Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 61 to 72 of 72

Thread: Malaysia Airlines MH370

  1. #61
    Custom Title CoyoteChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,374
    NBC broadcast news said that Boeing and another company did an in depth analyzing of the sat. data and determined that, using the principle of the Doppler effect, the only way the plane could have gone was south into the Indian Ocean. When Malaysia heard that, they changed their tune and announced an official crash, I guess. Maybe it was a political thing...maybe it was to comfort the relatives.....I am sorry for the relatives just as I am sorry for the relatives of all those people buried in the WA state mud slide. But I think I would have only said a crash is highly likely, and probably near the search zone. It is a sad situation. Like the plane that carried Cokey Robert's dad and some politicians that crashed in Alaska and was never found.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Apparently the Malaysian Prime Minister has just announced that according to the latest findings (a British satellite search was involved), the plane has in all likelihood crashed into the southern Indian Ocean, near Australia, and that all lives are lost.

  2. #62
    Custom Title CoyoteChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,374
    Fixed wing Flying is very safe (If one discounts the air quality and what is on those cups the flight attendant hands you after touching the rim) ...sometimes its hard to believe that a person can ride in a aluminum can and go over the north pole in safety, but its true....the danger is driving to the airport.
    Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom View Post
    Very sad though. After all this time. Not even give the victims' family a hard evidences. No closure no nothing. Since I'll be on my way to KL with MAS in a week, that is very sth to think about.

  3. #63
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Too Close to the Equator.
    Posts
    1,022
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Fixed wing Flying is very safe (If one discounts the air quality and what is on those cups the flight attendant hands you after touching the rim) ...sometimes its hard to believe that a person can ride in a aluminum can and go over the north pole in safety, but its true....the danger is driving to the airport.
    You had a point there, especially since I live in the second deadliest country for drivers according to TIME magazine.

    http://time.com/8950/this-is-the-abs...y-for-drivers/

  4. #64
    Custom Title CoyoteChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,374
    That is an interesting chart. It says at the bottom "Fatality rate per 100,000 population from road crashes" Not drivers...population...I would have thought that Thailand would have had a significant population of folk that didn't drive much if at all....Maybe you should stay off the roads! I hate to think what the figure in Thailand would be if only half the folk drove!
    Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom View Post
    You had a point there, especially since I live in the second deadliest country for drivers according to TIME magazine.

    http://time.com/8950/this-is-the-abs...y-for-drivers/

  5. #65
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Too Close to the Equator.
    Posts
    1,022
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    That is an interesting chart. It says at the bottom "Fatality rate per 100,000 population from road crashes" Not drivers...population...I would have thought that Thailand would have had a significant population of folk that didn't drive much if at all....Maybe you should stay off the roads! I hate to think what the figure in Thailand would be if only half the folk drove!
    The traffic is bad enough already as it is. If half of our population drove, Bangkok's traffic will definitely become my worst nightmare.

  6. #66
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,654
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Like the plane that carried Cokey Robert's dad and some politicians that crashed in Alaska and was never found.....
    In a very round about way, that crash led to my family moving up here in the early 70s. There's a conspiracy out there that the plan was shot down, but really the area that the plane went missing is known as a sort of "Alaskan Bermuda Triangle" and they have a good idea where it is, it's just unreachable. But they've been looking at another search since one of the politicians that died in the crash's son is now a US Senator (lousy one at that, but that's another rant for another day) and he wants answers.

  7. #67
    Custom Title CoyoteChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,374
    Plane crashes can be very tough to spot. Some of the planes I have watched crash just disinigrated into little pieces. If they crash into a treed mountain side, they are very tough to see from the air. Many planes don't have loads of Iron and steel in them so seeing a magnetic signature from far away is tough. Perhaps as technology improves in that reguard, more and more aircraft can be found. Even ones underwater.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    In a very round about way, that crash led to my family moving up here in the early 70s. There's a conspiracy out there that the plan was shot down, but really the area that the plane went missing is known as a sort of "Alaskan Bermuda Triangle" and they have a good idea where it is, it's just unreachable. But they've been looking at another search since one of the politicians that died in the crash's son is now a US Senator (lousy one at that, but that's another rant for another day) and he wants answers.

  8. #68
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,428
    Chris, thanks for your experienced input on this matter. I've learned a lot. I'm sorry it has to be under such sad circumstances, but it helps to know details such as these to think about the situation.

  9. #69
    Love popcorn, hate horrendous costumes. Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    2,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    strong currents likely carried the wreckage (it's been 3 weeks).
    They said it was likely crashed there, not that the wreckage was carried there, I suppose.

  10. #70
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,654
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Plane crashes can be very tough to spot. Some of the planes I have watched crash just disinigrated into little pieces. If they crash into a treed mountain side, they are very tough to see from the air. Many planes don't have loads of Iron and steel in them so seeing a magnetic signature from far away is tough. Perhaps as technology improves in that reguard, more and more aircraft can be found. Even ones underwater.
    Actually they believe that this particular plane is buried in snow and ice on one of the glaciers. They just found a WWII (or I? can't remember) plane in a glacier. Pretty crazy.

  11. #71
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,428
    I think it was indeed World War II, Toni. I base my guess on a half-remembered report and also on the fact that in World War I, there was just one front on which the U.S. fought: the European.

    One heartening aspect of this is the fact that, as with the tsunami some years ago, many countries are cooperating in the search. No matter how chaotic things get from time to time, this is generally a good thing.

    A heartbreaking week, between this and the awful landslide, and now the damage from the nor'easter on the east coast. Any fire that starts in this wind just devours the building(s), as has happened in Boston today. Not a day to watch or read the news.

  12. #72
    Custom Title CoyoteChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,374
    Funny story. My uncle flew a B-17 during WWII. On a mission to Germany, the plane was damaged so badly they tried to make Switzerland but the plane lost altitude and instead of crashing into the Alps, they bailed out...everybody landed safely and was captured and survived the war. In the 1990s, the glaciers receded and there was my uncle's plane, sitting, or what was left of it, on an Austrian Mountain. Plane enthusiasts went up there and brought back parts....My uncle Howard grabbed one of his sons and flew over there and a rich industrialist in Austria flew my uncle and his son over the crash site and showed them the parts back at his office. They my uncle took his son to Czechoslavakia where he flew secret missions and it seems the country is littered with B-17 wrecks from he war....
    Here is a movie of the industrialist, Wolfgang, recovering parts from My Uncle's plane...note you cant tell its a plane anymore...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixqSmZsOxH0

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Actually they believe that this particular plane is buried in snow and ice on one of the glaciers. They just found a WWII (or I? can't remember) plane in a glacier. Pretty crazy.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •