2014 Worlds Junior Ladies - Free Skate | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds Junior Ladies - Free Skate

Selene

On the Ice
All three girls were in their first year in juniors and Karen clearly suffered from injuries. Give them time. Better they get the experience now.

Karen had problems rotating her jumps when she was fully healthy. I don't think you can blame it all on her injury.

The problem is the US lost a lot of JGP slots with this result. So, many young American skaters are not going to get the opportunity to compete internationally next season. The JGP field was already crowded, so with the reduced number of spots, maybe the USFS will have to start sending some of the girls who have been on the JGP for a couple of seasons to Senior Bs.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Geez, you have Gracie Gold gaining consistency and Polina Edmunds amazing senior debut at the Olympics - and yet you still have to complain about the Junior Ladies not being good enough? Poor girls. Not everyone has to be a medalist in the first run.

Lovely to see Choi hit a 3Lz-3T! I love So Youn and Hae Jin too, and it's great to see that even though they might never have the huge success, Yuna has beautiful heirs.

And Elene defending her title!!! :clap::bow: This girl rocks.

Medvedevas PCS annoy me more than they did in the SP. Miyahara was robbed of the bronze medal, even if some of her jumps were UR or very close. It's not as if Medvedevas jumps were all that perfectly rotated either...

Radionova will turn senior next season, but the others probably won't. This means Russia will still have at least 4 amazing junior girls, and I really hope Medvedevas bronze medal won't push her above Proklova in the overall standings now.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Wow!!! I am stunned Dabin beat Karen :eek: Great TES Well done!!!!

Not bad Korea, 6th and 10th, not bad at all!!!
Especially consider US 8, 9, 14! Silly USFSA you had it coming!!! Should have sent Polina and let Mirai do the WC since she earned her 3rd position.

Hope Karen get better soon!!!!

Elena is looking really strong!! Has that little Russia Diva thing going on. (I hate the music and the program though)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow!!! I am stunned Dabin beat Karen :eek: Great TES Well done!!!!

Not bad Korea, 6th and 10th, not bad at all!!!
Especially consider US 8, 9, 14! Silly USFSA you had it coming!!! Should have sent Polina and let Mirai do the WC since she earned her 3rd position.

Hope Karen get better soon!!!!

Elena is looking really strong!! Very impressed.

^And this^

oleada

Record Breaker
Radionova will turn senior next season, but the others probably won't. This means Russia will still have at least 4 amazing junior girls, and I really hope Medvedevas bronze medal won't push her above Proklova in the overall standings now.
I doubt that. Proklova beat her at both nationals (junior + senior) despite finishing below her at the JGPF. It was really just an unfortunate turn of events that meant she had to miss this competition.

Great skate for the Russian girls, and overall, the dept of their team is insane. They probably could have swept the podium with Sotskova and Proklova, too. Elena, is of course, amazing as usual. I loved Serafima a lot! She is so elegant and she seems to skate really big. I hope she can work on her 2A over the summer, and get better programs, as I don't think this FS does much for her. I think Evgenia has improved a lot, particularly on her skating skills. I think she has a natural musicality.

I love Satoko's basics, but she seemed to skate really small and her lack of expression bothers me. And of course, her jumps are so tiny :(

Disaster for the US ladies; even worse than losing the JW spots is losing the JGP spots. I'm not sure sending Chen (and Omori)here was a wise decision. There's lots to love about Karen's skating, but she simply wasn't ready. Glenn & Pierce seem to be unusually weak spinners by US standards. Glenn had nice jumps in the first part of her FS, but they seemed to get smaller and lose their pop as she went on. I really hope those two can find a style that fits them, as right now their skating is pretty generic.

Impressed by Chartrand. Her skating is a little paint by the numbers, but she gets some nice height on the jumps (although her technique on the 3S & 3Lo in particular seems off).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Polina had been sent to JW, she probably would have medaled. Perhaps she was offered the opportunity and turned it down. There isn't much in it for her---she already has 517 ISU ranking points for finishing 9th at the Olympics; winning JW is worth only 500 points. If she finishes higher than 9th at Worlds, she can get more ISU points, and build up her Senior reputation. Competing again as a Junior can only work against that.

jaylee

Medalist
If Polina had been sent to JW, she probably would have medaled. Perhaps she was offered the opportunity and turned it down. There isn't much in it for her---she already has 517 ISU ranking points for finishing 9th at the Olympics; winning JW is worth only 500 points. If she finishes higher than 9th at Worlds, she can get more ISU points, and build up her Senior reputation. Competing again as a Junior can only work against that.

Yeah, but a junior worlds medal would've been nice--she's not going to medal at senior Worlds. And her placement would've helped with spots for next year's junior worlds and the JGP, whereas it's doubtful (but not impossible) that her placement will count towards getting spots for the US at next year's senior worlds.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Evgenia has grown in me this time, probably for her better presentation and projection. It also appears she has pretty good jumping technique. The slowness everyone is talking about, I can not really tell from my computer.
Satoko's jumps were barely off the ice, that "what do you expect a small person's jump" is lame, if you compare hers with Proklova, who is in fact much shorter than Stoko. She has good upper body movement, but there is some stiffness in her head/neck; same can be said to Karen Chen.
It may be too soon, I start to write Karen off: she has never mastered all the difficult jumps, and now with injuries and body change…It's even harder for her to compete with all Russian girls older and younger than her.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Russian girls will have to deal with growth and body change too, sooner or later.

Country
Russia

Polina had no real chance to Olympic medal, the same at Worlds-2014.
She never was at JrWorlds, while chance to medal was absolutely real.
Medal (which will be her for ever), podium, gala, title - does it mean nothing?

Kim, Kostner, Ando, Asada, Flatt, Wagner, Gold and others have JrWorlds medals. Why Polina not?

louisa05

Final Flight
I would not put a lot of stock in juniors--not the Russian sweep or the dismal American results. It wasn't so long ago that the U.S. swept the junior ladies podium. That didn't really lead to much success in seniors.

oleada

Record Breaker
But then, Sotnikova won junior worlds and swept the junior circuit. As did Kim & Asada. Ando, Kostner & Leonova (among others) all medaled at JW and went on to medal or win Worlds. It doesn't hurt.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Only the Russians?

The Russian girls are very, very young, a lot younger than most of their competitors. Chen is dealing with growth and body change now. So is Zijun Li. Inevitably, so will the Russian girls. It happened to Liza Tuktamysheva and she has yet to recover. It messed up Sot for two years.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Karen Chen's body type reminds me of Caroline Zhang except she is shorter and stockier

oleada

Record Breaker
The Russian girls are very, very young, a lot younger than most of their competitors. Chen is dealing with growth and body change now. So is Zijun Li. Inevitably, so will the Russian girls. It happened to Liza Tuktamysheva and she has yet to recover. It messed up Sot for two years.

Sakhanovich grew a lot over the summer and it messed with her earlier in the season. So she's certainly dealing with it. Frankly, she looks taller and more "developed (how I hate that word) than Chen, who still looks very young and like a little girl. I'm not sure if her injuries are related to growth at all.

ETA: Actually, saying the Russian girls are much younger is really not correct. Radionova is older than then Chen, Glenn, Turzynabeva & Choi; and is 2 months younger than Pierce. Medvedeva is 3 months younger than Chen and 3 weeks younger than Glenn - not exactly a significant difference. Sakhanovich is only 2 months younger than Medvedeva, and as mentioned, already hit one growth spurt. Sotskova and Proklova are both born in April 2000 - so among the youngest able to compete as juniors this year. While Proklova is absolutely tiny, Sotskova is not, as per pictures she looks to be the tallest among the Russian ladies and her jumps are of decent size.