHER) blatant anti-Sotnikova thread.

VirMo

On the Ice
The truth is that the technical panel cannot determine the level of a step sequence precisely because of humanly constraints. It's impossible to count and keep track of all the different edge works and turns, especially going from Level 3 to Level 4. My guess is they were all borderline cases. When things are borderline, that's when bias comes in to play.

bara1968

On the Ice
I deleted my original post due to incorrect information (usa today did not analyse Sot's spin. I got confused with one of their articles pointing out possible fix). But still, I do not agree with Sot's TES mainly because of the overlooked mistakes on her jumps.

By the way, thank you for your post, BOP.

capcomeback

On the Ice
BoP-

That was awesome analysis! I truly believe that you know more about skating than Tara now, lol.

Seriously, I know this is a lot to ask, but could you provide a similar analysis for Yuna and Carolina to provide some comparison? This will ensure the Adelina lovers that this is not so much about hate for their skater, but as more evidence that the judging/officiating was unbalanced in support of her. Thanks!

gmyers

Record Breaker
Be sure to analyse the other skaters too for comparison, at this level of detail.
Unless this is Just Another Hate Sotnikova Thread?

Of course it is another Hate Sotnikova thread. It's nonsense and ridiculous.

chloepoco

Medalist
Is this thread really necessary? Why don't you just add it to one of the other 50 other threads on basically the same subject?

bara1968

On the Ice
How can this be seen as another Sot hate thread? I see an analysis, not one single hate comment from OP.

usethis2

Medalist
How is this Adelina hate thread, I will never know. If "hate" must be attached to somewhere in someone's mind, I'd probably go with "Alexander hate."

capcomeback

On the Ice
The truth is that the technical panel cannot determine the level of a step sequence precisely because of humanly constraints. It's impossible to count and keep track of all the different edge works and turns, especially going from Level 3 to Level 4. My guess is they were all borderline cases. When things are borderline, that's when bias comes in to play.

Does the tech panel even analyze this or is it the judges? Aren't the step sequences fairly understood ahead of the actual skate (as the announcers seem to know what they are supposed to be and comment on them), so it is just a matter of determine whether a skater actually executed the footwork elements well enough to receive credit for a level four?

My guess is that when Adelina received Level 3's at other events, it was in response to her not executing the proper footwork elements she was attempting to show for Level 4 credit. According to BoP, it seems that she failed in Sochi as well, but perhaps benefited from some home-cooking to get extra credit for something she failed to execute.

What Adelina supporters have to understand that this is not about hate for her, but a failure (and/or perhaps worse -cheating) in the judging/officiating process that led to scores that were beyond just significantly elevated (in other words I can consider significance to be above the margin of her victory. Beyond significance would be more than double digit points when combined with elevated GOEs, various components of PCS and other TES inaccuracies).

People need to understand that while Adelina did some good things in her SP and FS, she is not a worthy champion (though a worthy medalist, IMHO). The eye test (I know 6.0 thinking, but in this case, is justified this time), seems validated by the facts.

JayW

Final Flight
The rules are completely misinterpreted to come to a conclusion based around sotnikova hatred.

I disagree. No one hates Adelina, people simply don't think the judging was right. If there was "misinterpretation", it should be those judges.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It is about hatred of sotnikova! Either prove a judge was corrupt or stop posting all these hate Adelina threads!

TMC

Record Breaker
How can this be seen as another Sot hate thread? I see an analysis, not one single hate comment from OP.

I agree. And it's a bit much to say that this is hate because there are no analyses of other skaters' skates YET - the thread is only about 4 hours old and idk but I imagine it may take a few minutes to prepare such a detailed analysis...

I see no Adelina-hate here, but I see some very justified shady-judging-hate!

I'm trying to think of what would be good for the sport (transparency & accountablity in judging etc.), not attempting to hate on the one person who has nothing really to do with the way the judging went down.

gmyers

Record Breaker
There is no good analysis here at all because the rules are misinterpreted soley so that sotnikovas level 4 becomes a level 3. The whole thread is a lie based on hatred of sotnikova.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Seriously, I know this is a lot to ask, but could you provide a similar analysis for Yuna and Carolina to provide some comparison? This will ensure the Adelina lovers that this is not so much about hate for their skater, but as more evidence that the judging/officiating was unbalanced in support of her. Thanks!
Now if you weren't so biased, you would have said "but to show whether or not", instead of "but as more evidence that".

Status
Not open for further replies.