Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds?

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
I♥Yuna;885275 said:
I also think it was a good decision on many levels. I think it's smart to get some rest, and take advantage of any contracts that come her way (like w/nike, wheaties, things like that), because athletic careers can be short, unpredictable, and costly, no matter what sport you're in, you have to keep the bigger picture in mind (financial security and whatnot). And doing all that after the Olympics can be tiring, too, so rest is important. Last but not least is the criticism about her free skate - she needs to retire that program asap. Let it fade from the public concsiousness, and take that time to reflect on things, craft a new program, clean up some elements/invent new ones - all of this will help her stay ahead of the pack (because you know everyone will be upping their game next season. Everyone - including whoever wins worlds next month - is chasing Adelina).

I disagree that they're chasing Adelina. The Olympics is a competition held every four years. It may be the biggest/most well-known but there are always issues with the scoring when compared to marks received from any other panel. I would count more objective scores such as those received at WC, GPF, Euros, when held outside the skater's country as a more accurate measurement of their ability. It's also worth noting that this is the first and possibly only senior event Adelina has ever won. She may have put it together when it counted and snatched the Gold (aided by biased Tech and Judging panels) but I'll wait to see what she can come up with next time (in front of a less biased panel) before saying the others are chasing her.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Yuna never got near Olympic scores as well. (source wikipedia, I can't remember them all). That proves nothing.

Completely untrue. Yuna received 150.XX in the 2010 Olympics FS, right? That was with an extra element worth 3.XX that she received 2 points in GOE on. 5.XX points. Granted we have the ChSq to replace that but it was only worth 3.60 points at the WC (BV + GOE).

She received 148.34 at the 2013 World Championships. With a lower BV (by 3.XX points, and a changed element worth 1.XX points less than at the Olympics (so missing about 5 points) Yuna received a score only 2 points lower than her Olympic Yuna exceeded her own score if you add in even a poorly performed Spiral Sequence, let alone the amazing one she could do. Plus the GOE was scored differently now(lower) than it was then.

Yuna has never exceeded her SP score, as far as I know, but that is because the Spiral Sequence worth 5.40 points (BV + GOE) was removed from the SP, so there are TES points that are missing. Adding back that element and taking into accounted the changed GOE, Yuna would have replicated her score or come within a point of it several times. More so if she had competed more often.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Maybe she has lost some valuable trainng time post Sochi with interviews and some other obligations and did not train properly.

Alba

Record Breaker
Completely untrue. Yuna received 150.XX in the 2010 Olympics FS, right? That was with an extra element worth 3.XX that she received 2 points in GOE on. 5.XX points. Granted we have the ChSq to replace that but it was only worth 3.60 points at the WC (BV + GOE).

She received 148.34 at the 2013 World Championships. With a lower BV (by 3.XX points, and a changed element worth 1.XX points less than at the Olympics (so missing about 5 points) Yuna received a score only 2 points lower than her Olympic Yuna exceeded her own score if you add in even a poorly performed Spiral Sequence, let alone the amazing one she could do. Plus the GOE was scored differently now(lower) than it was then.

Yuna has never exceeded her SP score, as far as I know, but that is because the Spiral Sequence worth 5.40 points (BV + GOE) was removed from the SP, so there are TES points that are missing. Adding back that element and taking into accounted the changed GOE, Yuna would have replicated her score or come within a point of it several times. More so if she had competed more often.

Ok so at the 2013 Worlds she was near, the rest no. The reasons are not relevant in this case (lower BV, elements missing, 3Lz+3T done or not etc.,) because I was replying to this comment: "sotnikova will not get near olympic score in her future competitions ever."

As I said, going to Worlds now will prove absolutely nothing, because even Yuna didn't get those scores, for whatever reasons, and that still will not prove that that she was not the right winner.
I'm saying quite the same thing that you are actually. I was not trying to diminish Yuna but simply saying that it could happen the same to Sotnikova, for example.
She might not have the same technical difficult program, so she will not get the same marks. She might fall, might be a disaster, not skate at all well like in Sochi, or skate even better, in this World or in the coming years who knows? We could not use what might be or not in the future to prove that Sochi was right or wrong. That's my point.
It's not ok to compare Yuna with her previous performance, and rightly so, but it's ok to compare Adelina with her future performance that she hasn't even done yet?

leafygreens

Final Flight
Is anyone going to doubt Meryl and Charlie as competitors because they aren't going to 2014 Worlds? :rolleye:

Ridiculous, Meryl and Charlie have won world's twice and have been 1st or 2nd in everything for four years. They have nothing to prove to anyone.

Plus, going to worlds would interfere with Meryl and Charlie;s gig on Dancing with the Stars. :)

Nadya

On the Ice
Oh, it's wise for her to skip worlds.

And I can absolutely bet that the Russians don't see any controversy at all in the Sochi results. They think Adelina's win is entirely justified. And just think, if Yulia hadn't fallen, they would have finished first and second, without a doubt.

Actually, you're wrong, many in Russia think Carolina should have been second and Yuna third.

Selene

On the Ice
I think it was wise of her to skip Worlds. She was skating in shows and not training for the event.

Plus, her scores were bound to deflate from her massive overscoring at the Olympics, bringing more controversy to her win. Even if she skated as well as she did at the Olympics, she wouldn't get the same scores. The opening combo in her FS was a major flutz on the first jump and badly UR on the second jump. It was criminal that she received full credit for that combo, with massive GOE, along with a level 4 on her step sequence, etc.

Plisskin

Medalist
I think it was wise of her to skip Worlds. She was skating in shows and not training for the event.

Plus, her scores were bound to deflate from her massive overscoring at the Olympics, bringing more controversy to her win. Even if she skated as well as she did at the Olympics, she wouldn't get the same scores. The opening combo in her FS was a major flutz on the first jump and badly UR on the second jump. It was criminal that she received full credit for that combo, with massive GOE, along with a level 4 on her step sequence, etc.
I completely agree. I was just about to type the exact same thing but I saw your comment, lol

Rhodium

On the Ice
Oh, it's wise for her to skip worlds.

And I can absolutely bet that the Russians don't see any controversy at all in the Sochi results. They think Adelina's win is entirely justified. And just think, if Yulia hadn't fallen, they would have finished first and second, without a doubt.

I am a blatant Russian nationalist and voted for Putin, but Adelina's score in FS was a shock to me and my friend. I think she did not deserve OGM just as Nationals first place. Maybe because I do not like her program. When I convinced everybody that her score was ridiculous they reminded me about Slutskaya at SLC :think:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am a blatant Russian nationalist and voted for Putin, but Adelina's score in FS was a shock to me and my friend. I think she did not deserve OGM just as Nationals first place. Maybe because I do not like her program. When I convinced everybody that her score was ridiculous they reminded me about Slutskaya at SLC :think:

^^THIS!!! I absolutely agree.

I spent Christmas weekend :bang::bang::bang::bang:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sotnikova and Lipnitskaya both had a mistake at Nationals. Sotnikova one in the long and Julia one in the short. The event could have gone either way.

Yes. Four :bang: was a bit excessive but the difference for Adelina's step out in FS was less than Yulia's in the SP for some reason. Yulia should have won the FS by at least the same margin as Adelina won the SP. Plus in my completely unbiased :no: view Yulia's was way less disruptive. I agree it could have gone either way but it went the wrong way. That is the correct opinion.

winky97

Medalist
@winky97: Again, what does it proves if she goes there and win? If the judges are so corrupt as most of you think, they might as well confirm the same marks to settle down the controversy, so what? Is that going to prove anything in regards with Sochi?!
I really don't understand why people expect the Worlds to prove or disprove Sochi.[/QUOTE]

I never said that all of the judges in FS were corrupt and don't believe that to be the case. I do think that in both the SP and LP there were a couple of judges and/or technical judges who gave Adelina higher marks and other skaters lower marks than warranted. I have questioned other results in the past, but this one annoys me more because of the highness of Adelina's scores. It does not take a whole panel of judges. All you need is a few buddies to sway the results and looking at the scores cards, it is easy to assume that is what happened, though with the secrecy of who the judges are we will never know for sure. If a judge does not want to viewed as shady, it might help to not be photographed hugged the winner of an event you just judged though.

Honestly, I did not expect Worlds to prove or disprove anything, though I believe it is highly likely that Adelina would be back in 9th place like she was last year, maybe 8th since Yuna Kim retired. That would help me be a little less disgusted with the Olympic results and perhaps get rid of some of Adelina's arrogance that I have seen in interviews. I will always believe Adelina to be the worst OGM in ladies figure skating ever. It cannot be disputed that Adelina did a junior level jump combination in the SP while all of the other ladies did harder combination jumps, yet she was scored higher than Kostner and almost tied with Kim, yet there was nothing wrong with the scoring? Adelina should have been at least 5 points behind Kim and Kostner and quite possibly in 4th place after the SP. I am not going to even touch on her lack of artistry or the issues with her long program. I find her skating to be ugly.

It is entirely possible that the judges could settle the controversy by doing similar scoring in Worlds for the junior level jump combination, the two footed landing, the flutz, and pull the make believe rope, but you would need the right panel for that, which is not guaranteed. She should and probably will take her OGM and run.

donezo

On the Ice
It is perhaps wise from a personal point of view, as she likely hasn't had time to properly train and probably wouldn't win even if she skated well. However, there will be hell to pay if the Russian ladies only qualify two spots again. I am not sure how much I trust Anna Pogorilaya.

donezo

On the Ice
Anna is actually far more consistent than any other Russian lady other than Julia. She is far more consistent than Sotnikova, although Sotnikova could bomb and probably still place top 10 so it wouldnt matter as far as 3 spots. Anna will have to skate well just to be top 10 but she pretty much always skates well. That is her strength.

I've only really been impressed with Pogorilaya once thus far, and that was mostly because everyone else at Cup of China was varying degrees of terrible. Is she getting her double axels off the ground now? I also think her PCS will hold her back. She was high-6's/low-7's in the Grand Prix Final, but she hasn't benefitted from the same Euros boost that Yulia and Adelina enjoyed. I'm just not expecting much from her at Worlds. If Yulia is top two though, Anna can afford a mistake or two.

usethis2

Medalist
@winky97: Again, what does it proves if she goes there and win? If the judges are so corrupt as most of you think, they might as well confirm the same marks to settle down the controversy, so what? Is that going to prove anything in regards with Sochi?!
I really don't understand why people expect the Worlds to prove or disprove Sochi.

There to me seems to be enough factors that interest fans about the state of judging. For example, if she replicate her Sochi performance will she receive edge calls? Same step sequence levels? Similar PCS?

It is not her performance (though that certainly helps), but judging is what people would pay attention to. Of course it is wise for her federation to not provide that opportunity. They will wait in the hope of people's fading memory and try to rewrite the history. Revisionism does occur in human history and it is our job not to stay silent, so that we might not repeat the same travesty.

In every day life, say, you would double-check if you feel like you were overcharged for goods you purchased, would you not? And if you feel like you were wronged you would seek compensation for yourself or punishment for the wrongdoers through the court or similar authorities. Should you stay silent and encourage others to do the same, on the ground that "nothing will change what already happened?"