Shoma Uno | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

purpledream

On the Ice
I think "Fuu" and "shuu" are merely onomatopoeic words (in Japanese) to describe the sound of flying (or jumping into the air) aka there's no real special meaning to it. I surmise it mostly has something to do with the sound of wind/air rushing around the body while one jumps. The Japanese love to have sound-words associated with movements (for example, when your stomach is empty/you're hungry, they say it's 'pekopeko'; balls rolling are going 'korokoro'.) The English language has the same too (onomatopoeia) but I think Japanese has more of them (and the more fluent you are, the more likely you'll understand what they are.)

Going back to Shoma, I really love his very unassuming attitude. :)

Hahah but aye, the difference it makes between 'Fu' and 'Shu'....
Maybe 'Fu' is better for 3As and 'Shu' is for Quads? Difference in the quality of jump and air gushing past :yay:

Haha love Team Japan! :cheer:

yhmafan

Medalist
I think "Fuu" and "shuu" are merely onomatopoeic words (in Japanese) to describe the sound of flying (or jumping into the air) aka there's no real special meaning to it. I surmise it mostly has something to do with the sound of wind/air rushing around the body while one jumps. The Japanese love to have sound-words associated with movements (for example, when your stomach is empty/you're hungry, they say it's 'pekopeko'; balls rolling are going 'korokoro'.) The English language has the same too (onomatopoeia) but I think Japanese has more of them (and the more fluent you are, the more likely you'll understand what they are.)

Going back to Shoma, I really love his very unassuming attitude. :)

Thanks for clarification of the thing as SuzyQ has mentioned in her comment “Japanese onomatopoeia”

Still I guess and wonder how many skaters would answer just only “shu” or “fu” when they are asked the way of jumping for a advice
as I am interested in the kind of people’s train of thoughts :cool:

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
I'm absolutely impressed by Shoma this season. And even more impressed from what've done between GP series and nationals. First time I noticed him was last season during JGP and I really liked him during WJC. I thought he could be really good and after summer, when I read the information he lands quad toe. I believed he could make it to the final. But I really didn't think he could win with such a performance!!!His FP in GPF was one of the highlights of the final. And the Nationals...I'm saying again, I liked him last year but that was unexpected for me. Even during junior grand prix he had problems with landing his 3A. And he came to nationals, landed quads and also 3A like it's nothing!!!!I'm impressed, he's stunning. He's small but I don't care, Daisuke or Nobunari not many Japanase male figure skaters are tall but nobody really cares because of their beatiful skating. Shoma's interpretation is someting incredible for his age. Give him some 2-3 years and he will be very dangerous for Yuzuru. I don't remember when was the last time I saw such a talent. This boy will be next star of the world figure skating.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I'm so happy for Shoma's Silver at Nationals. I think we will see him on the podium for many years to come.
My only hope is that next year he can get more 'interesting' programs that can highlight his amazing musicality and skating.
This year, his polish and his consistency have been what is great to watch about him. -But how much more awesome would it be, if he had a program and music that highlights all his best points?
JMO. :cheer::cheer:

What do you all think Shoma should skate to next season?

Adeliza

Rinkside
What do you all think Shoma should skate to next season?

Somehow I can imagine him skating to tango music, or something similar (maybe just because of the intensity of his facial expressions on ice :biggrin: but I think he could really pull off a tango program). Another thing I'd really like to see him try is skate to some very delicate music so that he'd maybe have to challenge himself more - I believe he hasn't done many of those kind of programs (correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't been following his career for long). I just hope he won't skate to any of the overused pieces, POTO, Carmen etc. like most of Team Japan this season.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Somehow I can imagine him skating to tango music, or something similar (maybe just because of the intensity of his facial expressions on ice :biggrin: but I think he could really pull off a tango program). Another thing I'd really like to see him try is skate to some very delicate music so that he'd maybe have to challenge himself more - I believe he hasn't done many of those kind of programs (correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't been following his career for long). I just hope he won't skate to any of the overused pieces, POTO, Carmen etc. like most of Team Japan this season.

Summer 2015. Shoma Unno announces his FS music which is .............POTO. Yuzuru Hanyu announcing he keeps his LP POTO and Takahito Mura too. In addition Takahiko Kozuka decides to unite with team Japan and will skate to POTO too

:rofl:

jimeonji

Final Flight

For 2012-2013 season his SP was to 'Tanguera' which is basically tango: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RF73NXdNks
He did it as his ex last season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idzi8ns1Ta0
I quite like the program. I think it would be nice to see him skate to tango again though, now that he's older.

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker

How about Johann Strauss' Annen Polka? ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO1UpNJ-H7A

Watching Veinna Philharmonic New Year Concert on TV the other day, Sota Yamamoto came to my mind first then changed my mind, 'Shoma should try it as his SP for a change!' I thought.
I know waltz as skating music is hard to pull off, because for single skaters it may hinder the timing for jumps in particular, but I wonder why not so many skaters would pick something from Strauss or Mozart; simply a treasure house of great music! For the same matter, I have always wanted Mao to skate to Strauss' Blue Danube Waltz as her LP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1WYKFpDn1s With Mao's airy jumps, no doubt it should be a heavenly program, don't you think?! :love:

firal

Record Breaker
Shoma was part of the Nagoya festival ice show yesterday in Japan. There's an interview with him and Rika Hongo. He mentioned that he started training as usual right away on Januaray 1st! ;)

According to twitter he tried 4S today but fell...working on another jump already!

yhmafan

Medalist
I have always wanted Mao to skate to Strauss' Blue Danube Waltz as her LP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1WYKFpDn1s With Mao's airy jumps, no doubt it should be a heavenly program, don't you think?! :love:

I agree on that. It would be great to watch.

About shoma’s skating, for me, it looks like he is swimming on the ice, every time I see his jumps,
that reminds me of the dolphin jumps up from the water surface, springing with energy. In my eyes He is already the one gorgeous skater.

and thank you for the link firal.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2etqkv_150116-interview_sport
New interview with Shoma.
He wants to win Gold at the Olympics...of course. :biggrin:
He sees the score gap between him and Hanyu as evidence that he needs to improve in all areas.
He is mostly embarrassed with the extra attention he gets at school.
He thinks he has made the most progress in the last year, getting the 3A and 4T.

Overall, he seems like a really shy kid, but what TALENT!

jimeonji

Final Flight
thank you for the overview, Newbiespectator! He certainly is dreaming big now that he sees that he has the jumps and the ability to compete with the seniors. I'm really enjoying this new confidence from him, I think it shows both off and on the ice (though on the ice he already had this certainty about his movements, which I love). I really hope he places at 4CC, it's doable, I think, and it would be so big for him on his way to seniors next season.

firal

Record Breaker
From the interview he is coming across as a really humble and hardworking athlete. To me he seems to be handling the attention and expectation well. I will be cheering for him for the rest of the season and looking forward to his senior debut next season!

yuzulia14

Rinkside
Hi! I would just like to say that I really like Shoma's FS this season, and for that I kind of watched his videos in Nagoya TV Cup, GPF and Japanese Nationals and I wondered why does he tend to change his jumps and jumps layout (he had 2 quads for JGP events, only one in GPF & Nationals, among other things, IIRC)?
I think it's kind of amazing how he does these things because other skaters use the same jumps and layout all throughout the season. And for that I'm an instant fan :)cheer:) and looking forward that he'll be able to challenge Hanyu, Chan and the others in the senior division later this year (assuming he will be officially going Senior after (winning! :cheer2:) Junior worlds).
(Also, my first post goes to him! Go Shoma! :party:)

ioanna

Record Breaker
I wondered why does he tend to change his jumps and jumps layout (he had 2 quads for JGP events, only one in GPF & Nationals, among other things, IIRC)?
I think it's kind of amazing how he does these things because other skaters use the same jumps and layout all throughout the season. And for that I'm an instant fan :)cheer:)
He used to do 2 quads in the FS because he couldn't land the 3A. As for changing the layout, there are different requirements for juniors and seniors so he had to adjust the programs.

yuzulia14

Rinkside
He used to do 2 quads in the FS because he couldn't land the 3A. As for changing the layout, there are different requirements for juniors and seniors so he had to adjust the programs.

Thank you for the info! I like the layout and timing of the jumps of the JGP final version. :)

ioanna

Record Breaker
Thank you for the info! I like the layout and timing of the jumps of the JGP final version. :)

Yes, those are the original programs. You can tell the senior versions have been altered around and the choreography had to suffer.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
http://shoma-uno.tumblr.com/
A better translation of the interview has been posted on this tumblr blog.
Most Shoma fans probably already know about it. :biggrin:

Thanks I missed this interview! :)

Shoma is certainly motivated to succeed. He is a smart young man, with a good team He knows that the
second mark is very important. Don't worry Shoma the 2nd mark will come with time.