Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds? | Golden Skate

Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds?

wootie

Match Penalty
Good or bad move?

What does it say about Adelina as a competitor?

What are her reasons for going? Not going?

Upsides? Downsides?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Upside- We won't have to endure more threads where people try to discredit her to no end!!

Downside- She blew it in terms of getting all the gold in the world already. She is 0-1 post Olympics....thats game over!

Good/bad move- Wise

What does it say about her- That Yulia has more determination!!

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
I'm happy that she decided to take it off so we won't have people yelling 'I told you so!' about it if she does badly or saying it was luck and moaning about if if she does well.

I think if she really wanted to prove the critics wrong, she would've pulled it together, but I understand Olympic medalists of any color rarely compete at Worlds because it is so shortly after the Olympics (look at the ice-dancing category, Marlie and Voir are taking it off, even if it's for different reasons, and I/K are the only medalists from dance who might show). I think it was smart but maybe a bit cowardly to skip, considering all the controversy. If she wants to really justify that OGM to the media she should go.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
^Detroit LuV^

Literally!! The city is so beautiful yet misunderstood. I'm so happy to live near it, even if I do get weird looks when I say I'm from here... Not to mention the awesome skating culture around here :)

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
I think that going or not going anyway she is going to be criticized, but al least in my opinion it's less worse that she is not attending so all the eyes aren't on her and she doesn't have that big pressure, but personally I would like to see her giving her best no matter the result, it was the judges fault after all.

usethis2

Medalist
What's sad is that the decision was probably not up to her. We sometimes see public outrage against seeming injustice by USFS's decisions - like the decision to send Ashley instead of Mirai. With Adelina and her federation, nothing is transparent and nobody knows who makes the call. Her coach's post-event interview sums it up succinctly: "We won."

Some people call fanatical Yuna/Mao fans "Yuna fans," "Maobots," pejoratively. With Adelina, I hesitate to call her fans "Sotnikobots" because I know they are not really her fans. Adelina is quite disposable to them because their interest is elsewhere. That was the case before the ladies event and it will be the case once again if and when Adelina is dumped by her federation. Keep an eye on who they are.

P.S. One reason Sky_Fly_ isn't in my ignore list :biggrin: is she at least seems to have her independent opinions, no matter how ridiculous they are. And from what I have seen, she has a decency not to enter a thread just to ruin discussions for everyone else just because she can. She has her own voices and interests, unlike other passive-aggressive losers.

Spinerette

On the Ice
I'm not too sure if Adelina even had a say in going to the worlds. The federation probably told her to stay home. She probably wanted to compete but was told not to do it. They're using her as a puppet. Her career might even be cut short by this scandal. There will always be doubters. It's a shame really. Now she will need to try to skate close to 150 again which she never deserved in the first place. These are all remnants of the communist days still having an influence.

Spinerette

On the Ice
Upside- We won't have to endure more threads where people try to discredit her to no end!!

Downside- She blew it in terms of getting all the gold in the world already. She is 0-1 post Olympics....thats game over!

Good/bad move- Wise

What does it say about her- That Yulia has more determination!!

Ha, do you really think Yulia has more determination? If Yulia won with a score of 153 which she probably would have if she never fell, she wouldn't be going to worlds either. This scandal was never really about Adelina. It was about Putin and putting money in Sochi and wanting gold because he put money into building Sochi. Adelina just happens to be the accessory-the puppet.

VirMo

On the Ice
I don't think there is any upside to this for Adelina.
Case 1. Adelina skips World - People will continue doubting, and even boost on doubting because it seems like it reflects lack of confidence - MODERATE BAD
Case 2. Adelina participates in World:
- Scenario 1: Adelina does excellent - prove doubters wrong and prove herself, first World medal - GOOD
- Scenario 2: Adelina does subpar - validate people who have been doubting her - BAD

BlackPack

Medalist
Do we know whether Adelina skipped due to her own decision or was it the Fed that made her pull out? We don't know so we can't speculate whether she's cowardly or otherwise.

Spinerette

On the Ice
I don't think there is any upside to this for Adelina.
Case 1. Adelina skips World - People will continue doubting, and even boost on doubting because it seems like it reflects lack of confidence - MODERATE BAD
Case 2. Adelina participates in World:
- Scenario 1: Adelina does excellent - prove doubters wrong and prove herself, first World medal - GOOD
- Scenario 2: Adelina does subpar - validate people who have been doubting her - BAD

Well, the worlds is in Japan and Japan has three amazing female skaters.

Spinerette

On the Ice
Do we know whether Adelina skipped due to her own decision or was it the Fed that made her pull out? We don't know so we can't speculate whether she's cowardly or otherwise.

Of course the federation made her decision, they're the ones who cooked that gold for her. Now they must cover up their bad cooking.

Spinerette

On the Ice
What's sad is that the decision was probably not up to her. We sometimes see public outrage against seeming injustice by USFS's decisions - like the decision to send Ashley instead of Mirai. With Adelina and her federation, nothing is transparent and nobody knows who makes the call. Her coach's post-event interview sums it up succinctly: "We won."

Some people call fanatical Yuna/Mao fans "Yuna fans," "Maobots," pejoratively. With Adelina, I hesitate to call her fans "Sotnikobots" because I know they are not really her fans. Adelina is quite disposable to them because their interest is elsewhere. That was the case before the ladies event and it will be the case once again if and when Adelina is dumped by her federation. Keep an eye on who they are.

I don't recall Adelina having too many fans before winning the fool's gold. Of course Yuna and Mao had all the fanatics. That does tell you something about her skating though. Even Julia has more fans not that Adelina is a bad skater. She's actually very good but that judging panel they made a fool out of her performance by giving her that tremendous score. They probably shortened her career too.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ha, do you really think Yulia has more determination? If Yulia won with a score of 153 which she probably would have if she never fell, she wouldn't be going to worlds either. This scandal was never really about Adelina. It was about Putin and putting money in Sochi and wanting gold because he put money into building Sochi. Adelina just happens to be the accessory-the puppet.

I don't think even Putin could keep Yulia from skating at worlds had she won. I feel like you're just trolling though based on your recent posts but in the case you are sincere...I really do think Yulia has more determination. It's just an opinion.

Spinerette

On the Ice
I don't think even Putin could keep Yulia from skating at worlds had she won. I feel like you're just trolling though based on your recent posts but in the case you are sincere...I really do think Yulia has more determination. It's just an opinion.

I think Adelina is just as determined as Julia. Julia did fall twice remember? I'm sure Adelina was told not to skate. It was a good decision for her. If she is allowed to come back she should get a better choreographer but I don't even think that's an option.

usethis2

Medalist
I don't recall Adelina having too many fans before winning the fool's gold. Of course Yuna and Mao had all the fanatics. That does tell you something about her skating though. Even Julia has more fans not that Adelina is a bad skater. She's actually very good but that judging panel they made a fool out of her performance by giving her that tremendous score. They probably shortened her career too.

Imagine my shock after the ladies event when all those parasitic "fans" wiggled out suddenly. I thought I was Adelina's fan!

Spinerette

On the Ice
Imagine my shock after the ladies event when all those parasitic "fans" wiggled out suddenly. I thought I was Adelina's fan!

And I think this scandal made some people into Yuna fans and Mao fans. And of course some even became Adelina fans.

usethis2

Medalist

I haven't seen anyone posting in Adelina cheer thread for a long time. No one makes a thread analyzing the beauty of her skate. No one makes a prediction thread how her next journey is going to be. (not by those who defend her gold medal in Sochi)

But they sure as heck are interested in Yuna/Mao threads. It's pervert.

P.S. Here is Adelina thread. Created by Mrs. P on 10/28/2013. 4 pages long. :rolleye:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?38493-Adelina-Sotnikova&highlight=adelina

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Adelina is just as determined as Julia. Julia did fall twice remember? I'm sure Adelina was told not to skate. It was a good decision for her. If she is allowed to come back she should get a better choreographer but I don't even think that's an option.

I guess by determination I was taking the context of the thread into consideration and not necessarily going for a on ice comparison. I think Yulia is more in control of her future and has been all along. I agree Adelina is somewhat of a pawn but Yulia was as some of my Russian friends say " an unexpected child". This was supposed to be Adelina and Liza right. Yulia made it in spite of the federation's constant propping up of Adelina and in spite of a lot of criticism. Like I said its just an opinion and I like Adelina all the same. I just like Yulia more and feel like she would bite your hand before letting you tell her what music to put in the CD player.