Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Ice dance rule changes 2014-2015

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    On the bright side, it's a long time since we've had any part of the Silver Samba (it will be part of Juniors in 1996-I didn't even remember what it looks like.

Instructional vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8acOXwMRiY

1996 Worlds - Grishuk & Platov, Kylova & Ovsiannikov, Bourne & Kraatz

Custom Title
    Why? oh why? That looks like such a tacky little dance. Why do they have to continue with these dreadful patterns. JMO by the way

I need someone to show me a good paso doble! Why so much drama?

Custom Title
    Torvill & Dean's Original Set Pattern Dance. It's a little unusual because she is playing his cape. But it is the best OD I've ever seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_8AsMSn1ys

Drama galore because this is the "bullfighting" dance, and bullfighting is all about the ritual of the drama.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Fox & Dalley 1984 had a nice Paso Doble CD-Dick Button used their dance to do explanation of the dance.
    http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_...?v=4IvHVoLYjFM

The Paso CD was one of the cds for the 08-09 season. D&W won the CD at Skate Canada with this performance. Last time I think that Charlie gelled his hair. Possibly last event when PJ Kwong was quite this complimentary to them either. V&M were not at SC that year.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_...?v=-KQqlLBTGoU
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 03-15-2014 at 10:31 AM.

Medalist
    Ice dancing as a sport is losing me.

Custom Title
    Procrastinating by Watching my Fav. Skaters
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Sure that would be a good development. But it isn't. It's simply eliminating an entire lift for what? Six more seconds of steps? And as Doris points out, it is going to kill combo lifts. So say good bye to programs like Scheherazade, which gains much of its excitement of its ending from the momentum of one lift after another. Oh well.

Oh it's a step alright--a big step backward.
    This is such a shame... They're taking the excitement away from ice dance right after interest was rekindled (to a degree, for a time period) in countries like the U.S. No offense to those who feel differently, but if I want to watch a dance program, I'll go watch some ballroom dancing. I get that ice dance isn't pairs....But the more they push for less athletic expectations, the more complaints there will be as to why it's an Olympic sport, imo....

Plus I just LOVED Scheherazade .... And was excited by the direction I/K's programs were headed. :(

Banned
    should Ice Dancing be removed now as an Olympic Sport ?
    I think it should

after all they now think its more dancing and not a sport/athleticism

Custom Title
    Well, to be fair I think the change is less about six seconds of more steps and more about all the time and energy it takes to come up with and train the lifts -- they want to shift the focus a bit to choreography maybe?

But let's be real, the lifts and twizzles are the most popular part of ice dance. I will miss combo lifts especially, ugh. And I really think free dances would be better if there was an extra spin, said no one ever! I wish they'd left it alone. At least one compulsory pattern and I assume some required turns is an interesting change to the SD.

Custom Title
    I doubt reducing the requirements by ONE lift is going to make that much of a difference. Quite frankly, for some of the teams those lifts really break the flow of the program. What I don't like is the required spin. Doesn't seem to fit an ice dance program. It will be interesting to see what the teams do with creativity ....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    I doubt reducing the requirements by ONE lift is going to make that much of a difference. Quite frankly, for some of the teams those lifts really break the flow of the program. What I don't like is the required spin. Doesn't seem to fit an ice dance program. It will be interesting to see what the teams do with creativity ....
    It's actually reduced by two required lifts. Now only three are required + a choreo lift OR a choreo spin.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Take a look at the makeup of the ISU Dance Committee and you should have a pretty good idea why.
    What do you mean? I don't mean that snarkily or anything, I'm honestly curious.

Here is the makeup of the Dance Committee (I think?):

Ice Dance

Chair
    Halina Gordon-Poltorak
    Poland

Members
    Robert Joseph Horen
    USA

Gilles Vandenbroeck
    France

Alla Shekhovtsova
    Russia

(appointed Skater)
    Sylvia Nowak-Trebacka
    Poland

(appointed coach)
    John Dunn
    Spain

I really can't spot any common interest among these people...

Banned
    lol now the isu wants more dancing

what trolls

Custom Title
    Well after they let the horse out of the proverbial gate already, what did we expect them to do? But seriously I think in the very near future we're going to go back to either the OSP or OD. Wouldn't that be fun? Some of the pattern dances are starting to look dull...JMHO. But which do you guys think will be more interesting the OSP or the OD?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    less lift ? thats depressing
    isn't Ice dance a sport ? athleticism must come first

Hawayek / Baker and Hurtado / Diaz must be thrilled
    Two people skating apart and sometimes keep hands and doing difficult acrobatic lifts are already in pair cathegory. While to have another cathegory with the same content? Ice Dance was always a half sport and a half art.
    (And by the way single skaters takes themselves like artists as well, not only like sportsman, because everything what is connected with music and dance is partly art, but dancers were always a cathegory where art played major role...but it was mostly lost in past years).

More couples will look happy - everybody who makes points mainly on lifts will be sad and skaters and dancers who are great in others aspects will be neutral or satisfied.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperinflation View Post
    lol now the isu wants more dancing

what trolls
    right because this is what FS needs more dance
    and becoming a sport mockery that Ice Dancing is already is

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast