Page 72 of 114 FirstFirst ... 22 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1710

Thread: Analyzing Sotnikova and Kim's footwork in the FS

  1. #1066
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,738
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    Pot, meet Kettle.
    No one thought that Yuna's Sochi programs were her best ever, so I guess if you did there was one.

  2. #1067
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    That Oldshenko only has to stay on his feet to beat a good Hanyu or Chan, given where his skating is at this stage in his career, is already laughable enough if we are willing to agree just that far. That a skater like Sotnikova or Lipnitskaya merely has to stay on her feet to beat skaters like Asada, Kostner, and Kim is equally, if not even more, laughable.
    Unfortunately, these skaters didn't show up to the long program.

    I would also say that mocking skaters doesn't reflect well on you. Oldshenko? Really?

  3. #1068
    Ice is slippery Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    5,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    The result would've looked too unacceptable for the judges to attempt that, homecooking or not. That's what I believe anyway.
    Yes, remember Tarasova said things like she never saw an Olympic Champion who fell like Hanyu? I bet no matter how much Russian feds wanted Adelina to win, they wouldn't be so blind to made Adelina a champion with a fall.
    Tarasova must have been very furious because her favorite Kovtun was not sent to the men event, given the tedious of the men that day. But I doubt that even Kovtun had a chance there, I mean his mental is surely weaker than those men on the podium.
    If Plushy stayed, who knows, maybe the men would have been better that night. Maybe Plushy jinxed the ice before he left.

  4. #1069
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    Once again, you're just making this up and attempting revisionist history. People GUSHED about her performance.
    Some did, some didn't. There is no universal gush.

  5. #1070
    Ice is slippery Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    5,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadya View Post
    Some did, some didn't. There is no universal gush.
    That I agree. Even though I don't like Adelina's style, and I still couldn't figure out the theme of her FS, she did skate so well. The commentators was so fired up at her jumps even though they disagree with her PCS.

    As for Yuna, I was kind of underwhelmed. Maybe I had expected her to be better than Vancouver 2010, but she was not.

  6. #1071
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    3,657
    @Ven

    Do you post anything positive about any skater other than Yuna? Too me you've been so overly critical of everything it takes from your credibility. Everyone knew going into the Olympics everyone's scores would rise. Mao even fixed her FS to only have one 3a to ensure a better program.

    Until you respect both sides of the equation you will always come off as unbalanced. You're like a wrecking ball determined to find every flaw in the structure. I contend the foundation is strong and the up and coming skaters can be as great as their predecessors. This is where we vary greatly I fear. It's not a perfect system. To expect it it to be is the biggest fallacy presented here IMO.

    Yuna getting a silver for her performance isn't the end of skating. No matter how many times you say it.

  7. #1072
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadya View Post
    Some did, some didn't. There is no universal gush.
    That poster said "everyone" found her underwhelming. I said people gushed about her performance. You'll need to try harder next time.

  8. #1073
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    @Ven

    Do you post anything positive about any skater other than Yuna? Too me you've been so overly critical of everything it takes from your credibility.
    I have gushed about many other skaters. I tend not to have infatuations with 15 year old girls though, so I admit, I don't give them too much praise. But you were probably too busy creating Lipnitskaia avatars to notice.

  9. #1074
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    22
    In response to the poster who asked us to compare all the top long programs, and not just Adelina versus Yuna, I went back to the protocols and found this:

    In Asada's particular situation, aside from the low GOEs and unwarranted URs, the two judges who scored her PCS most harshly gave her a 65.6 and a 66, judges 6 and 7. Those same two judges gave Sotnikova her columns of almost entirely +3 GOEs as well as PCS scores of 74.4 and 77.2, respectively. They were not even the two judges who gave Sotnikova her highest PCS scores (Judge 2 was also overzealous), but my point here is that we can't dismiss their lowballing of Mao as simply due to them being conservative judges in general; they are obviously open to giving high 9s to skaters (or perhaps just one skater). Argue as you may, but I don't think anybody could ever justify giving Asada a 66 in PCS and Sotnikova a 77.2 in comparison. It's just not credible.

  10. #1075
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    9,349
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    A lot of people, even Yuna fans who still thought she should have won, thought her performance was flat. There's a reason she hasn't skated in a GP event since 2009, and it's because she doesn't want to have her programs assessed against her top competitors until she is forced to a Worlds/Olympics.
    She had two GP slots this season, i.e. she submitted her name for them? Yes she didn't end up competing because of injury -- does that mean she pretended to be injured so she wouldn't have to compete against the top in the world? Unless I misinterpreted the sentence bolded, I'd take that to mean that Yuna is a coward who can't handle competition. Not sure if that's a fair assessment.

    Yuna certainly didn't like competition -- she has never hid that fact. But certainly I don't think she purposely tried to avoid it either.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 05-02-2014 at 04:29 PM.

  11. #1076
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    3,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    I have gushed about many other skaters. I tend not to have infatuations with 15 year old girls though, so I admit, I don't give them too much praise. But you were probably too busy creating Lipnitskaia avatars to notice.
    Ah yes.. "The sport is declining". Logical solution...attack the fans. That will help.

  12. #1077
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,738
    Asada got low scores because she skated early. This isn't the first time this has happened; in fact it almost always happens. Caro got substantially higher PCS than Yuna in the SP because she skated much later. In the LP, Yuna got the highest PCS because she skated last. Is it fair? Probably not, but that's just how scoring works in figure skating. Asada was in no way singled-out.

  13. #1078
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Did you forget that she had two GP slots this season, i.e. she submitted her name for them? Yes she didn't end up competing because of injury -- so you hinting that she pretended to be injured so she wouldn't have to compete against the top in the world? You're basically accusing Yuna of being a coward who can't handle competition. Not sure if that's a fair assessment.
    That's one way to put words in somebody's mouth. Good job at spinning it. You will stop at nothing.

  14. #1079
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    9,349
    Quote Originally Posted by whatif View Post
    That's one way to put words in somebody's mouth. Good job at spinning it. You will stop at nothing.
    Huh? This is my first time in the thread in some time. That statement just caught my attention. I don't agree that she "avoided" competition.

  15. #1080
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,738
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    She had two GP slots this season, i.e. she submitted her name for them? Yes she didn't end up competing because of injury -- does that mean she pretended to be injured so she wouldn't have to compete against the top in the world? Unless I misinterpreted the sentence bolded, I'd take that to mean that Yuna is a coward who can't handle competition. Not sure if that's a fair assessment.
    What about last year? Or 2011? She skated awfully well the week of the GPF this season, so I find it hard to believe that she couldn't skate a week or two earlier.

Page 72 of 114 FirstFirst ... 22 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •