2014 Worlds Junior Pairs - Free skate | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds Junior Pairs - Free skate

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Maria & Egor Medaled. Yay!

Someone mentioned this was their only chance to medal at Junior Worlds. They'll move up to Senior and be eligible for the WC next year, right?

They did alright here, taking bronze. They also took bronze at the Senior Russian Championships behind S/K and B/L. I can't wait to see how they do next season.

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS FREE PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Xiaoyu YU / Yang JIN (CHN) - 173.77 Long Program
2. Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV (RUS) - 168.20 Long Program
3. Maria VIGALOVA / Egor ZAKROEV (RUS) - 152.48 Long Program
4. Vasilisa DAVANKOVA / Andrei DEPUTAT (RUS) - 150.67 Long Program
5. Madeline AARON / Max SETTLAGE (USA) - 144.91 Long Program
6. Mary ORR / Phelan SIMPSON (CAN) - 132.02 Long Program
7. Tara HANCHEROW / Wesley KILLING (CAN)128.68 Long Program
8. Alessandra CERNUSCHI / Filippo AMBROSINI (ITA) - 123.95 Long Program
9. Kaitlin BUDD / Nikita CHEBAN (USA)117.36 Long Program
10. Anna DUSKOVA / Martin BIDAR (CZE) - 113.85 Long Program
11. Aya TAKAI / Brian JOHNSON (USA) - 111.90 Long Program
12. Sumire SUTO / Konstantin CHIZHIKOV (JPN) - 107.41 Long Program, 2nd Copy
13. Julia LINCKH / Konrad HOCKER-SCHOLLER (GER) - 105.07 Long Program
14. Marin ONO / Hon Lam TO (HKG) - 103.41 Long Program
15. Ekaterina PRIBYLOVA / Jegors Nikita ADMIRALOVS (LAT) - 95.04 Long Program

Medal Ceremony

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Maria & Egor Medaled. Yay!

Someone mentioned this was their only chance to medal at Junior Worlds. They'll move up to Senior and be eligible for the WC next year, right?

They did alright here, taking bronze. They also took bronze at the Senior Russian Championships behind S/K and B/L. I can't wait to see how they do next season.

V/Z have to turn senior next season because Egor is aging out of juniors because of the new age rules to be implemented starting this coming 2014-15 season

Spots for 2015 Junior Worlds

Canada - 3
China - 3
Russia - 3
Czech Republic - 2
USA - 2 (miss 3 spots by one placement :/)

To answer my own question about why China only sent one pair, maybe nobody had the minimum scores? It's the result of the 'wonderful' policy of not sending your skaters anywhere, I guess. Unless the plan was to earn 3 spots for next year which was safest by having only Yu/Jin perform.

I don't get the Vigalova/Zakroev love. There is a huge height and size difference between them which helps on the pair elements but everything they do looks a little sloppy and unfinished. I guess there's potential there and they just need some polish although who knows what will happen to her during puberty. She's 14 and still looks like a child.

Can't tell if this is all sarcasm lol

I was being serious. Technically, 5th place was probably about right but I think that Aaron/Settlage deserved the highest PCS in both programs because their programs were skated on smooth edges, flowed very well and they had very strong postures and lines and their movement reflected the character of the music in both SP and FS.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Spots for 2015 Junior Worlds

I don't get the Vigalova/Zakroev love. There is a huge height and size difference between them which helps on the pair elements but everything they do looks a little sloppy and unfinished. I guess there's potential there and they just need some polish although who knows what will happen to her during puberty. She's 14 and still looks like a child.

I admit they definitely didn't put their best foot forward here but something about them just captures my attention. I don't really like their music, although the SP was quirky, or some bits of the choreography but I still enjoy watching them. The huge height difference and their interactions with each other remind me of a young G&G.

I don't watch junior skaters and I really wasn't watching skating at all other than occasionally seeing how Tessa & Scott and Patrick were doing because hey, I'm Canadian. But when I first saw Yulia's Romeo & Juliet from JW back in March 2012, my interest in FS was rekindled. I still wasn't able to enjoy watching anyone else skating, though I did watch Gracie's LP from the same competition because the music was Nella Fantasia, a favorite song of mine. One of hundreds, but I didn't like it very much because it was just the instrumental. (Maybe that means I'll like having vocals next year.) Anyway before I go off on another tangent, I was looking at the GPF protocols this season to check something regarding Yulia, and as I was scrolling down I saw the podium picture for the junior pairs. Something about Maria grabbed my attention, she has one of those fascinating faces, that makes you think you might be seeing a resemblance to someone else you've seen. Anyway, I started watching their programs fron the GPF and I enjoy their skating.

If you don't see their talent here, go check out the videos of the 2014 Senior Russian Nationals where they placed 3rd behind the two Olympic entries who competed. Among the differences, a huge 3Tw in the SP (Although, ironically enough, they only did a 2Tw in the LP):

SP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w1zWTlLkt8
LP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsGBmIXpDdE (side by side jumps were their nemesis here)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was being serious. Technically, 5th place was probably about right but I think that Aaron/Settlage deserved the highest PCS in both programs because their programs were skated on smooth edges, flowed very well and they had very strong postures and lines and their movement reflected the character of the music in both SP and FS.

Agree. Other than the Chinese team, Aaron / Settlage looked the smoothest and most mature. The Russian teams were sloppy, choppy, and looked pretty much like two singles skating together rather than like a pair.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

It is good they are working on their basics now because when they do have the technical ability they will be in a better place than a lot of the other U.S. pairs.

Something about Maria grabbed my attention, she has one of those fascinating faces, that makes you think you might be seeing a resemblance to someone else you've seen. Anyway, I started watching their programs fron the GPF and I enjoy their skating.

I can't put my finger on it but you're right. There is something really intriguing about her face.

It is good they are working on their basics now because when they do have the technical ability they will be in a better place than a lot of the other U.S. pairs.

Castelli/Shnapir prove that it's possible to do a late turn-around but you're right, it's better to start on the right foot. And there are quite a few sloppy US Senior Pairs. I hope that Aaron/Settlage they can stick together and find a way around on the twist and throws despite not having a big height and size difference because they have something special going on, presentation-wise.

pec0

Match Penalty
Thanks for posting video. I watched SUTO/CHIZHIKOV for the first time and found that I like them!!

Sara

On the Ice
Copied from the JW's Fb page:

PRESS CONFERENCE
Pairs, after Free Skating

Xiaoyu Yu/Yang Jin (CHN), 2014 World Junior Champions
Jin: Today we made a mistake, we missed one element. But overall we are pleased that we performed up to our level. I want to congratulate our competitors they showed beautiful elements and skated well. (On future plans) This was our last year in juniors and we are moving up to the senior level and hopefully will give good performances.
Yu: (on what new elements they want to learn for next season) We plan to add a new solo triple jump, the triple Salchow to our program.

Evgenia Tarasova/Vladimir Morozov (RUS), 2014 World Junior silver medalists
Tarasova: This year it was easier for us to compete here, to perform and with our emotions. We’ve skated at the World Junior Championship before, we knew what to expect and we prepared very well. Yes, there were mistakes, maybe the fourth starting number (last in the group) affected us.
Morozov: We are happy with the result, but there are things we need to work on, things that were lacking today and that we can improve. (On future plans) We cannot skate in juniors next season as we are aging out. So our goal is to be a factor in the senior team for Europeans and Worlds. There is a change of generation after the Olympic Games in Sotchi. (on what new elements they want to learn for next season) As I said, we are moving up to the senior level and we’ll have to learn quite a few new elements. I don’t want to point out specific ones now.

Maria Vigalova/Egor Zakroev (RUS), 2014 World Junior bronze medalists
Zakroev: Today our free skating did not go so well, we made many mistakes. A lot of people are used to seeing us skating clean. Maybe it was not enough today. We are happy that we were able to reach the podium and morally this third place might help us in the future to improve. (On future plans) We don’t know yet to be honest. We will have to wait for the (ISU) congress and their decision on the age limitations for juniors. After that we can make plans for the season. (on what new elements they want to learn for next season) We want to up the technical difficulty. There won’t be a double flip anymore, but a triple jump, but we don’t know yet which one.
Vigalova: (on looking uncomfortable) We are not happy with the way we skated today, but we feel comfortable at the press conference.