2014 Worlds Junior Men - Free Skate | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds Junior Men - Free Skate

jace93

On the Ice
well hanyu, takahashi, chan, where all 15 in their last season as junior,Plushenko was only 13... but at the same time they seemed readier to take on the senior level than this bunch of guys ( even though all of the top six is really talented and I think given time would be able to make some big waves in the senior ranks...)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unfortunately did not the most talented skaters win: Pitkeev and Petrov. Chen was overrated in PCS. I don´t think Nguyen has a bright future. Maybe a top ten skater among seniors.

YOUR opinion. I thought quite the opposite. Pitkeev skated right through his music---he could have been skating to noise, it would have been the same. He is a technical skater, but not a particularly musical one and I didn't see any great presentation skills. Petrov has better presentation skills, but isn't as good a technician as Pitkeev.

OTOH, Chen is so musical that I could see him as an ice dancer except that he is much too small. Right now he is still struggling with growth-related knee issues that limit his ability to practice 3a, but his presentation skills are superb.

To say Nguyen has a limited future is just sour grapes.

And I saw a bit of sour grapes on the podium on Pitkeev's face. Perhaps if he hadn't singled the loop in the SP, he would have won. But he did, so he didn't.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
So happy for Nam Nguyen & Nathan Chen. I've been a fan of both for the past 2 or 3 years. Have not seen the Russian boys yet so will not comment on them.

catchie

On the Ice
very very good arm movements

Russia should start getting him
he should have dual citizenship
Deniss Vasiljievs is a Latvianized name for Denis Vasiliev

Nope, he is not Russian. He was born in Latgale - which is the most 'Russianised' district in Latvia, because in the history the Latgale part of Latvia belonged to Russia, Poland and others... So, historically, their names and surnames are very-russian-like, but they are Latvians. There's even a thing like Latgalian accent here in Latvia. They are quite like Scottish in Great Britain. Have their own culture, traditions, roots... but still belong to Latvia. Deniss is 100% Latvian. : )

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Nope, he is not Russian. He was born in Latgale - which is the most 'Russianised' district in Latvia, because in the history the Latgale part of Latvia belonged to Russia, Poland and others... So, historically, their names and surnames are very-russian-like, but they are Latvians. There's even a thing like Latgalian accent here in Latvia. They are quite like Scottish in Great Britain. Have their own culture, traditions, roots... but still belong to Latvia. Deniss is 100% Latvian. : )

ah ok , sorry :)
I thought he is Russian because Latvia's 2nd largest ethnic group are Russians not to mention the name

Denis has a bright future still very young
but nice presentation, lovely arm movements, big jumps and great spinner
he'll get the big jumps once he get older

catchie

On the Ice
ah ok , sorry :)
Denis has a bright future still very young
but nice presentation, lovely arm movements, big jumps and great spinner
he'll get the big jumps once he get older

He's our only hope right now. He's as radiant as Elena Radionova - you can really see how much he loves his sport. I hope he does continue to develop, I hope growth spurt doesn't affect him too much... and then we'll see. Since August, when I first saw him live, I'm just blown away by his skating. I still can't believe he's actually LATVIAN and skating like that. Latvians usually suck at this sport. But, not this time... : )

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
He's our only hope right now. He's as radiant as Elena Radionova - you can really see how much he loves his sport. I hope he does continue to develop, I hope growth spurt doesn't affect him too much... and then we'll see. Since August, when I first saw him live, I'm just blown away by his skating. I still can't believe he's actually LATVIAN and skating like that. Latvians usually suck at this sport. But, not this time... : )

and he's cute :)
seems the audience really enjoys him.

for Dennis, I wouldn't worry much about his future, if he was a girl then I would be more worried growing hips and boobs in puberty
boys usually dont have much puberty effects compared to girls in FS

tripletwizzle

Rinkside
Nam is leading now, wow wowow... I don't know what to say, Brian Orser's best students are mostly Asian decedents. Kim Yuna, Yuzuru, and now Nam Nguyen.

The vast majority of skaters are either Asian or White so I don't think ethnicity has anything to do with it...Brian just has a good eye for talent and great skill in helping raw talent along to its' full potential.

catchie

On the Ice
and he's cute :)
seems the audience really enjoys him.

for Dennis, I wouldn't worry much about his future, if he was a girl then I would be more worried growing hips and boobs in puberty
boys usually dont have much puberty effects compared to girls in FS

He's too cute to be true : D And very entertaining as well : )

And, by the way, I was really impressed how fast he learned 3Lz+3T. In August he had 3T+3T and VERY wobbly 3Lz (I think he actually fell on it in competition). And now BOOM. He's hitting 3Lz+3T like it's nothing special.

emdee

Final Flight
The vast majority of skaters are either Asian or White so I don't think ethnicity has anything to do with it...Brian just has a good eye for talent and great skill in helping raw talent along to its' full potential.

Canada is very multicultural. So we have quite a few Asian skaters.

Npmonice

Rinkside
If only Pitkeev landed the 3Lo in the SP, I'm sure he would be the new WJC. I have nothing against the Canadian Nam, I just prefer the Russian. I also really liked the guy Denis from Latvia :). I am also really happy for the British guy, who managed to post the 9th highest TECH score, yeah, now he really needs to work on the PC's since they were 15 points lower than his tech score. Oh dear and what happened to Sondre from Norway :(.

Becki

Medalist
I still think Nam, Shoma, Boyang (the guy can fly!), Nathan are the future of (Asian) men figure skating :p

Shoma needs to upgrade his technical difficulty! Much like Jason Brown, he is such an artist on ice. He just lacks the big tricks or else he'll be very competitive.

Nam surprised me. I thought he might end up 3rd if lucky, but totally surprised me! Good job :)

Boyang - big tricks but needs to be a more fluid skater.

Nathan is very, very good! He has nice lines (imo) but his 3A isn't that good, he telegraphs is like crazy.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am also really happy for the British guy, who managed to post the 9th highest TECH score, yeah, now he really needs to work on the PC's since they were 15 points lower than his tech score. Oh dear and what happened to Sondre from Norway :(.

Graham Newberry had the misfortune to skate first in the FS. He was one of the few skaters to deliver a clean FS, but because he was first in the first flight, his PCS scores were held down.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Just watched Nathan's free -

- That bandage on his hand is a splint of some kind - seems to be protecting his wrist.

- That's more emotion (especially facial) during the program than I have seen from him. He has been working.

- As a long time fan (I first saw him skate in 2002) - he needs someone like Frank Carroll or Chris Sherard to fix that 3 axel before the stalking becomes permanent.

- He is finally old enough that I can do without the "age appropriate" music. I liked the Porgy and Bess parts (especially the loop at that great moment in the music) but the Chattanooga Choo Choo and music of it's type can be put away at this point.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Npmonice

Rinkside
Graham Newberry had the misfortune to skate first in the FS. He was one of the few skaters to deliver a clean FS, but because he was first in the first flight, his PCS scores were held down.

I did watch and I am not so sure it was just because he skated first that his PC's were so low. I see weak areas in his skating/PC's, hopefully he and his coach, in this case his daddy will work on that :).
Technically he is quite good and I have seen videos of him completing 3A, so if he works on his packaging hopefully the UK may have someone to get excited about :)

oleada

Record Breaker
And I saw a bit of sour grapes on the podium on Pitkeev's face. Perhaps if he hadn't singled the loop in the SP, he would have won. But he did, so he didn't.

I think you are projecting there. He greeted Nam and reached across to congratulate Nathan when Nathan didn't go up to him. All the boys were taking pictures together. It's natural if he was disappointed over not winning, but he was totally polite and more than appropriate on the podium.

I agree with the results; I don't think Nam is the most talented skater in this field but he skated the best overall in this competition.