Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds?

Custom Title
    To be honest, I was more of Mao's fan than Yuna's fan. I only started like Yuna around last year's worlds, by looking at how she came back so strong. I appreciate Yuna's mental strength more than her staking I guess.
    And if we want to predict any future of Adelina, it is too early. She is only 17, and she can legitimately compete two more Olympics. I like her complicated foot steps (which is probably inspired by Mao), full of highs and lows and physically challenging too. Most of the top ten ladies would be just exhausted by performing the step sequences she does. Her problem is, the choreography is the opposite of being pretty.

Custom Title
    No and her gold will be stripped by worlds - she will lose the title and retire.yuna will get gold and kostner silver and gold will bronze

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    That's fine. It's just baffles the mind. You are free to dislike everything you possibly can. Have fun.
    Nope, you don't get out of it that easily. This is what you said:

How would one not be a Yuna fan? Wouldn't that mean you just don't like figure skating.
    I love figure skating very much. I love many skaters. But I don't like Yuna, and according to you, that means I don't like figure skating. Which is very untrue and patently ridiculous, and as I said, only serves to reinforce my view of Yuna's fans.

1988 was the last time that oly champs (en masse) took the trouble to show up to worlds. So skipping the event isn't that surprising. We'll see what the coming season holds.

I think she's a likeable competitor and a potentially great skater who might suffer from premature over-appreciation by judges (for whatever reason).
    The judges in Sochi effectively gave her the title before the last skater skated which is either unprofessional and/or dishonest.
    She'll always have a career in Russia but I don't see her winning the hearts of NAmerican or Asian (or non-Soviet European) audiences without a few more impressive performances under her belt.
    Everybody loved Slute for years of impressive performances and a gutsy comeback (actually two). Nobody much longs to see Sarah Hughes ever again.
    Which will Sotnikova resemble more? Or will she carve out a new path?

Quote Originally Posted by Spinerette View Post
    Ha, do you really think Yulia has more determination? If Yulia won with a score of 153 which she probably would have if she never fell, she wouldn't be going to worlds either. This scandal was never really about Adelina. It was about Putin and putting money in Sochi and wanting gold because he put money into building Sochi. Adelina just happens to be the accessory-the puppet.
    I'm sorry but isn't that kind of funny because Adelina's character in LP was somewhat a puppet. XD Not hating on her tho.

On the Ice
    I think it's not a bad decision. Mao will want to win at home. These are the last championships for Mao and Carolina (as far as we know).

So Adelina could come back next year and fight it out with Yulia and Kanako...maybe some newbie will join the fight as well.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post

I love figure skating very much. I love many skaters. But I don't like Yuna, and according to you, that means I don't like figure skating. Which is very untrue and patently ridiculous, and as I said, only serves to reinforce my view of Yuna's fans.

I think of it as the Picasso effect. You can go into a museum and look at a Picasso painting. You can admire the talent (the man was a genius who discovered the first new way to depict three dimensional objects on two dimensional canvas since the use of perspective in the Renaissance). But that doesn't necessarily mean you want one of his paintings hanging over the sofa.

I admire Kim's talent and perseverance. But that doesn't translate to considering myself a fan. Admirer, yes. But fandom is something completely different. And I have to agree with karne here. I may not "love" Picasso's paintings as a whole, but that doesn't mean, to paraphrase Sam-Skwantch, that I just don't like painting.

A little perspective, so to speak, is a very healthy thing

The only good thing I see from this is that she'll have time to rest and prepare for the next competition. Olympics is very tiring, both physically and mentally. Yulia was used 4 times in the Olympics and will compete tho. So Idk what Adelina's reason is. This kind of conflicts with her goal of "every gold out there". I'm guessing her fed stopped her because they know she won't get the same scores and her Flutz, underrorations and full blade take-offs will be called (I hope) by Shin Amano (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm pretty sure her level4 step sequence will go down to level3 to where it belongs.

Whether she go or not, people will always have something bad to say about her. This is just one of the things why I hate what happened in the Olympics. They ruined this girl's reputation for the sake of one freaking gold medal. I bet she would be happier with Bronze in the long run instead of a tainted Gold medal.

Custom Title
    I guess it was logical and expected. It's appears to be a pattern for Olympic GMs to let go after the games. I never won an OGM (lol) so I don't know the state of mind after you win it, but can imagine it's kind of what you do. Simply let go and celebrate.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar

Hyperbole (/haɪˈpɜrbəliː/ hy-pur-bə-lee;[1] Greek: ὑπερβολή hyperbolē, "exaggeration") is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.

For some reason yesterday after I posted in a different thread that I would always remember Yulia's team skate and that she won the hearts of everyone(again see definition above). You posted this completely unprovoked and out of left field(not literally) response telling me how bad my favorite skater was.

If tiny jumps that won't survive growth, a horrible flutz, and a terrible 2A, along with a complete lack of musicality, and trying to pass off ridiculous flexibility as artistry, is a reason to tune in, then of course I'll tune out.
    So ya see...you're the one attacking people's perogative to like or dislike who they want. I don't go around telling people they have to like or not like and criticize their preferences unprovoked. To be honest, no..I can't think of a single reason a fan of this sport wouldn't like Yuna. So what...it's an opinion. It's like saying"you don't like pie...you must not like America". So I'll reiterate that you are free to dislike whatever you want. I honestly don't think people care but yes it baffles my mind and seems no different than not liking puppies...I'm sure someone,maybe you even, doesn't like puppies. http://www.widephotos.com/hd-wallpapers/cute-puppies/

Custom Title
    Hyperbole (/haɪˈpɜrbəliː/ hy-pur-bə-lee;[1] Greek: ὑπερβολή hyperbolē, "exaggeration") is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.

For some reason yesterday after I posted in a different thread that I would always remember Yulia's team skate and that she won the hearts of everyone(again see definition above). You posted this completely unprovoked and out of left field(not literally) response telling me how bad my favorite skater was.

So ya see...you're the one attacking people's perogative to like or dislike who they want. I don't go around telling people they have to like or not like anyone but to be honest I can't think of a single reason a fan of this sport wouldn't like Yuna. So what...it's an opinion. It's like saying"you don't like pie...you must not like America". So I'll reiterate that you are free to dislike whatever you want. I honestly don't think people care but yes it baffles my mind and seems no different than not liking puppies...I'm sure someone,maybe you even, doesn't like puppies. http://www.widephotos.com/hd-wallpapers/cute-puppies/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_gust...st_disputandum

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    ^My point exactly. Thank you. To each his/her own and to them should be granted tolerance.

Custom Title
    Incorrect. After saying that Yulia won everyone's hearts, I objected. You then answered me that Yulia was a reason to watch in this quad and that if I didn't think so you didn't understand how I could like skating and expected me to fade away. Thus, I responded with my reasons for why I am not a fan of Yulia.

To be honest, no..I can't think of a single reason a fan of this sport wouldn't like Yuna.
    I can. Do I wish to share them? There's no point. I've already established that the Yuna fans are unbalanced enough to abuse and harass a seventeen year old girl because she dared to beat their golden queen; I won't bother stirring their ire with my opinion, which, since it does not coincide with theirs, is evidently wrong.

Custom Title
    This thread is so ridiculous, yet another pointless thread made to bash Sotnikova. This bashing is really getting sad and desperate.

The reigning OGM NOT going to the immediate post-Olympics Worlds is actually quite normal. With all the press attention, etc. that comes from being the new Olympic champion, Adelina most likely didn't have time to train properly--it says nothing about Adelina as a competitor. Let's see the records of the past few ladies Olympic champions:

Yu-Na Kim, 2010: Went to Worlds
    Shizuka Arakawa, 2006: Did not go
    Sarah Hughes, 2002: Did not go
    Tara Lipinski, 1998: Did not go
    Oksana Baiul, 1994: Did not go
    Kristi Yamaguchi, 1992: Went to Worlds

Or what about the pairs Olympic champions?
    Shen/Zhao, 2010: Did not go
    Totmianina/Marinin, 2006: Did not go
    Berezhnaya/Sikharudlize, 2002: Did not go
    Sale/Pelletier, 2002: Did not go
    Kazakova/Dmitriev, 1998: Did not go
    Gordeeva/Grinkov, 1994: Did not go
    Mishkutenok/Dmtriev, 1992: Went to Worlds

Is anyone going to doubt Meryl and Charlie as competitors because they aren't going to 2014 Worlds?

Custom Title
    I can. Do I wish to share them? There's no point. I've already established that the Yuna fans are unbalanced enough to abuse and harass a seventeen year old girl because she dared to beat their golden queen; I won't bother stirring their ire with my opinion, which, since it does not coincide with theirs, is evidently wrong.
    Seem like you don't like Yuna because of her fans? Fine, up to you

It's always surpried me about a strong contrast between Yuna and her fans. She is a very very shy girl, kind of introvert personality, but her legion of fans is the most enthusiasm in FS ever, they love her like crazy and somehow acting insane, totally out of control

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast