How long will Asada continue? | Golden Skate

How long will Asada continue?

wootie

Match Penalty
So if Mao can win at Worlds this year (as many hope she will), do you think she'll decide to keep competing another four years? For some reason, I get the feeling she isn't really too enthused about retiring from the competitive circuit and is doing it more out of "well, it's time...I'm too old." However, as we saw in the long program in Sochi, she CAN hit all the necessary jumps (even if a few are UR). If she's judged fairly going forward (which was not the case in Sochi), she CAN continue to win. Her technical elements are strong enough when she skates mostly clean to keep her competitive with her closest competition. Obviously, her PCS should remain high as I don't foresee her losing her artistic edge. Whereas it's been obvious for a while now that Yuna has wanted to move on with her life, Mao really does seem like she'd be happy to keep on competing as long as she felt like she had a reasonable chance of staying competitive. What do you guys think?

NMURA

Medalist
As long as she can do the 3A.

It's pretty obvious that Sato can't teach jumps. There's no senior skater who got improved jumps under his coaching. Neither Tarasova. Mao has practiced jumps by herself at the Chukyo rink almost six years after leaving Arutunian. She should go to Orser if she wants to improve (or keep) jumps.

Franklin99

Medalist
So if Mao can win at Worlds this year (as many hope she will), do you think she'll decide to keep competing another four years? For some reason, I get the feeling she isn't really too enthused about retiring from the competitive circuit and is doing it more out of "well, it's time...I'm too old." However, as we saw in the long program in Sochi, she CAN hit all the necessary jumps (even if a few are UR). If she's judged fairly going forward (which was not the case in Sochi), she CAN continue to win. Her technical elements are strong enough when she skates mostly clean to keep her competitive with her closest competition. Obviously, her PCS should remain high as I don't foresee her losing her artistic edge. Whereas it's been obvious for a while now that Yuna has wanted to move on with her life, Mao really does seem like she'd be happy to keep on competing as long as she felt like she had a reasonable chance of staying competitive. What do you guys think?

While I love Mao and I absolutely enjoy her performances, she is 23 years old and has devoted her whole life to FS. It's now time for her to live outside of figure skating. Get a new hobby, experience a relationship etc... where she can still do exhibition shows, without devoting all of her time preparing for competitions. Her mother died at a young age (48), and I hope Mao realizes that live is too short, and live hers to her fullest. She's not a puppet, and shouldn't have to keep performing for us like a circus animal. I don't mean to sound harsh, but I just want Mao to be happy living life outside of FS for once.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I think she should move on too, but I guess it depends what she personally wants to do. She probably wants to finish university, have a social life with girlfriends and boyfriends, that kind of thing, though she's so well-known in Japan it will be difficult to have much privacy. She's made enough money to not have to work for the rest of her life, but she needs to *have* a life. I imagine the competitor in her is disappointed with her SP performance at Sochi and believes she can do better. There could also be some pressure from the Japanese federation to keep going for another year or two to ease the generation change, given that Akiko Suzuki is retiring and Kanako Murakami is likely to quit sooner rather than later (which is a shame, because she's still young, but it seems she doesn't have the greatest nerves for competition). I hope Mao has the sense to go out on a high, and be able to achieve what she wants to achieve in life.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
If she decides to pull a Slutskaya i hope she grabs at least a couple more World titles on the way ;)

Can never count on what Olympics will look like, Might as well make sure you retire a very decorated skater.

And yes, A coach switch would be refreshing

CarneAsada

Medalist
If she wants to continue, she'd have to dedicate herself to maintaining her Olympic condition, which is no small task. It's not like there are female skaters before her who maintained both 3A and 3F-3Lo into their late 20s. I don't think Mao likes competing without the big tricks even if she could win without them. Also, competing on the GP events and at Nationals and at 4CC and at Worlds (and likely Japan Open and WTT as well) has to get exhausting mentally and physically. If the JSF doesn't let her skimp on competitions then she might get tired of the whole thing if she isn't already. She can probably make it to Pyeongchang as a favorite if she trains well, chooses her competitions carefully, and avoids injury. Do I think she cares enough to do it? Not really. She probably wants to enjoy life and who can blame her.

It's pretty obvious that Sato can't teach jumps. There's no senior skater who got improved jumps under his coaching. Neither Tarasova. Mao has practiced jumps by herself at the Chukyo rink almost six years after leaving Arutunian. She should go to Orser if she wants to improve (or keep) jumps.
So in your learned opinion, Mao has declined from a great jumper (2008) to a jumper with prodigious strengths but glaring weaknesses (2010) to a complete wreck (late 2010-2011) before reaching her brilliant Sochi practice skate/LP self all by practicing jumps alone, and nothing good came from Sato nor Tarasova. Right. That 3-3 didn't relearn itself, and though I don't doubt Mao's ability and dedication, I highly doubt she fixed it alone in the Chukyo rink. Who do you think she got help from, if not Sato? Nagakubo? Mai Asada?

usethis2

Medalist
Does anyone know how she truly feels about 3A? Does she want to keep it as her legacy and a motivation following her idol Midori, or does she feel obligated to do it because she has been known for it for such a long time?

I am truly sorry and sad for Mao. She had a mind-boggling SP in Vancouver (I'd put it over Yuna's 007) and a stunning FS in Sochi. Only if she could have had those performance in the same Olympics.. Medal or not she would have no regret whatsoever. I have no idea how she feels as to her future now. If she decides to stay my support is 100% behind her.

Of course I'd love to watch Mao skate forever. But I also want her to have a good and varied life. I hope that she is able to make a choice that is best for her, and it seems to me that this year or next year or whenever, she can leave on a high note and enjoy the opportunities that a pro skater seems to have in Asia these days, along with a life that gives her rewards in many directions, not just from her ice achievements. No matter when she steps away from competition, she will always be beloved in the skating world, not just in Japan but internationally, because she is one of the true greats.

JayW

Final Flight
Whereas it's been obvious for a while now that Yuna has wanted to move on with her life, Mao really does seem like she'd be happy to keep on competing as long as she felt like she had a reasonable chance of staying competitive. What do you guys think?

I somehow feel the same. Mao seems reluctant to say good bye. But I am actually happy for this, as long as she skates, I will always enjoy it even if she may not win. I love everything about Mao, even her stubborneess! Please keep going.

noskates

Record Breaker
I would be very surprised if Mao didn't retire after Worlds....whether she wins or not.

usethis2

Medalist
Well, we should not forget that she's lived a very different life, even by skating-world standard. Her decision should be and will be supported by everyone.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
she doesn't sound as sick of it all as yuna does, and i think she does have some fire left in her after sochi

if she wins worlds, i think retires...if she doesn't, she'll stay on for another year or two

kasik8222

Rinkside
While I love Mao and I absolutely enjoy her performances, she is 23 years old and has devoted her whole life to FS. It's now time for her to live outside of figure skating. Get a new hobby, experience a relationship etc... where she can still do exhibition shows, without devoting all of her time preparing for competitions. Her mother died at a young age (48), and I hope Mao realizes that live is too short, and live hers to her fullest. She's not a puppet, and shouldn't have to keep performing for us like a circus animal. I don't mean to sound harsh, but I just want Mao to be happy living life outside of FS for once.
I agree, Sooner or later every figure skater should find out what else life has to offer. Many female skaters don't have privete life, they don't have children because they devoted all their life for this sport. Most relationships are figure skater-figure skater, figure skater-choach type of relatioship. Their career after retirement is still connected with figure skating. I hardly know skaters who are educated in something else than sport (and I respect those who were able to go their own, different way). Sorry for my english.

glam

On the Ice
I agree, Sooner or later every figure skater should find out what else life has to offer. Many female skaters don't have privete life, they don't have children because they devoted all their life for this sport. Most relationships are figure skater-figure skater, figure skater-choach type of relatioship. Their career after retirement is still conected with figure skating. I hardly know skaters who are educated in something else than sport (and I respect those who were able to go their own, different way). Sorry for my english.

I don't think most of you who write these kind of posts have ever done figure skating yourself. It's a wonderful sport and once you fall in love with it, it will be a part of you for the rest your life. The feeling when you skate is something that can't be compared to anything. Of course it's natural that after a competitive career many skaters want to continue working with this sport, help other skaters and also continuing their passion with figure skating. Doing shows isn't comparable for being a circus animal. It's art. Like Lambiel has said, in what other work people applause you after your job? People pay money to see you, get so happy to see you? Mao and many other skaters have worked so hard to get the point where they can be part of this small exclusive group of skaters that people actually come to see in shows. Why should she give up doing a couple of shows during a year? just because she needs to study more? People can study and read books when they are 60 year olds, but they can't compete and skate at shows. You said you hardly know educated skaters. Well, most of the elite skaters do study at the university. I know many (Pechalat & Bourzat, Verner, Kwan, Korpi, Virtue, etc.) And when it comes to social life, believe it not, skaters have that too. It's not impossible.

kasik8222

Rinkside
I mean most skaters are educated in choaching/sport marketing and that's all...Many female skaters (for example Sasha Cohen or Pasha Grishuk) dream of being an actress. Why? Because they think figure skating and acting have something in common? Because it's easier for them to be an actress than a scientist? No offense, I fell in love with figure skating when I was about 10 years old. I know it's not an easy life. But sometimes it's better to be aware that there is other life and other people around you (How many figure skaters are married to someone who is not a skater/a choach/a choreographer? Are they able to have friends who don't belong to figure skating world). Once again sorry if I make mistakes;)

jace93

On the Ice
I agree, Sooner or later every figure skater should find out what else life has to offer. Many female skaters don't have privete life, they don't have children because they devoted all their life for this sport. Most relationships are figure skater-figure skater, figure skater-choach type of relatioship. Their career after retirement is still conected with figure skating. I hardly know skaters who are educated in something else than sport (and I respect those who were able to go their own, different way). Sorry for my english.

actually every single figure skater of team japan is studying in university ... and three of them had time to have a family while still competing (takahito mura, obunari oda, and miki ando (well her pregnacy didn't really help her quest for a comeback, but she still tried and with some results)

BusyMom

Medalist
actually every single figure skater of team japan is studying in university ... and three of them had time to have a family while still competing (takahito mura, obunari oda, and miki ando (well her pregnacy didn't really help her quest for a comeback, but she still tried and with some results)
That's true. Japanese skaters are one of the most hard working in this sport. Their ice time is after midnight due to the popularities of the FS in Japan and they still manage 6-8 hours training a day.No one has the privilege to op out of school or special treatments to take special exams. Hanyu had to wait to finish high-school before moving to Canada. Arakawa did the juggling between last year of her degree and training with Tarasava (the year she won World).

BusyMom

Medalist
I mean most skaters are educated in choaching/sport marketing and that's all...Many female skaters (for example Sasha Cohen or Pasha Grishuk) dream of being an actress. Why? Because they think figure skating and acting have something in common? Because it's easier for them to be an actress than a scientist? No offense, I fell in love with figure skating when I was about 10 years old. I know it's not an easy life. But sometimes it's better to be aware that there is other life and other people around you (How many figure skaters are married to someone who is not a skater/a choach/a choreographer? Are they able to have friends who don't belong to figure skating world). Once again sorry if I make mistakes;)
I knew a lot of elite skaters these days have more choice in their education. For example, Jason Brown take Japanese language for his degree, Oda is writing final thesis for his MBA, Ricky Donbush is an engineer student, Arakawa has a business degree and I think Cohen in fact studies Finance.

zilby

Spectator
Does anybody know if there is a video a Mao's FS at the Olympics? on youtube I just can find a video in bad quality :(