Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Improvement Thread: Your Ideas

Bored

The Improvement Thread: Your Ideas

Have ideas how to make figure skating better, more exciting, more honest, more popular etc., etc.? Please, share!

When I started the technology thread a few days ago, I got an impression that a thread for other great but technology non-related idea tossing is needed here
    Except if it is about purely technological innovation, please send it to this specialized thread:
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...kating-Imagine
    Also, if you have started or found here other specialized idea threads or have posted you best ideas elsewhere, please simply add a link!

Banned
    moar twizzles

everyone should have to do them

minimum of five sets per program

plus we get to say the word twizzle more

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperinflation View Post
    moar twizzles

everyone should have to do them

minimum of five sets per program

plus we get to say the word twizzle more

Uhm, how about another vodka shot and twizzling out?

No offense. Just thinking aloud

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    I would like to see more behind the scenes/personal stories on the skaters during broadcasts. NHL does a show on HBO leading up to the winter classic and camera crews film both teams from the locker rooms and do personal interviews leading up to the big game. They use footage from and do quick recaps of the game highlights along the way. It's very interesting to watch the season from two points of view unfolding and leading to an ultimate showdown between the personalities you just familiarized yourself in a whole new light. It puts a new face on an old game and fosters genuine respect towards both teams.

Not sure if coaches would allow it but it would be interesting to see an hour long special or even two specials leading into GPF,Nationals, and Worlds. Showing their progress and stumbles along the way. I'm fascinated to see what makes these athletes tick and gain insight into their worlds of somewhat isolation. Maybe it's just me.

Custom Title
    Well the obvious answer is make anonymous judging no more. Judges should have their scores and skewed scores catalogued. Any transgressions or apparent bias should be noted and the stats should be easily accessible by the general public. Every single judge should be able to say "I gave this mark for this skater" and not hide behind random selections.

Recaps and highlights would be nice. Although I can picture networks showing bias towards their own skaters while pointing out the flaws in others.

That counter was huge help, along with the 2nd half bonus notification. It's stuff like this that allows the general public to see that skaters are getting points for the things they do and aren't just being arbitrarily marked.

Tripping on the Podium
    I'd like to see a limit to how many jumps can receive a bonus in the FS and I'd like to eliminate the bonus for second half jumps in the short programs. I would also like to see a bigger penalty for falls. As as been said above I'd like to see the end of anonymous judging. Finally I wish that lyrics were not going to be allowed. I don't enjoy hearing music with lyrics in other languages and since it would be totally rude and unfair to have all skaters using english lyrics, I know I'll have trouble relating to foreign language lyrics.

Medalist
    Move the decimal point to the left a place.

Smaller point differences between skaters are more exciting for casual viewers. Gracie said after the SP in Sochi that she was "only a triple lutz away from Yuna Kim." For the devoted fans and skaters themselves, that distance between skaters is the same whether the triple lutz is worth 6 points or 0.60 points. But for the casual fan watching the Olympics just because they saw Gracie Gold on Sports Illustrated and who can't tell a triple lutz apart from the other jumps, a 6-tenths difference is a whole lot more exciting than a 6-point difference.

That's one of the reasons why, as a casual fan of Summer Olympic sports, I found gymnastics more exciting than diving.
    Plus, casual fans always consider figure skating to be the winter counterpart of gymnastics, where scores are usually in the 14.XXX-15.XXX range. Seeing a ladies long program score 13.XXX or mens score 17.XXX seems more relatable than 13X.XX or 17X.XX.

Best comeback EVOR! zamboni step's Avatar
    Make everyone go to Rohene Ward or Camerlengo/Krylova. That is all.

Custom Title
    I think some of the new judging system needs to be overhauled. I think a fall should have more deductions. I think an under-rotated quad should not get points for the rotation that is completed. And I think all those ridiculously silly spins need to be rethought. Some of the positions are just butt-ugly and they ruin the flow of the piece.

I don't see that removing anonymity from the judges would do much to improve the overall judging. Maybe they shouldn't have anyone judging the long program in any discipline that has a skater in the top 10!

Best comeback EVOR! zamboni step's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    I think some of the new judging system needs to be overhauled. I think a fall should have more deductions. I think an under-rotated quad should not get points for the rotation that is completed. And I think all those ridiculously silly spins need to be rethought. Some of the positions are just butt-ugly and they ruin the flow of the piece.

I don't see that removing anonymity from the judges would do much to improve the overall judging. Maybe they shouldn't have anyone judging the long program in any discipline that has a skater in the top 10!
    So firstly, we bring back the pre-2010-2011 season rotation policy which was ridiculously strict. Then we make it so the difficulty in spins is less important. And then we have judges from Iraq and Fiji come in who might have never seen an ice rink come in and judge. No offense but I disagree with these ideas, I agree spin positions that are aesthetically pleasing need to be rewarded over those that are not but not by ridding the world of most difficult variations. Rotation is too strictly punished as it is. And the ISU should select impartial judges itself, not leave the federation to tell them who they're picking. In other words the ISU needs to man/woman up and tell the federation they're in charge. Not Speedy though, Speedy needs to go home.

New suggestion- Speedy takes a long nap and leaves FS alone.

#TeamAUS
    I think that they should display live:
    1. The technical panel's ranking of the skater's base value
    2. judge's ranking based on GOE
    3. The ranking of the program components

Sort of like old times but no ordinals just rankings.

That would be interesting to see those results when the covers are off in the moment of competition.

With lyrics, it should be allowed as we have to accept that there is a younger generation who we need to appeal to BUT there should be strict conditions and guidelines and if a skater uses songs with lyrics poorly, there should be a deduction im components and a madatory music violation deduction.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
    That's one of the reasons why, as a casual fan of Summer Olympic sports, I found gymnastics more exciting than diving.
    Umm.. I am not sure about that. Gymnastics scores are as nonsensical to casual viewers as skating's or diving's. Gymnastics are probably more exciting because there are more glorified/sexualized bodies and make-ups, prolonged performances and indoor atmosphere, and chances to see disasters, etc. Compared to diving and gymnastics, figure skating's score system is quite a bit more complex to casual viewers.

Banned
    Obviously the judging situation has to be cleared up. It's always been somewhat corrupt, but it's gotten absurd to the point of almost no return.

Banned
    Gracie said after the SP in Sochi that she was "only a triple lutz away from Yuna Kim."
    omg this girl

and a thin strip of water separates alaska from russia

On the Ice
    Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski are the only commentators allowed from now on. They're informative, interesting, funny, fashionable, and fun to listen to...their commentary throughout the Olympics trumped anything that Scott Hamilton and friends were able to manage. IMO.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast