Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Kavaguti and Smirnov will go for Pyeongchang 2018

#TeamAUS
    Wow. Respect if they continue. It would be best for them to think season by season instead of aiming for 2018. I really hope that they have one last good skate to finish off their careers.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    Yes... but circumstances were still as such that they were plagued by injury. It's not always about their competitive ability but their physical health. If not physical health, then it's the lack of competitive ability that kept them off the team and that applies to all skaters. It doesn't make a difference what the causes were, we know the what the results were.
    It sounds like that was a complete accident when Alexander injured himself, and had nothing to do with his general physical health.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Fumie Syndrome
    Quite.

Given the amount of serious injuries they have both had, their aim doesn't seem very realistic.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    No one does. In practice maybe.

No one has ever landed a throw 3axel either. Even the great Shen and Zhao couldn't. Any revolutionary jump was only (to my knowledge) achieved during a skater's peak, and K&S are way past it.

OK, I respect if people have worthy goals in their lives, but why pursue an unrealistic goal? It's only going to lead to disappointment. They couldn't make it in 2014, so extremely unlikely they'll make in 2018 when they're pushing 40.

There are so many wonderful things they can do with themselves that are far more fulfilling.
    Vise & Trent landed a quad Salcow throw at TEB.
    I&B landed 3As in international competition more than once. Their best effort was 2006 Olympic SP.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    I view the bigger issue than B/L (though B/L beating K/S at least sometimes is surely conceivable given their history recently, especially with K/S's injuries and age) as the fact that Russia also has MANY promising junior pairs. Some, it can be expected, will not survive the little girl's puberty. However, it can also be expected that some will. S/K is obviously also around and not going anywhere, and B/L improving is very unlikely but not unimaginable. If she could land her SBS jumps they would score MUCH better, obviously.
    Tarasova/Morozov already seem past puberty, their technical elements are impressive (textbook twist lift) and they skate with good energy. With some polishing, they could easily develop into medal contenders at the senior level.

There are many other promising pairs but as you said, with the girls being as young as they are and often pre-pubescent, who knows what will happen over the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by kasik8222 View Post
    That's not true. Inoue/Baldwin did in 2006 olimpic games
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5i_DGC74fA
    And not only then. IIRC, their throw triple axel was reasonably consistent for them for a while.

Abitbol/Bernardis have tried it a number of times but never managed to land it. Zagórska/Siudek have been working on it but stopped after she knocked a few of her teeth out on a bad fall from what I can recall.

Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    It's sad that K/S kept getting injured and falling down the rankings (and other Russian pairs started getting better) just when their skating finally blossomed. Remember Clair de Lune? If only K/S were able to skate like that at the height of their competitive success.
    I remember thinking that picking this music for them was crazy. They're not a classical, balletic team and it would only highlight their weaknesses. And apparently Moskvina was very much against it as well. But Tchernyshev asked her to just let him try and in the end the results surprised everyone involved. And the program was beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    Question: if they continue, does that mean Moskvina will still train them? She mentioned that the Sochi games would be her last but she didn't have a single entry in it (although she did sit with Putin at the opening). Perhaps she will pass Yuko and Sasha to Oleg Vasiliev and either Peter Tchernyshev or Artur Dmitriev will choreograph? What are Moskvina's thoughts on it?
    My guess it that she will pass them on to Vasiliev and that Tchernyshev will continue to choreograph for them.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Vise & Trent landed a quad Salcow throw at TEB.
    Ding/Ren had the throw 4toe which they attempted and rotated regularly but it was always landed on two-feet, IIRC.

Sui/Han attempted the throw 4salchow a few times but it was always two-footed, from what I can recall.

Zhang/Zhang landed a clean throw 4salchow but at a national competition.

So Vise/Trent remain the only pair to have landed a clean quad throw in international competition.

Custom Title
    Looks like they've resumed training:

http://www.stadium.ru/news/18-06-201...-tak-sdavatsya

And if Google Translate and my rudimentary knowledge of a few stray Russian words and assumptions are correct, Moskvina is going to continue training them, too.

Anyone have a better translation?

Custom Title
    Yikes! How long can that girl survive? How many shoulder pops, back injuries etc do they both need? This, to me, is a Pluchenko, I've go nothing better to do, let's squeeze every drop of blood out of this move. I admire perseverance but at some point...enough!

Custom Title
    As someone else pointed out - in Russia they are not likely to make it out of the internal fight to get to the Worlds/Olympics stage.

Here's a thought (I'll admit I don't watch a ton of pairs so feel free to correct me if I'm way off base) Yuko is originally from Japan, could they go compete for Japan? Japan doesn't seem to be all that strong in Pairs, their pair didn't even advance to the FS at Sochi.

On the Ice
    Yuko took Russian citizenship so she could compete in pairs at top level. Japan doesn't allow dual citizenship and as we saw with Mervin Tran and Narumi Takahashi, Alexander doesn't have a hope in hell of becoming a Japanese citizen.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sai Bon View Post
    Yuko took Russian citizenship so she could compete in pairs at top level. Japan doesn't allow dual citizenship and as we saw with Mervin Tran and Narumi Takahashi, Alexander doesn't have a hope in hell of becoming a Japanese citizen.
    The citizenship issue is why she and Alexander Markuntsov broke up in 2002. They were world junior medalists and were being groomed for 2002/06 OG, but he couldn't get his passport. She had to give up her Japanese citizenship and become Russian, and even then his scary injury last fall prevented them going to Sochi anyway. :(

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post
    As someone else pointed out - in Russia they are not likely to make it out of the internal fight to get to the Worlds/Olympics stage.

Here's a thought (I'll admit I don't watch a ton of pairs so feel free to correct me if I'm way off base) Yuko is originally from Japan, could they go compete for Japan? Japan doesn't seem to be all that strong in Pairs, their pair didn't even advance to the FS at Sochi.
    Not only has she given up her Japanese citizenship, the original reason/problem which caused this action still exists, i.e. Japan's Pairs issue lies with lack of decent male partners. Same situation for Takahashi but she would not give up her citizenship.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Not only has she given up her Japanese citizenship, the original reason/problem which caused this action still exists, i.e. Japan's Pairs issue lies with lack of decent male partners. Same situation for Takahashi but she would not give up her citizenship.
    So could Smirnov not apply for Japanese citizenship?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post
    So could Smirnov not apply for Japanese citizenship?
    Japanese citizenship is just about the most difficult in the world to obtain and the easiest to lose. Ask Tran.

Custom Title
    Both partners could apply for citizenship elsewhere and skate for a different country, since Japan is difficult to get citizenship and Russia is going to be difficult to get to a Worlds or Olympics level considering the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Japanese citizenship is just about the most difficult in the world to obtain and the easiest to lose. Ask Tran.
    The 'real' reason Tran couldn't get it is that Japan is FIRM in their 5 years continuous residency requirement and he was living and training in Canada. If he'd been willing to live and train in Japan, things might have been different. He was unwilling to do the basic first step to getting citizenship there- a step that is almost never (or possibly absolutely ever) waived. This is the same thing that is likely to stop him from getting US citizenship now.

You also have to learn Japanese, pass written and oral interviews/tests in Japanese, and renounce any other citizenship.

In all honesty, I don't think that citizenship there is really harder to get than in many other countries at least on paper. The difference is they are extremely strict in applying the rules and also that many people aren't willing to surrender another citizenship or go through the (very difficult and arduous for western language speakers) process of learning Japanese well enough for a written and oral test.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast