Page 74 of 114 FirstFirst ... 24 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1710

Thread: Analyzing Sotnikova and Kim's footwork in the FS

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alain View Post
    What's the point. Adelina is an Olympic champion. Yuna is a silver medalist. It will not change.
    You or I might as well be called olympic champion. It's a meaningless title, just like all those medals have no meaning. The point with all these threads and posts are that people want to speak up about what a farce they think figure skating competitions are. The competitions should be eliminated and skaters should just do shows now. Spineless people like Scott Hamilton go through life proclaiming they are "Olympic Champion" like it means anything. No, real people like Yuna Kim say "I don't want to be remembered as olympic gold medalist or silver medalist, only as a skater."

Yuna Kim was the real winner from Sochi, and figure skating was the loser. Now the ISU is bankrupt because fewer and fewer people every year accept the legitimacy of the competitions. Except for those ever-decreasing numbers of figure skating fans, most people could give two f***s about figure skating, and who can blame them?

I think themes are overrated. The theme of a winning program is, "I can do this. And I can do this. And I can do this. What can you do?"

What the theme of Michelle Kwan's Lyra Angelica program? "Michelle skating." Strangely, that was also the theme of her Red Violin program.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    You or I might as well be called olympic champion.
    When you go out on the ice, skate the best 7 triple program of your life with the pressure of skating in front of an audience who is hoping you will win, then I will call you an Olympic champion. Had Julia won with two falls, that would have been a farce. The skater who won had the highest BV by a good margin and executed all but one element flawlessly. This isn't a pageant, it's a competition and you have to do more than your opponents to win.

Custom Title
    ^_^ @ Mathman

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    When you go out on the ice, skate the best 7 triple program of your life with the pressure of skating in front of an audience who is hoping you will win
    1. This is not the criteria for winning a competition.

2. Said skater did not complete 7 triples, she completed 6 and was fraudulently given credit for the extra one.

3. Because the competitions are decided mostly by backroom deals, and not by what the skaters actually do on the ice.

Spineless people like Scott Hamilton go through life proclaiming they are "Olympic Champion" like it means anything.
    I think you are too hard on Scott Hamilton. Hamilton had a huge positive impact of the popularity of figure skating in the United States through his entrepreneurial talents. When Ice Capades told him that no one will pay to see a man skating, he started his own show, Stars on Ice, building it from the ground up from into the premier US pro skating tour for the better part of three decades. (Sort of like Yuna Kim's All That Skate adventures. )

Having the credential of Olympic champion helped him get his foot in the door, but his success came from entertaining audiences as a showman and organizing the talents of others (Kurt Browning, Kristi Yamaguchi) as an impresario.

Say no to horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I think themes are overrated. The theme of a winning program is, "I can do this. And I can do this. And I can do this. What can you do?" :

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I think you are too hard on Scott Hamilton. Hamilton had a huge positive impact of the popularity of figure skating in the United States through his entrepreneurial talents. When Ice Capades told him that no one will pay to see a man skating, he started his own show, Stars on Ice, building it from the ground up from into the premier US pro skating tour for the better part of three decades. (Sort of like Yuna Kim's All That Skate adventures. )

Having the credential of Olympic champion helped him get his foot in the door, but his success came from entertaining audiences as a showman and organizing the talents of others (Kurt Browning, Kristi Yamaguchi) as an impresario.
    Sochi 2014 is only but one example in a long history of Scott Hamilton talking out of both sides of his mouth on many issues. Like a politician, he exhibits no integrity, vacillating back and forth whichever way the ISU winds blow, often displaying a great amount of hypocrisy.

I have no respect for those kind of people.

Custom Title
    To some degree, Mathman is right. But I personally like programs with a theme--extra props if you can do a story/character piece. Of course, this doesn't mean programs with themes/stories always deserve to win over those that don't, regardless of execution.

Thanks, gkelly, for TAT's explanation. I too felt befuddled about the theme of Adelina's free skate. I dunno if the explanation holds any water, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

RE: Michelle--I think, say, "Tosca" was the more "I can do this. And this! Take that!" skate. Lyra Angelica was calmer, more introspective.

Sochi 2014 is only but one example in a long history of Scott Hamilton talking out of both sides of his mouth on many issues...

...I have no respect for those kind of people.
    As Teddy Roosevelt said

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena…

Banned
    And that arena gets more and more empty by the year, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    RE: Michelle--I think, say, "Tosca" was the more "I can do this. And this! Take that!" skate...
    I know, right? "You talkin' to me, Sasha? There's only me and you here, so you must be taklin' to me."

To quote GM member Pepe Nero's custom signature, "I got your program components right here!"

Custom Title
    Sochi 2014 is only but one example in a long history of Scott Hamilton talking out of both sides of his mouth on many issues. Like a politician, he exhibits no integrity, vacillating back and forth whichever way the ISU winds blow, often displaying a great amount of hypocrisy.

I have no respect for those kind of people.
    I think he just loves everyone and wants everyone to get excited about figure skating. I don't think he has some evil intentions..

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    When you go out on the ice, skate the best 7 triple program of your life with the pressure of skating in front of an audience who is hoping you will win, then I will call you an Olympic champion. Had Julia won with two falls, that would have been a farce. The skater who won had the highest BV by a good margin and executed all but one element flawlessly. This isn't a pageant, it's a competition and you have to do more than your opponents to win.
    1. Adelina flutzed, which in combination with 2 flips, I think should be given a harsher penalty.
    2. She was not called for the flutz.
    3. She URed her 3T and it was looked over.

It was not "flawless" in any way. Sure, she attempted more, but I don't think she achieved more.

And that arena gets more and more empty by the year, doesn't it?
    Can't blame Scott Hamilton for that. Scott filled arenas for twenty-five years. U.S. audiences are not much interested in that form of entertainment any more, largely for the same reason that figure skating movies a la Sonia Henie faded away in the 1950s. Cultural tastes change.

On the positive side, who would have guessed that Dancing with the Stars would make it as a popular television show? Who could have imagined that Olympic champ ice dancer Meryl Davis would be able to jump in and grab the show by the short hairs?

Page 74 of 114 FirstFirst ... 24 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... LastLast