Analyzing Sotnikova and Kim's footwork in the FS | Page 54 | Golden Skate

Analyzing Sotnikova and Kim's footwork in the FS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanshilar

On the Ice
It's refreshing to see that a skater like Yuna can't just waltz in, rest on her reputation and do fewer triples and easier jumps, and win. She avoided competing against the best this season until Sochi and everyone was alarmed how lacking her program was when compared next to Adelina in the same event.

I know. I mean, Adelina didn't even do an 8th triple nor a triple axel and still had the highest score in the LP. But hey, it's okay for Adelina but out of the question for Yuna, right?

Ven

Match Penalty
The result would've looked too unacceptable for the judges to attempt that, homecooking or not. That's what I believe anyway.

The results already look too unacceptable to many. Didn't stop them. What's a few more disgusted fans at the margins?

Nadya

On the Ice
That Oldshenko only has to stay on his feet to beat a good Hanyu or Chan, given where his skating is at this stage in his career, is already laughable enough if we are willing to agree just that far. That a skater like Sotnikova or Lipnitskaya merely has to stay on her feet to beat skaters like Asada, Kostner, and Kim is equally, if not even more, laughable.
Unfortunately, these skaters didn't show up to the long program.

I would also say that mocking skaters doesn't reflect well on you. Oldshenko? Really?

Meoima

Match Penalty
The result would've looked too unacceptable for the judges to attempt that, homecooking or not. That's what I believe anyway.
Yes, remember Tarasova said things like she never saw an Olympic Champion who fell like Hanyu? I bet no matter how much Russian feds wanted Adelina to win, they wouldn't be so blind to made Adelina a champion with a fall.
Tarasova must have been very furious because her favorite Kovtun was not sent to the men event, given the tedious of the men that day. But I doubt that even Kovtun had a chance there, I mean his mental is surely weaker than those men on the podium.
If Plushy stayed, who knows, maybe the men would have been better that night. Maybe Plushy jinxed the ice before he left. :laugh:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Some did, some didn't. There is no universal gush.
That I agree. Even though I don't like Adelina's style, and I still couldn't figure out the theme of her FS, she did skate so well. The commentators was so fired up at her jumps even though they disagree with her PCS.

As for Yuna, I was kind of underwhelmed. Maybe I had expected her to be better than Vancouver 2010, but she was not.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@Ven

Do you post anything positive about any skater other than Yuna? Too me you've been so overly critical of everything it takes from your credibility. Everyone knew going into the Olympics everyone's scores would rise. Mao even fixed her FS to only have one 3a to ensure a better program.

Until you respect both sides of the equation you will always come off as unbalanced. You're like a wrecking ball determined to find every flaw in the structure. I contend the foundation is strong and the up and coming skaters can be as great as their predecessors. This is where we vary greatly I fear. It's not a perfect system. To expect it it to be is the biggest fallacy presented here IMO.

Yuna getting a silver for her performance isn't the end of skating. No matter how many times you say it.

Ven

Match Penalty
@Ven

Do you post anything positive about any skater other than Yuna? Too me you've been so overly critical of everything it takes from your credibility.

I have gushed about many other skaters. I tend not to have infatuations with 15 year old girls though, so I admit, I don't give them too much praise. But you were probably too busy creating Lipnitskaia avatars to notice.

AC96

Rinkside
In response to the poster who asked us to compare all the top long programs, and not just Adelina versus Yuna, I went back to the protocols and found this:

In Asada's particular situation, aside from the low GOEs and unwarranted URs, the two judges who scored her PCS most harshly gave her a 65.6 and a 66, judges 6 and 7. Those same two judges gave Sotnikova her columns of almost entirely +3 GOEs as well as PCS scores of 74.4 and 77.2, respectively. They were not even the two judges who gave Sotnikova her highest PCS scores (Judge 2 was also overzealous), but my point here is that we can't dismiss their lowballing of Mao as simply due to them being conservative judges in general; they are obviously open to giving high 9s to skaters (or perhaps just one skater). Argue as you may, but I don't think anybody could ever justify giving Asada a 66 in PCS and Sotnikova a 77.2 in comparison. It's just not credible.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
A lot of people, even Yuna fans who still thought she should have won, thought her performance was flat. There's a reason she hasn't skated in a GP event since 2009, and it's because she doesn't want to have her programs assessed against her top competitors until she is forced to a Worlds/Olympics.

She had two GP slots this season, i.e. she submitted her name for them? Yes she didn't end up competing because of injury -- does that mean she pretended to be injured so she wouldn't have to compete against the top in the world? Unless I misinterpreted the sentence bolded, I'd take that to mean that Yuna is a coward who can't handle competition. Not sure if that's a fair assessment.

Yuna certainly didn't like competition -- she has never hid that fact. But certainly I don't think she purposely tried to avoid it either.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have gushed about many other skaters. I tend not to have infatuations with 15 year old girls though, so I admit, I don't give them too much praise. But you were probably too busy creating Lipnitskaia avatars to notice.

Ah yes.. "The sport is declining". Logical solution...attack the fans. That will help.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Asada got low scores because she skated early. This isn't the first time this has happened; in fact it almost always happens. Caro got substantially higher PCS than Yuna in the SP because she skated much later. In the LP, Yuna got the highest PCS because she skated last. Is it fair? Probably not, but that's just how scoring works in figure skating. Asada was in no way singled-out.

whatif

Medalist
Did you forget that she had two GP slots this season, i.e. she submitted her name for them? Yes she didn't end up competing because of injury -- so you hinting that she pretended to be injured so she wouldn't have to compete against the top in the world? You're basically accusing Yuna of being a coward who can't handle competition. Not sure if that's a fair assessment.

That's one way to put words in somebody's mouth. Good job at spinning it. You will stop at nothing.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
That's one way to put words in somebody's mouth. Good job at spinning it. You will stop at nothing.

Huh? :confused: This is my first time in the thread in some time. That statement just caught my attention. I don't agree that she "avoided" competition.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She had two GP slots this season, i.e. she submitted her name for them? Yes she didn't end up competing because of injury -- does that mean she pretended to be injured so she wouldn't have to compete against the top in the world? Unless I misinterpreted the sentence bolded, I'd take that to mean that Yuna is a coward who can't handle competition. Not sure if that's a fair assessment.

What about last year? Or 2011? She skated awfully well the week of the GPF this season, so I find it hard to believe that she couldn't skate a week or two earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.