Analyzing Sotnikova and Kim's footwork in the FS | Page 77 | Golden Skate

Analyzing Sotnikova and Kim's footwork in the FS

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiRé

Match Penalty
As much as I appreciate your obsession with me, it deflects from any meaningful discussion of why Adelina deserved to win, which is why I'm here.

Honey, your obsession with Yuna and Yuna fans and my obsession with you is like comparing a light from a moon to a light from a firefly. FYI, you have yet to provide a meaningful discussion against everything BoP put out on this thread. And please stop making excuses.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Honey, your obsession with Yuna and Yuna fans and my obsession with you is like comparing a light from a moon to a light from a firefly. FYI, you have yet to provide a meaningful discussion against everything BoP put out on this thread. And please stop making excuses.

Here's is my basic view. Nothing I have seen convinces me that more than two, and certainly not seven or nine, of the judges would have any incentive to cheat. All nine gave Adelina her highest scores ever by a mile. That's really all that matters. Because of the judges' geographic diversity, I find it disingenuous to accuse so many of them of being cheaters. My OPINION is that the many Yuna fans don't like the result and are desperately trying to create a narrative that the outcome was determined based on dishonesty, ignoring the very important fact that the panel universally loved Adelina and represented a wide variety of countries.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
*There are over 2 million on one petition. Even if 90% were Korean, that would still be over 200,000 people of other backgrounds.
Try getting 200,000 people to care about the entire sport of figure skating, let alone one skater ... if you can.

*Read all of the threads on GS. You will see many people from many backgrounds believe Sochi Ladies was rigged.

*Read the live thread. You will see nearly without exception everyone mocked the competition as it happened.

*The same thing happened in every live thread I followed on dozens of different forums on the internet.

*Former skaters like Katerina Witt, Kurt Browning, Tim Wood, Dick Button, Gwendal Peizerat, Robin Cousins, and many others all said Yuna won.

*Many current and former judges and officials gave interviews with the media and stated they believed Yuna and Carolina were better, and the results were corrupted.
90% would be "most", would it not? Not just "most" but an overwhelming majority.
And yet you say it is "false" to refer to 90% as "most".

And yeah, I'm really going to go read all the threads, on all the forums where malcontents congregate to cry on each other's shoulders. What would that prove? Only that malcontents go to forums to whine loudly. Nothing more.

There is no way to know how many are silent, because they don't see any scandal, don't want to deal with irrational fanatics, don't care, etc etc.

Claiming that you speak for the majoirty, is just so much hot air.
Just as hot and empty, and lacking in credibilty as anyone else's here.

PS. Robin Cousins changed his tune after the live event. Not that any of their opinions are proof of anything, either way.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Robin Cousins changed his tune after the live event. Not that any of their opinions are proof of anything, either way.
What did Robin Cousins say about the lady events, mind sharing me the links?
Thank you.

It's ok to change your mind and its not neccasarily contradictory or insincere. The thing is a fair person is willing to concede certain points that they may have interpreted in one way but in hindsight perceive in another. Sticking your guns has merits as well but no more than the ability to adapt and accept a new take on an old situation.

I think it is literally true that Michelle's views evolved over the few days after the event. Of course this is not contradictory or insincere.

By the way, Tara Lipinski and and Johnny Weir, commenting live, were quite subdued in the booth after Yuna's skate. Johnny said flat out, "I don't think that was enough." He might have meant "not enough considering the huge scores that Adelina put up." I would be curious to know if Johnny, too, came to a different opinion after reviewing and reflecting.

Speaking for myself, I was not outraged in real time. Adelina skated her heart out. Only later, when the post-game analyses started coming in, did the balance start to tip in the other direction (for me). I think it is quite a defensible position to say that, yes, objectively speaking and in the cold sobriety of data like that provided by Blades of Passion on this thread, Yuna was robbed. But in the moment I didn't necessarily feel that way.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Not that any of their opinions are proof of anything, either way.

What it proves is that there was a disagreement about who the winner should have been. People are trying to turn an honest disagreement into a scandal. Why isn't it ok that there are fans and skating experts who think Adelina should have won and others who think Yuna should have won without trying to discredit those who disagree?

Components

Match Penalty
Clearly you are willfully blind in this matter, because replays show Sotnikova's combo was UR, and Kim's Lutz was not.

I've already posted the screen caps.

That second triple lutz was clearly UR.

It's not a matter I'm going to discuss, because its not worth it to argue an obvious fact with someone who is playing dumb just to push their personal agenda.

Have a nice day.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think it is literally true that Michelle's view evolved over the few days after the event. Of course this is not contradictory or insincere.

When did she outright say Yuna should have won? Because she came out and said Adelina deserved to win. That she even changed her mind shows that the decision was one that could have gone either way.

Alba

Record Breaker
What did Robin Cousins say about the lady events, mind sharing me the links?
Thank you.

I think YesWay is referring to the BBC live commentary after Yuna's scores.
He is the link with the videos: http://skating.livedoor.biz/archives/51877526.html
BBC is the first video, and in fact they do seem to think that there is nothing wrong with Adelina's win.
Myabe it was just not to make a debate live though. I don't know.

Tompson

Rinkside
Even though I am a Yuna fan, I can live with it now. Flutz blah stlv blah.. Yuna Getting 2nd OGM and Being a 2nd Witt might be my happy moment. But 1OGM and 1OSM is already good. I think her 2013 comeback and getting title semented her status in this sports.:cry:

Components

Match Penalty
I think YesWay is referring to the BBC live commentary after Yuna lost.
He is the link with the videos: http://skating.livedoor.biz/archives/51877526.html
BBC is the first video, and in fact they do seem to think that there is nothing wrong with Adelina's win.
Myabe it was just not to make a debate live though. I don't know.

"I'm not so sure having seen one of those replays"

Her second Lutz landing :p

When did she outright say Yuna should have won? Because she came out and said Adelina deserved to win. That she even changed her mind shows that the decision was one that could have gone either way.

In the three videos that have been posted above, two by me and one by Vanshilar, Michelle says, successively:

1. By the scoring system, Adelina won fair and square.

2. The biggest surprise of the Olympics was that Yuna placed second.

3. It is not the scoring system that needs to be changed, it is the judges who misuse it.

This is a clear migration, to me.

I agree that it could have gone either way. There is not the slightest doubt that it "could have" gone Adelina's way, because it did. :)

Last edited:

Ven

Match Penalty
I think it is literally true that Michelle's views evolved over the few days after the event. Of course this is not contradictory or insincere.

I'm curious about MK's "unbelievable" tweet to Yuna. The sequence of events was:
1. tweet
2. defend results on FOX
3. later question judging

Some people question what her tweet meant ... was it a compliment for Yuna's performance, or shock at the result? I really think it was critique at the judging, because expressions of shock and disgust tend to be brief, while people are usually effusive and expressive with praise and congratulations.

So if she expressed shock at the result, then defended the results, then questioned them ... I'm not sure this is the case of an evolving opinion. Perhaps someone who thought one thing, and tried to come around to the PC version, but in the end could not stomach it? Otherwise she just sounds confused or not willing to share her honest opinion.

By the way, Tara Lipinski and and Johnny Weir, commenting live, were quite subdued in the booth after Yuna's skate. Johnny said flat out, "I don't think that was enough." He might have meant "not enough considering the huge scores that Adelina put up." I would be curious to know if Johnny, too, came to a different opinion after reviewing and reflecting.

We all know Johnny likes the Russians, so take anything he says with a grain of salt in this matter, but I do think he was cryptic both ways. Tara was not insightful at all, I found her commentary disgusting and unprofessional, as she said Yuna "didn't have any guts out there". The woman who had already won OGM and came back to skate against corrupt judging in a hostile crowd, and delivered a flawless performance while injured ... had no guts? I guess we can forgive someone like Tara for thinking such a thing, since she came and went by 15, before her brain had developed much. Seems like it still hasn't.

Ven

Match Penalty
Her second Lutz landing :p

You must be blind, because I just watched the jump in slow motion for the umpteenth time, and Kim's 3Lz is not UR. I've frozen it down to the exact frame and her foot is almost 100% turned, while her upper body is about 1/8 of a turn short (doesn't matter, but might have caused the close call on the landing?).

Meanwhile, Sotnikova's foot on her UR 3T touches the ice way more than 1/4 revolution short, it's not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.