Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Kavaguti and Smirnov will go for Pyeongchang 2018

Medalist
    Doesn't Yuko have anything else in her life? That's so sad.

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by JayW View Post
    Sorry, I have to admit that I didn't know they have a quad throw.
    Well, I wouldn't say they have it, unfortunately. But they kept trying it for a couple of seasons. For me, it counts. It really is a dare. Love all pairs who try it

Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Good for them. Hopefully they don't drop down in their country by then, but B/L are not skating that well lately, and I don't know V/T's plans exactly (I remember reading something about them making a comeback later..).
    V/T plan to compete next year for sure last I heard, and also plan to go for the 2018 Olys (again, last I heard... who knows what will really happen between now and then). They have talked of taking a season or 2 off in between, but again who knows.

I view the bigger issue than B/L (though B/L beating K/S at least sometimes is surely conceivable given their history recently, especially with K/S's injuries and age) as the fact that Russia also has MANY promising junior pairs. Some, it can be expected, will not survive the little girl's puberty. However, it can also be expected that some will. S/K is obviously also around and not going anywhere, and B/L improving is very unlikely but not unimaginable. If she could land her SBS jumps they would score MUCH better, obviously.

I also worry about them in terms of their age and especially given his injuries and the fact that they have already been on a downward slide, at least with the judges. I'm not going to call this Fumie syndrome yet as some have, and I DEPPLY respect that they wish to continue for next season (and beyond if they can) but I hope they are realistic about their likely limits.

No one does. In practice maybe.

No one has ever landed a throw 3axel either. Even the great Shen and Zhao couldn't. Any revolutionary jump was only (to my knowledge) achieved during a skater's peak, and K&S are way past it.

OK, I respect if people have worthy goals in their lives, but why pursue an unrealistic goal? It's only going to lead to disappointment. They couldn't make it in 2014, so extremely unlikely they'll make in 2018 when they're pushing 40.

There are so many wonderful things they can do with themselves that are far more fulfilling.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    No one has ever landed a throw 3axel either.
    That's not true. Inoue/Baldwin did in 2006 olimpic games
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5i_DGC74fA

Bored
    No one does. In practice maybe.

No one has ever landed a throw 3axel either. Even the great Shen and Zhao couldn't. Any revolutionary jump was only (to my knowledge) achieved during a skater's peak, and K&S are way past it.

OK, I respect if people have worthy goals in their lives, but why pursue an unrealistic goal? It's only going to lead to disappointment. They couldn't make it in 2014, so extremely unlikely they'll make in 2018 when they're pushing 40.

There are so many wonderful things they can do with themselves that are far more fulfilling.
    The impossible dream?
    Yeah, well, maybe that's why it always works for me.
    Anyway, every time I think about all the trust in each other it takes to try it - all the craziness it takes to try it - it's touching. I can't resist
    Well, not like I don't wish well to K/S without a quad throw, but still. It means something even if it's history

Custom Title
    If K/S are continuing, will Moskvina also continue?
    I watched their current season SP/LP. I don't like the SP (hate the music) but the LP could be another masterpiece.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna K. View Post
    Uhhh... a quad throw not difficult enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna K. View Post
    Well, I wouldn't say they have it, unfortunately. But they kept trying it for a couple of seasons. For me, it counts. It really is a dare. Love all pairs who try it

The last time I remember seeing a quad throw from Kavaguti-Smirnov was about 4 years ago, so they definitely don't have it now. If they had it, they would use it at least sometimes. I think they were overtaken by Stolbova-Klimov, so they will be now fighting with Bazarova-Larionova for the third spot. There is also Antipova-Maisuradze; they have the quad twist and improved a lot in the last season. From the next season all the five JGP finalists moves to senior, so by the Olympics in 4 years one of those pairs may grab the third spot. I don't want to sound pessimistic, in most countries Kavaguti-Smirnov would be good enough to be sent but in Russia they will loose in the internal fight for spots.l

Er, I think they would have made the Olympic team over B/L had Alexander not been injured. It's not like they went to Russian Nats and finished too low so were left off the team.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Er, I think they would have made the Olympic team over B/L had Alexander not been injured. It's not like they went to Russian Nats and finished too low so were left off the team.
    Yes... but circumstances were still as such that they were plagued by injury. It's not always about their competitive ability but their physical health. If not physical health, then it's the lack of competitive ability that kept them off the team and that applies to all skaters. It doesn't make a difference what the causes were, we know the what the results were.

Custom Title
    Oh, hooray! Be still my heart... Realistic-shealistic - I don't care! After P/T retired, they're my favourite pair - and as with P/T I won't be overly concerned about placement, but regard every time I get to see them compete and skate as a privilege... Oh, I'm so happy I could cry!

Custom Title
    It's sad that K/S kept getting injured and falling down the rankings (and other Russian pairs started getting better) just when their skating finally blossomed. Remember Clair de Lune? If only K/S were able to skate like that at the height of their competitive success.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    It's sad that K/S kept getting injured and falling down the rankings (and other Russian pairs started getting better) just when their skating finally blossomed. Remember Clair de Lune? If only K/S were able to skate like that at the height of their competitive success.
    Yes, I remember that program, beautiful indeed. For a moment, I thought they were going to have a breakthrough. Sigh!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Oh, hooray! Be still my heart... Realistic-shealistic - I don't care! After P/T retired, they're my favourite pair - and as with P/T I won't be overly concerned about placement, but regard every time I get to see them compete and skate as a privilege... Oh, I'm so happy I could cry!
    I love P/T as well, they are probably the most lyrical pair on ice. Their connection to music and each other are unparalleled. Unfortunately, their peak times overlapped with S/Z, and were greatly overshadowed. Their magic didn't happened as last time in Vancouver, and they retired, I am so sad.

Custom Title
    Question: if they continue, does that mean Moskvina will still train them? She mentioned that the Sochi games would be her last but she didn't have a single entry in it (although she did sit with Putin at the opening). Perhaps she will pass Yuko and Sasha to Oleg Vasiliev and either Peter Tchernyshev or Artur Dmitriev will choreograph? What are Moskvina's thoughts on it?

By the way, I would be over the moon happy to read Moskvina's prospective autobiography if it ever becomes available in English.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast