Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And I think this scandal made some people into Yuna fans and Mao fans. And of course some even became Adelina fans.

How would one not be a Yuna fan? Wouldn't that mean you just don't like figure skating. Yuna has one of the most beautiful personalities and skates like a gentle breeze. Are there really people who don't like Yuna and actually mean it?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Good lord. This is clearly yet another veiled attempt to criticize Sotnikova. As pointed out, if she loses people will say told you so, if she wins people will still refer back to Sochi.

She's got nothing to prove to people and skipping worlds is her prerogative.

christiannnw

Spectator
Imagine my shock after the ladies event when all those parasitic "fans" wiggled out suddenly. I thought I was Adelina's fan!

I've been a fan of Adelina's for the past few years, particularly regarding her athleticism and charisma on the ice. Sure, she's always felt a bit unrefined (which should be expected of any 14-17 year old competing under COP) and her programs have been clunky the past two years, but she tackles her performances with an abandon that, when coupled even with an almost perfect technical performance, can feel like magic. But I was never totally convinced until she won the free skate with a clean performance at TEB last fall that she is quite special, and I look forward to seeing her development in the years to come.

Also, I did relish in her OGM a bit thanks to a Youtube comment I made a few years ago. I'll have to fish out the video, but I commented on a performance of hers saying that she has enormous potential and should be someone to watch out for in Sochi; naturally, I was pilloried by several commenters who deemed my logic ludicrous, but here we are!

wootie

Match Penalty
I've been a fan of Adelina's for the past few years, particularly regarding her athleticism and charisma on the ice. Sure, she's always felt a bit unrefined (which should be expected of any 14-17 year old competing under COP) and her programs have been clunky the past two years, but she tackles her performances with an abandon that, when coupled even with an almost perfect technical performance, can feel like magic. But I was never totally convinced until she won the free skate with a clean performance at TEB last fall that she is quite special, and I look forward to seeing her development in the years to come.

Also, I did relish in her OGM a bit thanks to a Youtube comment I made a few years ago. I'll have to fish out the video, but I commented on a performance of hers saying that she has enormous potential and should be someone to watch out for in Sochi; naturally, I was pilloried by several commenters who deemed my logic ludicrous, but here we are!

We're here courtesy of corrupt judging. Here we are, indeed!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
How would one not be a Yuna fan? Wouldn't that mean you just don't like figure skating. Yuna has one of the most beautiful personalities and skates like a gentle breeze. Are there really people who don't like Yuna and actually mean it?

Excuse me, but I've never liked Yuna. This does not make me stupid or any less of a fan of skating. It just makes me not a fan of Yuna. (I'm not a fan of Mao, either.)

There you go, rip me to shreds all you like, it will only serve to reinforce my view of her fans.

wootie

Match Penalty
Excuse me, but I've never liked Yuna. This does not make me stupid or any less of a fan of skating. It just makes me not a fan of Yuna. (I'm not a fan of Mao, either.)

There you go, rip me to shreds all you like, it will only serve to reinforce my view of her fans.

No, you're completely entitled to not like Yuna or Mao. Different strokes for different folks. Some people prefer the more athletic type (like Adelina or Surya). Some prefer the more beautiful skaters (like Yuna, Mao or Carolina). It's a matter of preference.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

That's fine. It's just baffles the mind. You are free to dislike everything you possibly can. Have fun.

sk8in

Match Penalty
She will now go down in history as one of the most controversial OGMs in history. Considering her lack of technique, she will probably not be able to perform at that level again. With all the young Russian skaters coming up she will probably compete next year, get mediocre results, and then bow out. It was probably a wise decision for her personally---because no matter how she performed at Worlds, the contrast in scoring would make her gold medal more questionable. That said, it is bad for the sport, because it means we will never truly resolve what happened with the judges in Sochi.

Glen Parry

Rinkside
Personally, whilst I wish we could see all of the Olympic finalists again, I know we don't always get what we wish for in life.

Now, as has been commented up thread, it isn't that rare for Olympic gold medalists to skip the World Championships, in the immediate aftermath, without too much in the way of criticism,so why should Adelina be held to different standards? She's still listed as a substitute, so there's still a slim chance she might take part, we'll just have to wait and see on that point I guess. BTW. I should think the lass is hardly encouraged to attend Worlds when she's receiving threats from Yuna's more fanatical fans, as to what will happen to her if she does go to Japan (I should stress that these people are highly unlikely to be the least bit interested in skating), simply for posting a photo of her hugging her dad on her Instagram page, wouldn't you agree?

On the subject of taste, and at risk of being declared a traitor, & sent to the Tower for a terminal hair cut. Many hold that Torvill & Dean's "Bolero" routine was the greatest ice dance performance ever, whilst I never really liked it; I preferered Karen Barber & Nicky Slater's performances, amongst the Brits & always had a soft spot for Bestemanova & Bukhin (I also thought it disgusting the way that Torvill & Dean were allowed to return to amateur competition when their ice skating show wasn't the big success they tought it would be.). Does that mean I also get to be counted, by at least one poster, as a "pervert", along with Adelina's fans? ;)

jyj822

Spectator
Well, IMO, with respect to "Adelina's benefit", the decision of skipping 2014 Worlds is a wise one.

Of course, the people, who are continously doubting about her OGM in Sochi, will continue their complaints. However, she has too many hurdles to overcome for proving her fairness of her OGM at worlds.

First, after olympics, she has no time for re-storing her ability for showing great performance at worlds, as good as that of Sochi.
Furthermore, the situation will be really different from that of Sochi, especially about the construction of members of judges. ;)
In addition, the pressure, that she should bear, especially about clean or great performances, will be the greatest barrier for her game at world, which might be the same in the first game after Sochi.

Therefore, the delay of her next game might be the best choices that she and Russian Figure skating federations can make.

p.s.) Whenever will be Adelina's next game, the curious and nick-picking viewpoints of tremendous numbers of people will follow her and she need to bear those things and the pressure she must carry as an carrier of OGM, which might be much more heavier than her ability.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
To be honest, I was more of Mao's fan than Yuna's fan. I only started like Yuna around last year's worlds, by looking at how she came back so strong. I appreciate Yuna's mental strength more than her staking I guess.
And if we want to predict any future of Adelina, it is too early. She is only 17, and she can legitimately compete two more Olympics. I like her complicated foot steps (which is probably inspired by Mao), full of highs and lows and physically challenging too. Most of the top ten ladies would be just exhausted by performing the step sequences she does. Her problem is, the choreography is the opposite of being pretty.

gmyers

Record Breaker
No and her gold will be stripped by worlds - she will lose the title and retire.yuna will get gold and kostner silver and gold will bronze

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That's fine. It's just baffles the mind. You are free to dislike everything you possibly can. Have fun.

Nope, you don't get out of it that easily. This is what you said:

How would one not be a Yuna fan? Wouldn't that mean you just don't like figure skating.

I love figure skating very much. I love many skaters. But I don't like Yuna, and according to you, that means I don't like figure skating. Which is very untrue and patently ridiculous, and as I said, only serves to reinforce my view of Yuna's fans.

Mafke

Medalist
1988 was the last time that oly champs (en masse) took the trouble to show up to worlds. So skipping the event isn't that surprising. We'll see what the coming season holds.

I think she's a likeable competitor and a potentially great skater who might suffer from premature over-appreciation by judges (for whatever reason).
The judges in Sochi effectively gave her the title before the last skater skated which is either unprofessional and/or dishonest.
She'll always have a career in Russia but I don't see her winning the hearts of NAmerican or Asian (or non-Soviet European) audiences without a few more impressive performances under her belt.
Everybody loved Slute for years of impressive performances and a gutsy comeback (actually two). Nobody much longs to see Sarah Hughes ever again.
Which will Sotnikova resemble more? Or will she carve out a new path?

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Ha, do you really think Yulia has more determination? If Yulia won with a score of 153 which she probably would have if she never fell, she wouldn't be going to worlds either. This scandal was never really about Adelina. It was about Putin and putting money in Sochi and wanting gold because he put money into building Sochi. Adelina just happens to be the accessory-the puppet.

I'm sorry but isn't that kind of funny because Adelina's character in LP was somewhat a puppet. XD Not hating on her tho.

Flaya

Match Penalty
I think it's not a bad decision. Mao will want to win at home. These are the last championships for Mao and Carolina (as far as we know).

So Adelina could come back next year and fight it out with Yulia and Kanako...maybe some newbie will join the fight as well.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

I love figure skating very much. I love many skaters. But I don't like Yuna, and according to you, that means I don't like figure skating. Which is very untrue and patently ridiculous, and as I said, only serves to reinforce my view of Yuna's fans.

I think of it as the Picasso effect. You can go into a museum and look at a Picasso painting. You can admire the talent (the man was a genius who discovered the first new way to depict three dimensional objects on two dimensional canvas since the use of perspective in the Renaissance). But that doesn't necessarily mean you want one of his paintings hanging over the sofa.

I admire Kim's talent and perseverance. But that doesn't translate to considering myself a fan. Admirer, yes. But fandom is something completely different. And I have to agree with karne here. I may not "love" Picasso's paintings as a whole, but that doesn't mean, to paraphrase Sam-Skwantch, that I just don't like painting.

A little perspective, so to speak, is a very healthy thing

;)

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
The only good thing I see from this is that she'll have time to rest and prepare for the next competition. Olympics is very tiring, both physically and mentally. Yulia was used 4 times in the Olympics and will compete tho. So Idk what Adelina's reason is. This kind of conflicts with her goal of "every gold out there". I'm guessing her fed stopped her because they know she won't get the same scores and her Flutz, underrorations and full blade take-offs will be called (I hope) by Shin Amano (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm pretty sure her level4 step sequence will go down to level3 to where it belongs.

Whether she go or not, people will always have something bad to say about her. This is just one of the things why I hate what happened in the Olympics. They ruined this girl's reputation for the sake of one freaking gold medal. I bet she would be happier with Bronze in the long run instead of a tainted Gold medal.

Manitou

Medalist
I guess it was logical and expected. It's appears to be a pattern for Olympic GMs to let go after the games. I never won an OGM (lol) so I don't know the state of mind after you win it, but can imagine it's kind of what you do. Simply let go and celebrate.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Hyperbole (/haɪˈpɜrbəliː/ hy-pur-bə-lee;[1] Greek: ὑπερβολή hyperbolē, "exaggeration") is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.

For some reason yesterday after I posted in a different thread that I would always remember Yulia's team skate and that she won the hearts of everyone(again see definition above). You posted this completely unprovoked and out of left field(not literally) response telling me how bad my favorite skater was.

If tiny jumps that won't survive growth, a horrible flutz, and a terrible 2A, along with a complete lack of musicality, and trying to pass off ridiculous flexibility as artistry, is a reason to tune in, then of course I'll tune out.

So ya see...you're the one attacking people's perogative to like or dislike who they want. I don't go around telling people they have to like or not like and criticize their preferences unprovoked. To be honest, no..I can't think of a single reason a fan of this sport wouldn't like Yuna. So what...it's an opinion. It's like saying"you don't like pie...you must not like America". So I'll reiterate that you are free to dislike whatever you want. I honestly don't think people care but yes it baffles my mind and seems no different than not liking puppies...I'm sure someone,maybe you even, doesn't like puppies. http://www.widephotos.com/hd-wallpapers/cute-puppies/