Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: "The Prometheus: Why Patrick Chan Means More for Figure Skating History Than Plushenko"

Quote Originally Posted by Nadya View Post
    The whole article is about three things:

1. I, too, know important people in figure skating.
    2. I am very intelligent and read books!
    3. Damn, this cannabis is QUALITY!

Custom Title
    Somewhere over the rainbow where blue birds fly
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadya View Post
    The whole article is about three things:

1. I, too, know important people in figure skating.
    2. I am very intelligent and read books!
    3. Damn, this cannabis is QUALITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    2026 huh? Like a free skate full of quad, even the quad axel? Human body also has its limit please, I don't have the desire to see cyborg jumping you know.
    No, I just mean in 2002 we saw 25 quads. Twelve years later -- hooray for us! -- there were 25 quads. In another 12 years, who knows? Maybe we will be back to 25 once again.

Slightly off-topic, but in the spirit of, out with the old, in with the new, I noticed that in the Golden Skate Fan Fest section Hanyu has now passed Chan (181 pages to 176) and s gaining on Yuna Kim (188).

Custom Title
    As far as i'm concerned i'd rather see some clean skates then skater after skater falling on his *** trying quads. Sochi was a disaster for the Men.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    As far as i'm concerned i'd rather see some clean skates then skater after skater falling on his *** trying quads. Sochi was a disaster for the Men.
    And that is the main reason I watch the ladies

Every discipline has its appeals and drawbacks. This article highlights what makes mens skating both appealing and unappealing these days.

Custom Title
    I still don't get what makes it appealing though? They have none of the artistry or performance appeal of the ladies (and no, plushenko, never had this), and they have the tricks, yes, but most of them struggle with them and even when they don't the quad jumps aren't exactly aesthetically pleasing (Hanyu and Chan may be the exceptions). But even with Hanyu and Chan, there's just still no appreciable stage presence there. I certainly hope that these next four years help them with that, as they'll be more mature by then.

Custom Title
    They're maximizing points. That doesn't always lead to appealing performances. When you kind of know in the back of your mind that you can fall and still win (as you can in this system), it's not a great motivator to turn out a clean performance.

Do we really believe that if Chan was actually judged properly for his splatty performances in the past, he wouldnt have actually worked on his axel and tried to clean it up? Chan is as much a calculator as anyone, he does what he does to maximize his own points given the state of judging.

Custom Title
    I am a fan of Patrick Chan's. I was very disappointed in his skate at the Olympics and I find it rather disgusting that people tee off on him on this board. BUT - freedom of speech and all. Regardless of the fact that Tarasova is pretty full of herself, much of what she said I'm in agreement with - especially the difference between Plushenko's skate and Lysacek's skate in Vancouver. And I do think Patrick changed everyone's way of thinking in that the jump wasn't the focus. Good skating should be the focus and that includes spins, footwork and moves in the field. Patrick has all that but just can't seem to skate it clean. I would MUCH prefer to see clean skates. But barring that (which seems all of a sudden to be the norm) I would rather see beautiful choreography and smooth skating than just quads!!! In my opinion the jumps shouldn't be the be-all and end-all of a program. The emphasis on the quad has been dastardly to some male figure skaters and certainly gave us a crappy men's free skate in Sochi. I think there should be more of a penalty for falling than there is. Giving partial credit for rotations is counter-intuitive in my mind. Many can rotate, few can land. Why be rewarded for something you really can't do???? Because if you could really do it in competition it would be more than just rotations. Give some credit to a two-footed landing because at least you "completed" the jump and didn't fall on your butt.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post
    I still don't get what makes it appealing though? They have none of the artistry or performance appeal of the ladies (and no, plushenko, never had this), and they have the tricks, yes, but most of them struggle with them and even when they don't the quad jumps aren't exactly aesthetically pleasing (Hanyu and Chan may be the exceptions). But even with Hanyu and Chan, there's just still no appreciable stage presence there. I certainly hope that these next four years help them with that, as they'll be more mature by then.
    I agree with this. While I have nothing against the sport's advance, but unless done exceptionally well a quad can look flat because skaters often slow down to control their bodies before take-off, which results in slow landing flow. I am sure they all try to improve, though.

Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Regardless of the fact that Tarasova is pretty full of herself, much of what she said I'm in agreement with - especially the difference between Plushenko's skate and Lysacek's skate in Vancouver.
    Tarasova exactly said: Plushenko should have won. Lysacek's SP scores were huliganism.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    This was too long for me to read without falling asleep. Patrick Chan was a victim of his nerves and too much pressure to be the first Canadian Male to win Gold at the Olympics. End of story.

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    This was too long for me to read without falling asleep. Patrick Chan was a victim of his nerves and too much pressure to be the first Canadian Male to win Gold at the Olympics. End of story.
    Sad but true.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    very true. too sad for him. i wanna hope he'll have another chance

I think you guys are missing the point of the writer and what he means when he calls Patrick Chan a Prometheus.

It means that the way that Patrick Chan set the direction of Men's figure skating in this most recent Olympic cycle refocused it on demonstrating great basics besides just having strong jumps. The article also mentioned that Chan additionally inadvertently set up his own undoing, by way of the very talented Yuzuru Hanyu who studied Chan's strengths and also worked on great basics + jumps.

Meanwhile, the writer points out that early genius Plushenko was capable of doing the same but that in his pragmatic quest for victories, he, along with Mishin, betrayed their true ideals of the sport ("jumps as extensions of glides") and "stripped" down his later performances. The writer admires the struggle and imperfection of striving for well-rounded excellence rather than a clean empty product, hence his appreciation of Chan and Hanyu despite their mistakes at the Olympics.

I thought the article had very interesting insights and makes me respect Mishin as a coach even more.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast