Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Ice dance rule changes 2014-2015

Custom Title
    Davis/White's spin in free dance took 15 second, Virtue/Moir's spin 20 second, Ilinykh/Katsalapov's spin 25 second. Yes remove a 6 second lift so we will see more dancing

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    If they were going to get rid of a lift, I would rather that they got rid of the choreographic lift.

What this will probably do is spell the end of the combination lift for most teams. This is too bad IMO.

Custom Title
    Has the ISU explained what the motivation behind this change is?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Probably what the article said:
    In both the junior and senior free dance, the number of lifts will be reduced by one in order to leave more time and energy for dancing and choreography. In addition, teams may choose whether to do a choreographed lift, as they did this season, or a "choreographic spin movement," which is new for the 2014-15 season.

Jean Luc Baker is echoing arguments he hears at home, and that are probably common among older dancers, and perhaps the tech committee as well:
    Baker -- the son of four-time British ice dance champion Sharon Jones -- is in favor of the new rules.
    "I was brought up [with] more vintage-style ice dance, not 'Look at me, how strong I am, I throw my partner around like a doll,'" he said. "That's more pairs. I like to see the dance in ice dance.
    "I wish they could incorporate dancing a little more and not so much technique," he continued. "It's so hard with the quickstep this year to really show the style of a quickstep because we have to do so many technical things and we can't really allow the dance to flow as it was created. It's hard to do two things at once."
    This change will be hard on Coomes and Buckland, but it might be good for the Shibsibs.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 03-15-2014 at 06:22 AM.

Custom Title
    I think this is good. However does the time for each lift remain at 6 seconds?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    This change will be hard on Coomes and Buckland, but it might be good for the Shibsibs.
    Why one less lift good for Shibutanis? If you have good dance skills but bad lifts, yes this rule work for you. But Shibutanis needs a lot of improvement on dance. Lifts are not that bad.

Banned
    basically this new rule favors little height difference like the overjoyed Hawayek / Baker etc.
    will be disappointing for Coomes / Buckland who rely on their height to get difficult lifts but having terrible skating skills

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    Has the ISU explained what the motivation behind this change is?
    Take a look at the makeup of the ISU Dance Committee and you should have a pretty good idea why.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Take a look at the makeup of the ISU Dance Committee and you should have a pretty good idea why.
    North Americans ? No more D/W and V/M who did difficult lifts
    their new dancers have little height difference with good basics and skating skills
    they are shooting for Hawayek / Baker for 2018 Olympics ?

you are spot on that

Custom Title
    Good news for Stepanova/Bukin too. Interesting last two world junior ice dance champions have little height difference.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by elif View Post
    Good news for Stepanova/Bukin too. Interesting last two world junior ice dance champions have little height difference.
    Stepanova / Bukin have bad posture and skating skills
    this new rule is molded for like Hawayek / Baker , similar height but good basics and skating skills

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Stepanova / Bukin have bad posture and skating skills
    this new rule is molded for like Hawayek / Baker , similar height but good basics and skating skills
    Height difference? What we should have is fewer but more choreographically interesting lifts. So rather than all six second lifts one should be a extended lift say 10 seconds. Otherwise what real challenge is there moving from juniors to seniors? Just an extra 30 second choreographic sequence/content? How do you objectively grade that?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bramweld View Post
    Height difference? What we should have is fewer but more choreographically interesting lifts. So rather than all six second lifts one should be a extended lift say 10 seconds. Otherwise what real challenge is there moving from juniors to seniors? Just an extra 30 second choreographic sequence/content? How do you objectively grade that?
    Sure that would be a good development. But it isn't. It's simply eliminating an entire lift for what? Six more seconds of steps? And as Doris points out, it is going to kill combo lifts. So say good bye to programs like Scheherazade, which gains much of its excitement of its ending from the momentum of one lift after another. Oh well.

Oh it's a step alright--a big step backward.

Custom Title
    Let's get serious S/B have lots of work to do no matter what rules are in place. It is the russian coaches who are partly to blame for the poor packaging and refinement of their skaters. Zhulin at the very least tries to polish his skaters. If S/Z don't make serious improvements or change coaches they will be overtaken by a number of new faces.

I agree that more creativity in the SD could be very good, especially because it may lead to new CDs (during the last 20 years only a couple of dances were invented!), but taking one lift away from the FD is not really an intelligent move

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast