Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds? | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds?

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
too bad i don't understand russian, I remember adelina being mad and even bullying yulia during practice at sochi olympics, wonder what she is saying.

Only pleasant things.

And it was definitely her.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
too bad i don't understand russian, I remember adelina being mad and even bullying yulia during practice at sochi olympics, wonder what she is saying.

Before: god bless her. After: At-a-girl, concentrated, did all elements... I feel for our girls as I cannot be there unfortunately (after a pause) or fortunately. I am glad that she could concentrate despite she spent so many emotions at Olympics. She did it good at SP - now do it the same at FS.

Anastasi14

On the Ice

Adelina was a very nice commentator. She said only good things about Julia. She also said a lot of good and pleasent things about Mao and Carolina! She was really happy that Mao won. If you are interested i can translate what she exactly said.

jcsamex

Rinkside
Adelina was a very nice commentator. She said only good things about Julia. She also said a lot of good and pleasent things about Mao and Carolina! She was really happy that Mao won. If you are interested i can translate what she exactly said.

Oh please do!

evangeline

Record Breaker
I remember adelina being mad and even bullying yulia during practice at sochi olympics,

:rolleye:

Adelina was mad at her federation for not picking her to skate for Russia in the team event. I've heard no indications that she was mad at Julia or bullied her at all--why would she? Everyone is watching during the practices at an Olympic event.

leafygreens

Final Flight
Adelina will be remembered as a "flash in the pan" with a politically arranged fraudulent OGM. She is a victim. In fair circumstances she would have won a deserved OSM and gone on to compete with an intact reputation to win more competitions for a good career. As it is, her reputation is damaged and the pressure on her will be debilitating. Worst of all, this situation has hurt figure skating.

Yes.

YLFan

Match Penalty
Personally I think its a manufactured controversy. Even if she had finished a couple points below Yuna, its still a big case of stepping up and a big achievement most didn't expect. Its like a lesser star player having a huge game in the Super Bowl.

I don't see much bashing of Kostner for scoring light years higher in the Olympics than she ever had. Just like Adelina she stepped up at the right moment in time.

So I don't know why people then would expect Adelina to win all other competitions. Shes basically like the Rus equivalent of Gracie Gold. Good but not great.

And then the haters are looking for her to not do great in a competition and say, see she is a sham. Its a really twisted logic.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Welcome aboard. I appreciate your thoughts and totally agree. :rock:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Adelina will be remembered as a "flash in the pan" with a politically arranged fraudulent OGM. She is a victim. In fair circumstances she would have won a deserved OSM and gone on to compete with an intact reputation to win more competitions for a good career. As it is, her reputation is damaged and the pressure on her will be debilitating. Worst of all, this situation has hurt figure skating.

Reputations are damaged only by those who see it that way. People aren't even giving her a chance to compete next season to see if she really was a "flash in the pan" or had something more in her, and are immediately dismissing her because she skipped Worlds. I hope she comes back next season, does well, and you all eat your words. And whether or not she is a flash in the pan, she was worthy of an Olympic medal in the individual event which is more than many other skaters have achieved.

She's only had 3 senior seasons, and got it together at the Olympics. Yes she was propped into the gold medal position but that doesn't negate the fact that she gave two very strong performances. Those performances were world class and would have won any of Worlds 2012, 2011, 2010, even without the home ice inflation and technical deductions properly called.

People need to stop whining that Sotnikova didn't show up at Worlds (and likely end up behind Mao), thus denying them the ammunition to bash her further about the Sochi results. :rolleye:

Anastasi14

On the Ice
Oh please do!

Adelina seems to be a very nice and kind girl. She say a lot of good things about girls. I translated some her comments during the SP. Sorry for my bad English and my mistakes.

Julia’s SP:
Adelina: "God bless!" Then Adelina was silent till the final pose.¨Then: "Well done! She braced herself and did all the elements. I still can not get over, i'm worrying, I cheer for all our girls. Because I can't be there, unfortunately.......or fortunately. I'm very happy for her. She pulled everything all together despite the fact she spended so many emotions at the Olympics. And here she did her SP very good. She needs to do so at the FS." Commenting on video-repeats: "3L-3T - without any claim (perfectly), L-T was great, the 2A was great, flip, which she didn't do at the Olympics in SP, was very good. She found strength and did everything."

Anna’s SP:
Commentator: “I wish Anna to skate how she can!” Adelina: "And everyone knows how she can!" Then she was silent till the final pose. Then: "Hurrah! She did everything that was planed, all the elements, well done! You can see, how happy is Anna. Finally first clean 3L-3T (i think they meant first at this championship). She will be definately first for now. She did all the jumps, was emotional, everything was good." Adelina pointed on the good length of the jumps. "There was a slight slope on the loop but this didn't stop her from making a good exit. She finally did the 2a, she didn't do it at the GP." Commentator when Anna saw the marks: "Look how collected is Anna, she is analyzing. Adelina: "She is always like this")

Carolina's SP:
Adelina: "Oh i'm so worrying about this warm-up! I especially cheer for Mao and Carolina! You can say what you want but i cheer for them)) She skates to this music just divine! You just can't put it into words!" After the first combo Adelina just whispers: "Well done. She complicated her combo too. She jumped it at Olimpics too." After 3lo again just whispering: "Well done. You can't put into words how she feels the music. She always feels the music and emphasizes all accents. Each her performance is like a little spectacle." After the last jump: "She did everything that she needed, now you can just enjoy and rejoice. I have no words, it's impossible to comment! Awesome skating! Look the whole Japan is standing. Respect to Japan, they cheer for everyone." Adelina says that for interpretation Carolina deserves 10.

Mao's SP:
At the beginning they discuss Adelina's exams, she passed two years (10-11 grades) in one year.
Adelina: "I worry about Mao a lot. I hope she will take the right decision (do or not to do a 3A). God bless!" After 3A - "well done. She haven’t jumped it so for a long time. What to say, she is a fighter. You want to look at her. 3+2 but she did 3A. She has has plastique and skating and elements and she expresses the music - goose bumps. It's a skating of the champion." Commentator said that Adelina won over Mao at Olympics, Adelina wanted to say something, she began with "but..." and he stoped her. She then said that she has nothing to add, and Mao's performance was just magical. "I loved it. When you watch her skating you rejoice.Everything is clean and good." Adelina try to imagine what you can recive if you will jump 3A 3L-3T and 3F. Commented on marks: "обалдеть" (In English = to lose her wits / be stunned/struck with surprise)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Shes basically like the Rus equivalent of Gracie Gold. Good but not great.

If that is your view then you explain yourself why the Olympic result is such a big controversy. "good but not great" skater should never be beating a clean Kim and Kostner, and with mistakes to boot. That this oh so coincidentally happened in her home country, with Putin in the crowd, 2 of the 3 of the callers ex Soviet, and Shekhovtseva and Balkov on the panel, and you do the math to why this is such a large controversy that wont be forgotten ever in the sport probably.

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
If that is your view then you explain yourself why the Olympic result is such a big controversy. "good but not great" skater should never be beating a clean Kim and Kostner, and with mistakes to boot. That this oh so coincidentally happened in her home country, with Putin in the crowd, 2 of the 3 of the callers ex Soviet, and Shekhovtseva and Balkov on the panel, and you do the math to why this is such a large controversy that wont be forgotten ever in the sport probably.

What is the deal with your obsessive need to bring Putin and ex-Soviets into every thread that mentions Adelina?

anyanka

Record Breaker
I see that Adelina has been added to the Japan SOI tour. I'm guessing that will certainly be a huge paycheck given how sold-out that tour will be.

YLFan

Match Penalty
Because its the Western Neoleft people that mainly dislike Russia and were hoping hard for the Rus skaters to falter out of some odd logic that if they failed this hurt Putin.