Thread: Wagner and Suzuki underscored?

Hybrid View

Wagner and Suzuki underscored?

Why have both been underscored in pcs when both are fluid enchanting complete skaters?

Any feedback most appreciated. What can these ladies hope for in saitama should they skate well?? I was very disappointed to see the judges in Sochi not appreciating Ashley ...technically she's not the best but she is as beautiful an artist on ice as anyone for me. I hope we can have room for two top ladies. But I fear Ashley has hit a ceiling technically and artistically. Thoughts?

Custom Title
    For Ashley, everyone always says she needs a reliable combo so I guess mastering one can help. (3F+3T or 2A+3T looked quite doable for her)

Another thing - perhaps she can try out David Wilson? I always felt her choreo is awkward and doesn't play to her strength. Some refinement in moves and smarter layout for points could help.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by usethis2 View Post
    For Ashley, everyone always says she needs a reliable combo so I guess mastering one can help. (3F+3T or 2A+3T looked quite doable for her)

Another thing - perhaps she can try out David Wilson? I always felt her choreo is awkward and doesn't play to her strength. Some refinement in moves and smarter layout for points could help.
    Um, the Romeo and Juliet program she had this season, that was a total disaster, was choreographed by David Wilson. Judging by the program he gave her, he has no clue how to bring out the best in her.

Custom Title
    Oh, lol. My bad. I had no idea.

Edit: Another thing - Maybe she should spend more time on cardio than weight-lifting? Her muscles are getting bigger but her stamina isn't. I am giving away totally unqualified advice here, lol.

You know this is the nth thread you've created about Ashley and you're going to get the same answers. She's all-round good but it's just not enough. She probably has hit her scoring ceiling and now that she's no longer the US #1 she's not going to be propped up as she has been. Her scores at Sochi were probably about right. She could have finished at most 1 place higher. Concerning her PCS, she doesn't have the greatest programs, skating skills, transitions, and her peformances come across as put on to me, like she's knows that it's lacking but then looks like she's trying too hard. I think Akiko getting low-balled on PCS has a lot to do with her inconsistency.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    I guess the question is...will anything change or is Ashley just Ashley.

Akiko is someone you want to see do well. At least me. Can Ashley get people to feel the same about her again outside of the fan base she already has? If so how? A lot of the girls at my rink when talking about Ashley say...meh. A year or two ago that wasn't the case.

I'm holding out hope for both but I would expect Akiko to finish higher. If Radinova hadn't fallen and Sotnikova had skated like she did at Euro's ..Ashley would have been 5th at GPF. That's fairly grim if you stop and think about it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyanydots View Post
    You know this is the nth thread you've created about Ashley and you're going to get the same answers. She's all-round good but it's just not enough. She probably has hit her scoring ceiling and now that she's no longer the US #1 she's not going to be propped up as she has been. Her scores at Sochi were probably about right. She could have finished at most 1 place higher. Concerning her PCS, she doesn't have the greatest programs, skating skills, transitions, and her peformances come across as put on to me, like she's knows that it's lacking but then looks like she's trying too hard. I think Akiko getting low-balled on PCS has a lot to do with her inconsistency.
    I don't think she has necessarily hit her ceiling but she needs to expand and grow - develop. Seh can still develop more difficult and consistent combos as well as spins. And artisitcally there is huge room for her to grow. As for suzuki I think part of the problem whil she is lovely to watch she doesn't stand out really - sort of like Ashley. Not to b mean but not everyone sticks out like Cohen, Baiul, even Bobek - not perfect but they had something that kept you mesmorized. Both Akiko and Ashley also are not no. 1 in their countries - but if Ashley wins a medal and Gold doesn't watch that change lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jennyanydots View Post
    umm, er where are this threads nth threads. I see beautiful presentation and great ss. Gracie is new us lady num. 1 so Ashley's pcs goes down. For gorgeous skating there was mao, caro, yuna and Ashley. and akiko thrown in. Why do judges punish Ashley-everone in top ten skates with more beauty than sot at her best. The sochi coring mess I have said little about. Julia was so held up-I was sad really.

Am I the only one who sees her portrayal of black swan and Delilah as first class. Ashley is dynamic. Who cares about occasional two foot when she is so fluid. Love grace but she's wooden in comparison. I think the nationals mess hurt her intl judging. I pray she wins a wc before shes done-she works so hard. Show skating I hope she will really develop in, if it exists in future

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    I would like to see Ashley return to Phillip Mills. He seems to know how to create programs that suite her. I know he was kind of sketchy with his tweeting when she chose to go with Shea Lynn Bourne and David Wilson, but I'm hoping she goes back to him. Loved her Swan Lake and Sampson programs. I am hoping she changes the entrance to her flip as well, I don't think it helps the 3T when she picks off at that angle.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    I would like to see Ashley return to Phillip Mills. He seems to know how to create programs that suite her. I know he was kind of sketchy with his tweeting when she chose to go with Shea Lynn Bourne and David Wilson, but I'm hoping she goes back to him. Loved her Swan Lake and Sampson programs. I am hoping she changes the entrance to her flip as well, I don't think it helps the 3T when she picks off at that angle.
    Personally I believe this is the last thing she should do. Ashley's season started well but the pressure was on and she folded @ US Nationals. Then she panicked and went back to Sampson & Delilah, only it was too late. It also sent a bad message and lack of confidence in herself to the judges. There was no way she was going to medal in the individual event. If she wants to improve she should try to push the envelope not look backwards. I believe the judges would respect that and respond more favorably.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    I don't think it was too late to return to S&D. I do wish she'd done it sooner. I posted somewhere else that I'd read when R&J was first proposed to her she thought "no way". She should have gone with her gut. I think she'll get her 3-3, but I'm not sure about this flip backed into a corner thing. And the flying back sit can be improved. It used to be faster. And I think she needs another position in there, perhaps rising from sit into a "Y" or something like that.
    I wish her the best. Worlds will say a lot, and what she comes out with for next year will say even more.