Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Ice dance rule changes 2014-2015

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    Intricate entrances, exits and varied positions of spins are far more attractive to watch than an extra 30 seconds or more of footwork. Nor do I think it detracts from the music unless the music is not cut to enhance this aspect of the program. That's why Meryl & Charlie always do such great elements. Charlie knows how to cut the music to show an element to its best advantage.
    Who ever said an extra 30 seconds or more of footwork would replace spins? That doesn't even make sense.

Here is the spin in Davis/White's FD this season: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqB_HeOQ6PU&t=2m30s

To me, it has little/nothing to do with the music and the change of foot is particularly distracting. The exit is nice, but that movement could have been part of the choreography anyway.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Honestly, of all the changes they could have made, this is bizarre and disappointing to me. To me, the cap on lifts at 6 seconds is already a buzz kill (I do favor a limit, but would make it higher, at least 8 and possibly 10 seconds) and I think that, as has been said, we will now never see a lift longer than 6 seconds because this will likely be the de facto end of combination lifts.
    And so many ice dance teams already end up getting deductions for lifts being too long as it is - I hope the deductions don't become even more frequent. I think it happened to Tessa & Scott just a few months ago at Nationals, and to Weaver & Poje in Sochi, not to mention countless other teams over the past few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by hyperinflation View Post
    ice dance is pretty much the only discipline that's increased in popularity in the last ten years. it's gone from a eurotrash mess no one took seriously to a marquee event in two quads
    In North America maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Lifts should definitely not be eliminated. I didn't say twizzles should be eliminated either, just the full twizzle sequences as a required element are unncessary. Why must this sequence be in every single dance? It makes little sense. You could simply require a couple twizzle turns, in both directions, to be included in one of the footwork sequences in order to achieve the highest level.

That said, keeping twizzle sequences as a stand-alone required element is far better than keeping spins, at least with the current rules. The spins take far too long and distract from the flow and choreography and intepretation of programs 99% of the time. This is even more true in pairs skating. The rules desperately need to be changed.
    I fully agree.

Here is the spin in Davis/White's FD this season: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqB_HeOQ6PU&t=2m30s

To me, it has little/nothing to do with the music and the change of foot is particularly distracting. The exit is nice, but that movement could have been part of the choreography anyway.
    That was pretty! I don't know if it went with the music particularly, but it did go along with the story-telling.

About twizzles, to me the twizzle sequence is the only part of a dance program where the skaters say, OK, let's stop dancing now and do our required twizzles. Then we can pick up the dance again after that.

Still, you can't eliminate them because, well, then it wouldn't be sports.

Custom Title
    Who ever said an extra 30 seconds or more of footwork would replace spins? That doesn't even make sense.

I guess we will just continue to disagree on this issue.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    That was pretty! I don't know if it went with the music particularly, but it did go along with the story-telling.

About twizzles, to me the twizzle sequence is the only part of a dance program where the skaters say, OK, let's stop dancing now and do our required twizzles. Then we can pick up the dance again after that.

Still, you can't eliminate them because, well, then it wouldn't be sports.
    Just to point out, the twizzle sequence in D&W's Shez was timed perfectly to the music. Again, not every dance team does this, but it is not impossible to incorporate twizzles to a specific section of music.

Teams must also execute creative steps to the Paso Doble rhythm that the technical panel will grade according to the same key points used to grade the pattern dance section
    Now, what does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    Now, what does that mean?
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    +1
    Well it is dubious isn't it? I'm afraid it will be more difficult to judge and more subjective no?

The required pattern dance in the senior short dance is the Paso Doble, but only one section of the compulsory must be done
    I don't agree with this as well. It's far from the concept of obligatory dance in Ice Dancing.

Custom Title
    This is just my guess, but maybe they'll give the teams a list of required steps/turns they must complete in that section, but they'll have the freedom to choreograph around them in any way they please? Then the tech callers can grade those key points and the judging panel can judge the PCS and GOE of the sequence.

Hopefully the ISU will issue their notification/memo/whatever it's called soon so we'll know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    Just to point out, the twizzle sequence in D&W's Shez was timed perfectly to the music. Again, not every dance team does this, but it is not impossible to incorporate twizzles to a specific section of music.
    Still, I cannot tell the difference between Twizzles done to Scherahezade and twizzles done to Fledermaus.

go figure
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    The required pattern dance in the senior short dance is the Paso Doble, but only one section of the compulsory must be done.
    I'm thrilled to hear this. I can't wait to see the individual takes on this.

Custom Title
    We are all going to be SO tired of the music used for this dance long before the season is half over.

Custom Title
    Procrastinating by Watching my Fav. Skaters
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    We are all going to be SO tired of the music used for this dance long before the season is half over.
    Speaking of music.....do you have any guesses on which songs or pieces might be used?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast