Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 84

Thread: What have been the sketchiest wins in major international competitions recently?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    131

    What have been the sketchiest wins in major international competitions recently?

    Ranking

    1. Adelina Sotnikova's "Win" in Sochi

    2. Patrick Chan's "Win" at the 2012 World Championships


    What are your thoughts on skaters who most likely didn't deserve their gold medals?

  2. #2
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    3,657
    Never mind!!!
    Last edited by Sam-Skwantch; 03-04-2014 at 11:10 PM. Reason: This thread can't lead to anything positive

  3. #3
    Matt K
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    334
    Chan's 2013 LP - although to be fair, he did win due to the strength of the SP and was actually placed below Denis Ten in the LP.
    Sotnikova 2014 LP (Sochi)

    Davis/White- 2012 GPF, 2013 GPF SD & FD. 2014 SD & FD (PCS in FD). Sadly, after a few tight (& questionable wins), the judges saw this as momentum and put them ahead even with mistakes (2013 GPF). And the train started moving along from there.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,208
    -Sonja Henie's "win" at the 1936 Olympics
    -Sale/Pelletier's "win" at the 2001 World Championships
    -Oksana Baiul's "win" at the 1994 Olympics
    -Gordeeva/Grinkovs "win" at the 1994 Olympics
    -Grishuk/Platov's "win" at the 1994 Olympics
    -Patrick Chan's "wins" at the 2012 and 2013 World Championships
    -Ulrich Salchow's "win" at the 1902 World Championships

    THE DEAD HORSES WILL NEVER STOP GETTING BEATEN!!

    (sigh)

  5. #5
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    52
    Virtue and Moir 2010 olympics and worlds 2012 worlds and 2014 olympics (the Russians should have been ahead of them)

  6. #6
    Custom Title Silvia451's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    724
    Sotnikova Sochi
    Chan 2013 WC

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,208
    Quote Originally Posted by RiceSkate View Post
    Virtue and Moir 2010 olympics and worlds 2012 worlds and 2014 olympics (the Russians should have been ahead of them)
    I agree. I would also like to add:

    Patrick Chan, 2011 Worlds
    Volosozhar/Trankov, 2013 Worlds
    Daisuke Takahashi, 2010 Worlds
    Alexei Yagudin, 2002 Olympics
    Michelle Kwan, 2003 Worlds
    Yu-Na Kim, 2010 Olympics
    Shen/Zhao, 2003 Worlds

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Falling-again!-at an ice rink near you!
    Posts
    2,235
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    -Sonja Henie's "win" at the 1936 Olympics
    -Sale/Pelletier's "win" at the 2001 World Championships
    -Oksana Baiul's "win" at the 1994 Olympics
    -Gordeeva/Grinkovs "win" at the 1994 Olympics
    -Grishuk/Platov's "win" at the 1994 Olympics
    -Patrick Chan's "wins" at the 2012 and 2013 World Championships
    -Ulrich Salchow's "win" at the 1902 World Championships

    THE DEAD HORSES WILL NEVER STOP GETTING BEATEN!!

    (sigh)
    Add me to that sigh.

    What did that song say? Oh yeah. LET IT GO.


  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    I agree. I would also like to add:

    Patrick Chan, 2011 Worlds
    Volosozhar/Trankov, 2013 Worlds
    Daisuke Takahashi, 2010 Worlds
    Alexei Yagudin, 2002 Olympics
    Michelle Kwan, 2003 Worlds
    Yu-Na Kim, 2010 Olympics
    Shen/Zhao, 2003 Worlds
    Some of these are legendary performances. Chan, I believe, skated 2 clean programs at 2011 Worlds. Ditto Kim in 2010. Those are widely viewed as the best performances in each skater's career. Kwan in '03, V/T in '13, and Yagudin in '02 were also clean. What was sketchy about those wins?

    Also isn't 2003 peak Shen/Zhao?

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,791
    Quote Originally Posted by amc987 View Post
    Some of these are legendary performances. Chan, I believe, skated 2 clean programs at 2011 Worlds. Ditto Kim in 2010. Those are widely viewed as the best performances in each skater's career. Kwan in '03, V/T in '13, and Yagudin in '02 were also clean. What was sketchy about those wins?

    Also isn't 2003 peak Shen/Zhao?
    These programs greatness demanded investigations of steroid use

  11. #11
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by amc987 View Post
    Some of these are legendary performances. Chan, I believe, skated 2 clean programs at 2011 Worlds. Ditto Kim in 2010. Those are widely viewed as the best performances in each skater's career. Kwan in '03, V/T in '13, and Yagudin in '02 were also clean. What was sketchy about those wins?

    Also isn't 2003 peak Shen/Zhao?
    I believe OP was being facetious.

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    857
    Quote Originally Posted by amc987 View Post
    Some of these are legendary performances. Chan, I believe, skated 2 clean programs at 2011 Worlds. Ditto Kim in 2010. Those are widely viewed as the best performances in each skater's career. Kwan in '03, V/T in '13, and Yagudin in '02 were also clean. What was sketchy about those wins?

    Also isn't 2003 peak Shen/Zhao?
    It's pretty obvious he\she is making fun of someone else post claiming some of V\M great wins were questionable to anyone,

    Personally i'd only go with 2010 Olympics as something that would kinda make sense as controversial, 'Cose of home field, But it really wasn't.

  13. #13
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    21
    I personally felt D/W should have at least won the FD at 2012 WC, even if they didn't win overall. Die Fledermaus was possibly their best choreographed/performed program of their career (I actually prefer it to Scheherazade).

    I was fine with the 2010 result. Enamored with the Indian-themed OD and felt they should have won that portion, but I'm fine with V/M taking home a deserved gold.

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,124
    Patrick Chan at Skate Canada where he won with four falls

    Pretty much quite a number of Chan's wins were pretty dodgy.

    Mind you, I'm well aware this is just another whinging thread designed for people to keep banging on their rubbish about the ladies' result in Sochi...

  15. #15
    Custom Title EricRohmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    206
    poor Chan. lol

    BTW, I think that his 12&13WC wins (that I think both deserve) will be accepted more well in the future.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •