Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 59th Eurovision Song Contest

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    Still, every time I read about the singer Lorde I get this mental image of Lordi on the stage in their costumes
    I am embarassed to admit this, but when people were talking about the Grammys the other week, I really did think that it was Lordi that had won it! It was only when I saw a pretty young girl on the TV that I realised that I was maybe wrong...

Well, I have a good excuse: I had never heard tell of Lorde before, and still haven't heard any of her songs!

Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    Oh and Playing with Fire - brilliant! Our tastes seem to be quite similar!
    Mmmm. Let's put that to the test.

What I normally do every year is print out the entry lists. For each Semi, I put a dash next to the ones I like. Then, during the video clips at the start of the voting, I pick a top 4 for that night. For the final, I do the marking thing for the pre-qualified countries, and then pick a Top 6 from all the finalists.

So far, my choices for this year are very different to what they normally are. Normally, my Top 4 would consist almost exclusively of beautiful young Eastern European women. This year, I have 3 blokes and then a set of (beautiful young) Russian twins.

Here are my choices for 2014 Semi Final 1:

EDIT: The videos in the table are the promo videos for each song. For the actual performances, see this official YouTube playlist (which, unfortunately, is not done in performance order. Grrrr!!!!): LIVE 2014 Eurovision Song Contest First Semi-Final

Yippee!!! Valentina finally got through to the final!!! Third time lucky!!! Although, to be honest, I preferred her song from last year. But, at least it was another proper song rather than that joke song she had in 2012.

Unfortunately, for the second year in a row, my favourite from one of the Semi-Finals has not qualified for the Final. Boo. Hiss.

On the other hand, only one of the acts I didn’t like qualified (Iceland). Well, “didn’t like” is maybe a bit strong. I did actually like the song. It’s just that the group singing it weren’t the best singers in the world…

But, I think it is one of those entries where, the more I hear it, the more it will grow on me. So maybe I will like it more by the end of Saturday night.

A thing I was disappointed in was that there were so many songs being sung in English. Personally, I prefer it when the singers are performing songs in their own language. But, only Portugal and Montenegro did that last night. And, going by the song titles for tomorrow’s Semi, it looks like there will be only one that is not in English (Poland)

Montenegro was one of my favourites, and I was so relieved when they qualified. But, Portugal didn’t get through. Although they had a good song, I was very disappointed in Suzy’s singing. Nice dress, though…

So, all in all, I really enjoyed last night’s Semi. I just hope that the quality of Thursday’s is as good. Because if it is not, I will be even more annoyed that Belgium and the others I liked from last night didn’t get through.

I just hope Paula and Ovi have as good a song as they did the last time…

Looking forward to Thursday

CaroLiza_fan

I couldn't wait until tomorrow so I listened to most of the songs from the second semi-final, as well. I just love Norway's song, I'll vote for it tomorrow

fairy dust distributor ~Pamina~'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    I am embarassed to admit this, but when people were talking about the Grammys the other week, I really did think that it was Lordi that had won it! It was only when I saw a pretty young girl on the TV that I realised that I was maybe wrong...
    or maybe not who knows what hides under those masks and all that make up

I've long since given up on making 'serious' predictions. The things I like never get anywhere near the top. Except for Lordi. Me and some friends were on holiday in Helsinki at the time and the day after the finale pretty much everybody we met was like "oh my God, this is so embarrassing" and we couldn't stop laughing and say "why?? this is the most awesome thing that has ever happened!"

I just watched the first Semi online (got stuck in a traffic jam last night and didn't make it home in time )

The choir compilation in the beginning was nice. I always like it when they include the fans.
    The Eurovision Book of Records was hilarious.

Latvia and Iceland - loved them! I live and breathe for this kind of craziness
    Ukraine - maybe turn down the wind machine a little bit before she gets blown off the stage?
    I think Belgium might have had more luck with different lyrics. The guy obviously knows how to sing and give a passionate performance, but I really think the lyrics and the dancing mommy didn't help.
    Moldova was... what was that? Half a Valkyrie?
    San Marino - why, oh why doesn't anybody have the decency to finally lock away Ralph Siegel? I can't take it anymore...
    I agree about Suzy's singing. Quite underwhelming. But that gave me more time to figure out if she was actually wearing some kind of clothing or if those flower thingies were glued onto her body... I'm still not sure.
    The Netherlands - I was surprised but I really liked that performance best. No idea why

I can't watch the final live tomorrow (I have to watch stupid opera at the cinema when I'd rather watch stupid song contest on tv) but maybe it's better this way the live stream was a complete disaster. Sometimes it kept repeating parts and then skipped to a later point in the song. Very annoying!

I don't have a fancy chart but I made a list today

Malta - boring version of Mumford&Sons
    Israel - didn't really care for that one either
    Norway - that was great. love the guy and the song.
    Georgia - that was horrible but at least it was really funny to watch
    Poland - not really my thing but at least it wasn't boring (and the sideshow girls were hilarious. I was honestly expecting them to turn this into a wet-t-shirt-contest)
    Austria - did I mention that I live for this kind of crazy? I love that this is not some kind of funny freak show but a seriously awesome performance (plus, this would have made a great James Bond song)
    Lithuania - ouch. the song, the singing, the outfit. everything hurts.
    Finland - decent but ultimately nothing special.
    Ireland - meh. kinda boring. at least I got to see dancing men in skirts (and an honorable mention for "The Irish Licker" )
    Belarus - thanks, no cheesecake for me
    Macedonia - looked kinda scary and sounded rather uninspired
    Switzerland - that was fun. I liked it.
    Greece - (I wasn't nearly drunk enough to enjoy this)
    Slovenia - that wasn't bad but her dress was clearly stolen from an Evil Queen who will come after her
    Romania - I want that piano badly

oh well. Austria and Norway made it and only one of the songs I found terrible got into the final. I can live with that ^_^

Isn't the final on Saturday night?

Yes, the final is on Saturday. But it's already after midnight so technically it's already Friday which means tomorrow is Saturday and...... ok, ok, I made a mistake, I shouldn't have said tomorrow my bad

#TeamAUS
    Im really happy that Malta made it to the finals. It's a great song.
    And @Pamina- Malta was boring???

#TeamAUS
    Also, Well Done Jessica Mauboy, smashing it for Australia in the Interval.

#TeamAustralia

The second semi final was much better than the first one.

My top for the final:
    Norway - in my opinion, by far the best song this year
    Austria - i love the voice
    Finland - it probably won't get much votes, but I like it a lot
    Slovenia - great voice, great song and lovely dress. She looks like Tarja Turunen.
    Romania - not a big fan of the song, but it's my country

The Australians are so CUTE!
    Here is the 2013 video about how popular ESC is in Australia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYPmT5mUQSI

Quote Originally Posted by ~Pamina~ View Post
    Yes, the final is on Saturday. But it's already after midnight so technically it's already Friday which means tomorrow is Saturday and...... ok, ok, I made a mistake, I shouldn't have said tomorrow my bad
    Haha, no problem

I have no clue how Eurovision became so popular in Australia but I know they've been even doing their own top of the songs for the last years. Their appearance last night was very fun, I loved them.

Also, it seems like Romania decided to send Paula Seling & Ovi every time the Winter Olympics are held (first time was in 2010)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUsJi8nKsj0

This year's Australia interval act...I'm crying

Quote Originally Posted by GF2445 View Post
    And @Pamina- Malta was boring???
    kinda, yes
    no offense, just my opinion I don't like it. Doesn't mean anything.
    (tbh, this happens quite often with the Greek entries. People go nuts about it, like yesterday, only I get the sudden urge to stuff something in my ears)

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Sorry that this is later than I intended, but I was out this morning. For the first time, my town was hosting a Continental Market.

Here is my verdict on last night’s Semi.

EDIT: The videos in the table are the promo videos for each song. For the actual performances, see this official YouTube playlist (which, again, is not done in performance order. Grrrr!!!!): LIVE: 2014 Second Semi-Final, Eurovision Song Contest

As I suspected, the usual trend for the Semis continued – there was one Semi with a whole pile of good acts (in this case, Tuesday), and one with not so many (Thursday).

For me, there were 2 acts in Semi Final 2 that were head and shoulders above the rest – Austria and Slovenia. And I hate to admit it, but of everybody who performed last night, the bloke in the dress was my favourite. He was by far the best singer without doubt.

My third favourite was Finland (hey, I’m a rocker at heart!) Of the other acts I liked, they were all much of a muchness. So, I went for Ireland!

I was VERY disappointed in Paula and Ovi. The singing was good enough, but the song itself was hopeless. They were a shadow of what we saw in 2010.

You remember the other day I was telling you that I prefer not to hear the entries beforehand, so that I can base my judgement on the performances on the night. Well, I heard the UK entry on the radio yesterday. And I didn’t like it.

Also, during the intervals, BBC3 does an analysis of the performances we have just seen, and usually has one of the entries from the other Semi as a guest analyst. On Tuesday, they had the Macedonian entry, Tijana. And I took an instant dislike to her. She came across as having a really bad attitude. So, when she came on stage last night, I had already a bias against her. Mind you, during the analysis last night, both the “expert” and the guest (the girl from the Latvian group) said that Tijana was out of tune. So, that made me feel a bit better.

Poland - not really my thing but at least it wasn't boring (and the sideshow girls were hilarious. I was honestly expecting them to turn this into a wet-t-shirt-contest)
    I was thinking the same about the Polish dancers! Particularly the one with the scrubbing board (was it just me, or did she look like a more buxom version of Viktoria Sinitsina?)

But, it brought about a priceless Eurovision moment during the analysis during the interval.

The BBC presenter, Scott Mills, asked the Latvian girl what she thought of the Polish performance and she said “I just saw a lot of boobies. Isn’t this show… children watching it?” She then continued “It’s an interesting way to show your, um, Slavic girls. If all girls are like that, it would be interesting to see them.”

Scott then tried to explain that “it was showing Polish chores like churning butter, etc.” But then the Latvian girl interrupted “But I’m a woman and I know, with this big chest it’s hard to…” [and she demonstrates trying to use a scrubbing board] “If you have that big décolletage it’s hard to work…”

At this point Scott changed the subject. But, she had a point. And she should know...

I agree about Suzy's singing. Quite underwhelming. But that gave me more time to figure out if she was actually wearing some kind of clothing or if those flower thingies were glued onto her body... I'm still not sure.
    And, while we are on the subject of upper torsos, having studied Suzy in detail on Tuesday night (hey, I’m a guy, after all!), I came to the conclusion that the flowery thingies were indeed stuck directly onto her.

Quote Originally Posted by GF2445 View Post
    Also, Well Done Jessica Mauboy, smashing it for Australia in the Interval.

#TeamAustralia
    Finally, may I just say that I would have definitely put that Aussie girl through to the Final! She was absolutely brilliant – even better than the Austrian bloke in the dress!

CaroLiza_fan

And I hate to admit it, but of everybody who performed last night, the bloke in the dress was my favourite. He was by far the best singer without doubt.
    aaahhh it's ok, the Wurst rules!

And, while we are on the subject of upper torsos, having studied Suzy in detail on Tuesday night (hey, I’m a guy, after all!), I came to the conclusion that the flowery thingies were indeed stuck directly onto her.
    thank you so much for taking it upon yourself to do this tedious work and have a closer look I'm sure you went through hell

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast