How long will Asada continue? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How long will Asada continue?

pec0

Match Penalty
Japanese domestic TV broadcasts have bullied Asada severely, i wonder why, using her in live show for good audience rating and asking her nastiest questions about her failure in past competitions. Maybe they want to see her cry on the spot. In winter season Asada's progress and condition will be top news and expectations are highest for her winning gold. But i think judging is not equal. Asada is carefully often unfairly URed where clear UR of others are passed. Asada got personal best score for FS at sochi but it was 3rd. She is watched wherever she goes. Mr.Cinq bet that Asada will be eternal loser because she has no courage and he was right anyway. I think it is natural Asada feels unhappy for her situation.

usethis2

Medalist
Does anybody know if there is a video a Mao's FS at the Olympics? on youtube I just can find a video in bad quality :(

I am afraid that you will have to search around gray sites or go through Japanese VPN. IOC uploaded only Adelina's FS, Yuna's SP/FS, Yuzuru's SP/FS, Yulia's team FS, and Plushenko's team FS last time I checked. (YouTube EU via VPN)

usethis2

Medalist
Japanese domestic TV broadcasts have bullied Asada severely, i wonder why, using her in live show for good audience rating and asking her nastiest questions about her failure in past competitions.
:scratch:

Journalism these days really stinks around the globe.

themeltyclock

Rinkside
Actually if you go to NBC's Sochi Olympics page and search Mao Asada you'll find her FS (you need to scroll down a bit). Full skate in great quality! There are also other figure skating videos hidden on their site, you just have to dig a bit.

pec0

Match Penalty
According to some japanese tabloid magazine JSF sabotaged her training for her last warmup training and practice period before the Sochi stage. After Asada announced her intention of retirement, Japanese media stopped direct/subtle bullying. Asada will not downgrade her program even though she is hated by majority and world media(because she is not humble?). Her body is at peak now so she can execute 8 triples. 3A is not good for bones. She knows dark side of competitions. So I think she was serious about retirement. Then she saw hell and heaven at Sochi. She is not sure if she should retire even though she knows judges can never be fair.

pec0

Match Penalty
I skated only when i was young in borrowed shoes. I know how difficult the ice is when you should use blades to turn, stop and more and it hurts if you fall on ice(much more I guess when you jump). I want to ask who can do figure skating whatever incidents or happenings at World can make Asada dicide to continue competitive skate.

volk

Final Flight
I think she will go for the 2018 Olympics. I am already pretty sure a Russian wont be winning the next Games (and I am not even talking about sotnikova who I will be shocked if she even is still around or tries for 2018, or Julia who I am pretty sure will be done due to her body by then; but whichever Russian is on top by then such as Radianova and new faces will face backlash in the 2018 Games scoring in South Korea after the 2014 debacle and what they did to South Korea's hero). So that leaves who as her competition. Gold, Kim if she returns somehow but she wont have been skating full time the way Mao will have been so at a disadvantage, whoever new might emerge by then, Osmond, Edmunds. I think her chances of winning the next Olympic gold are great.

She has improved her jump technique and skating alot the last 2 years, which started as a plan to go back to stratch 4 years ago. Still being quite young she will likely keep improving it along that plan, making her even harder to beat.

And if there will be a backlash will you complain just as passionately as you do now?

usethis2

Medalist
And if there will be a backlash will you complain just as passionately as you do now?

I think you are asking a wrong question. Those who support corruption and fixing now will have nothing to complain about similar incidents in the future. Those who criticize and seek a reform now will have freedom to choose from multiple logical positions in case such a backlash occurs in 2018.

volk

Final Flight
I think you are asking a wrong question. Those who support corruption and fixing now will have nothing to complain about similar incidents in the future. Those who criticize and seek a reform now will have freedom to choose from multiple logical positions in case such a backlash occurs in 2018.

So what you're basically saying that you'll complain only if you don't like the winner.

usethis2

Medalist
^ How do you get that out of my post, after you yourself highlighted the part? I said logical positions, that is, principled positions. I will spell them out later if you want me to. I am on mobile currently.

pec0

Match Penalty
ew, anyway i have no idea what Asada wants. She seems to have got her inspiration from Russian tradition of art and figure skating so maybe she can go Russia and stay with strong people whom she respect much and try more difficult thing. It can give new motivation. But she has had some physical problem, i do not know minor or serious. Im just guessing.

CarneAsada

Medalist
I think she will go for the 2018 Olympics. I am already pretty sure a Russian wont be winning the next Games (and I am not even talking about sotnikova who I will be shocked if she even is still around or tries for 2018, or Julia who I am pretty sure will be done due to her body by then; but whichever Russian is on top by then such as Radianova and new faces will face backlash in the 2018 Games scoring in South Korea after the 2014 debacle and what they did to South Korea's hero). So that leaves who as her competition. Gold, Kim if she returns somehow but she wont have been skating full time the way Mao will have been so at a disadvantage, whoever new might emerge by then, Osmond, Edmunds. I think her chances of winning the next Olympic gold are great.

She has improved her jump technique and skating alot the last 2 years, which started as a plan to go back to stratch 4 years ago. Still being quite young she will likely keep improving it along that plan, making her even harder to beat.
It would be great to see her continue, though she should take at least one season off. One additional piece of history she could (should) try making is becoming the first woman to land 4 triples in the SP as her 3-3 is basically restored to its 2008-09 level and her flutz is now a very consistent jump. In short, do the first minute of her Sochi LP then throw in the next 4 (5 if the spiral is restored) elements in whatever order she pleases and welcome to Mao making history as usual. Another thing I wish she would do is perform more earlier in the program and do her old spirals. This quad she was always restoring and rebuilding, but if she continues there's a lot she could still accomplish and there's still room for her to grow further.

amc987

On the Ice
I think she should retire after this season as she planned. Her body seems worn down/ it's more difficult for her to do some of her triples than it used to be. I'm glad she had such a wonderful skate in the Sochi LP- for me, hers and Kostner's were the best of the night- but I hope she doesn't try to go another 4 years.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not so sure it would be great to see Mao continues - if she wants too I guess okay but really she has not corrected her techniques with jumps. She stopped growing as an artst and she has consistency problems. She gambled with the triple axel and it hasn't worked out. I think it will be hard for her to try to motivate herself. I can see her like many skating in shows and then doing a quasi comeback but I don't think it will work forher. Yuna was a rarity but she wisely came back last year. Thanks for the memories Mao now start some new memories your life has a wonderful new chapter waiting for you:)

gotoschool

Medalist
I am not so sure it would be great to see Mao continues - if she wants too I guess okay but really she has not corrected her techniques with jumps. She stopped growing as an artst and she has consistency problems. She gambled with the triple axel and it hasn't worked out. I think it will be hard for her to try to motivate herself. I can see her like many skating in shows and then doing a quasi comeback but I don't think it will work forher. Yuna was a rarity but she wisely came back last year. Thanks for the memories Mao now start some new memories your life has a wonderful new chapter waiting for you:)

While he does offer some kind words for Mao, I think SkaterBoy is harsh and inaccurate in his judgement of Mao Asada's recent performances and on his assessment of her development in artistry and jumps. If you look at the thread on this site, "If you could see only 10 Long Programs the rest of your life," you will notice that Mao's Rochmaninoff's performance at Sochi received more votes than any other performance with 10 posters. Mine is only one of those posts. Furthermore, Tara Lipinski, Elvis Stojko and Kathleen Porter at CBC all said that she had the best Free Program, with Stojko saying that she had hands down the best performance for ALL figure skaters- pairs, men's and women's. Posters at youtube- even including some Yuna Kim fans- have also given her the greatest praise of all the skates at Sochi. Her score for this program was held down in order to allow Lipnitskaya a chance to leap frog her in the standings with an inflated PCS score and would have likely approached a world record with more equitable judging. If the competition had been fairly scored, I believe she would have earned a bronze medal, which goes a long way to disproving those who say should retire because she chokes under pressure. In addition, she has won 6 consecutive Grand Prix evens and 2 Grand Prix championships and scored over 200 points three times in a row during the Grand Prix Season WITHOUT SCORE INFLATION or Russian and Gold rigging. BEFORE the Inflated Russian PCS scores at Europeans and the inflated Russian and Gracie Gold scores at the Olympics, only two skaters in history had ever earned over 200 points in one competition in international competition: Mao Asada and Yunka Kim.

In terms of jumps, I showed one of my friends the performances of Mao Asada, Adelina Sotnikova and Yuna Kim in succession. He said that he liked Mao Asada's performance the best because of her beautiful jumps. I also noticed that during her Sochi performance she had developed a remarkably smooth fluidity entering and exiting her jumps, that she has developed a beautiful tight spiral, and a rapid whip-like motion that I don’t see in the other competitors. Most artistically of all, she has developed an exquisitely graceful, balletic flow of her entire upper body as she looks back to the exit of the jump- a gracefulness that Sotnikova tries to emulate but does not come close to. I will grant that in terms of the scoring system, she needs to improve her height, distance, speed and rotation- but in terms of aesthetic beauty, which is the most important to me, her jumps are the most exquisite. Under the 6 point system, she would have likely been much more successful than the highly mathematically-based one now, under which her balletic qualities and emotional resonance seem to not be factored in by the judges. Besides, the current system seems to penalize her body type because she is too slender to generate great height, speed and distance in her jumps. I ask rhetorically, how important should this be to the beauty of figure skating?

I would really like her to continue skating because I don’t think anyone else has her combination of artistry, grace, guts, flexibility, daring and emotional resonance, which she has fully developed this year. Who else will risk it all to give us the triple axel, which will obviously make her a little less consistent. However, I am afraid that the ridiculous score inflation of her main competitors- from 8 to 20 points in PCS alone for Kostner, the Russians and Gracie Gold while her PCS has remains totally flat- indicates that the scoring system is now obviously rigged against her, as if the ISU is actively trying to put her out to pasture . Furthermore, the cruelty of the Japanese Prime Minister’s comments, critical articles in the Japan Times, the strictness with which her jumps are scrutinized, and fans who seem to pity her as if she doesn’t have any great achievements, all suggest that she should retire because she simply isn’t given the respect and appreciation she deserves. You don’t know what she got till it’s gone is my comment for all these critics and bashers. Therefore, in the interest of her mental and physical health- how many more contorted spins, triple axels and triple jumps will she have to do now in order to combat this ridiculous inflation- I think it would be better for her to retire. However, deep down I think her fighter instinct will get the best of her and she will continue. After Socheat with Russia’s rigged referendum in Crimea as evidence, the placement of skaters in a competition should be secondary if not irrelevant to the performances anyway.