The Improvement Thread: Your Ideas | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The Improvement Thread: Your Ideas

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here are some thoughts: The TES score should count more (10%, maybe?) in the short program and the PCS score should count more in the long. Falls should be penalized by 2 points in the long program, to take into account the effect of a fall on overall performance. PCS should be simplified and weighted towards presentation. Skating skills and transitions are hybrids--part tech, part execution. I think skating skills should be a factor in scoring footwork since there seems to be some overlap (TES). Or make it a technical mark of 2 with a +1/-1 factor. The choreography mark is the most pointless and nebulous. Choreo is what it is. The mark should, logically, never change for the same program. And it isn't even the skater's doing, in most cases. I would get rid of it altogether. I am not a transitions mark fan, either. Maybe it should just be part of the short program, since it includes technical elements.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For Anna K: Not quite on dive scoring.

Each particular dive has a degree of difficulty (DD). The DD has nothing whatsoever to do with the scoring of the dive. A low DD dive can score 9's and 10's for execution, while a higher DD dive can score 6's. So the "GOE" awarded for the dive has nothing to do with how difficult it is. There is some formula by which the "GOE" of the dive is multiplied by the DD (or something like that), and that is what the dive scores.

My point is that there is a consensus among judges concerning the quality of dives. It is so consistent that a knowledgeable commentator can look at a dive and understand how the dive will score with a great deal of accuracy. You just don't usually see cases where half a panel of judges scores a dive an "8" and the other half scores it "5."

Not so in figure skating, where I'm sure we'll all aware of instances in which a jump has earned GOE ranging from -1 to +3. One judge ranks it below average, and one says it was magnificent. There doesn't appear to be a consensus among judges about what level of quality deserves which score.

Anna K.

Final Flight
Country
Latvia
One more reason to invent sensors on skates: I just realised that would result in banning those annoying leggings-over-boots :yay: because, you know, that might affect the precision of measurements!

I'm so glad I've found an argument for at least a minor costume reform. I's a shame there have been no costume improvement ideas thus far!

But of course, technologies go first :)

Rhodium

On the Ice
I think that maximum number of spots for one Federation at Worlds and Olympics should be increased to 5. At the same time the EU should constitute united Federation. 5 spots are quite enough for the European countries in any discipline. It would be interesting to see 5 Japanese men, or 5 Russian and American ladies at the competition.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think that maximum number of spots for one Federation at Worlds and Olympics should be increased to 5. At the same time the EU should constitute united Federation. 5 spots are quite enough for the European countries in any discipline. It would be interesting to see 5 Japanese men, or 5 Russian and American ladies at the competition.

At best, that sounds like a really lopsided approach. At worst, it seems extremely very biased. What's your rationale -- have you really thought this through? The result would be greatly diminished opportunities for European skaters on the world stage. I imagine the outcry from EU countries would be huge.

There are broader implications for the Olys: what about EU countries in other sports? Are you proposing to create an EU team for speed skating, skiing, luge, etc? :scratch:

Anna K.

Final Flight
Country
Latvia

Uhm, so what about Russia joining EU? Is it sure that will never happen? ;)

Myself, I'd rather vote for only one participant from each country in each discipline for Worlds and OG. That way, more contries could participate, the annoying one-country podium would never happen, and GP events would cause greater interest :)

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Sure, that could happen someday :) But I guess until then FS will no longer be a sport because global warming has melted all the ice on this planet, even the artificial one.

YLFan

Match Penalty
Lower age requirement for Olympics.

Lower age requirement for GP. In modern skating the girls are getting good younger and shouldn't be held down.

Let teams use whatever skaters they want in the team competition regardless of who they have choosen with their spots for the individual competion.

One country shouldn't be able to have the GP final and Worlds in the same season. Only one major final event per country per year.

America should start acting like other countries actually exist and help promote foreign skaters and encourage to perfom here.

Alba

Record Breaker

Thank god FS is not in your hand then. You make Cinquanta look like an innovator. :laugh:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Myself, I'd rather vote for only one participant from each country in each discipline for Worlds and OG. That way, more contries could participate, the annoying one-country podium would never happen, and GP events would cause greater interest :)

No. Just no. The best and most deserving skaters need to be at these events. Watch the first couple groups of Euros and you'll see what you'd get. This is a terrible idea. Do you even consider how much talent would be swept aside and wasted while other skaters with obvious ceilings in talent would be pushed up in the rankings. I just don't get this line of thinking?

Alisa

On the Ice
There are so many talented Russian girls right now and I was thinking, maybe some rule like: if there are 3 skaters at Worlds from the same country and they all place within the top 8, then they could get a 4th Worlds slot for next year. Or maybe a different number than in the top 8, I was just thinking that so many of the Russian girls are extremely talented and I hope they can get more opportunities to compete internationally.

Alba

Record Breaker
P.S. The whole interview is worth reading if anyone hasn't already.

Thank you for the link. :)
Very interesting indeed and it confirms the idea that I always had about how the judges operate.

2. Personality (if you can’t remember a skater’s performance after 5 minutes… he/she doesn’t have any personality).

So how do they mark this? Wait for 5 minutes before knowing he/she have any personality?:biggrin:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Dream list for the sport in 2 Olympics time.

1. Separation between federation and judges. Judges should not represent federation interest, there must be clearer separation of the two.

2. Judges should be a paid profession, with penalties and incentives for quality of judging. Incompetence should be noted, penalized while high quality should be awarded.

3. Dissolving federations or lowering federation power. Skaters world wide should form their own union. Skaters should have more control over their own destiny instead of fighting politics, internally and externally that has nothing to do with their performance on ice. Dissolving federations will resolve most of the politics in this sport.

4. ISU power - get rid of speedy, get rid of anyone who stayed in power in the ISU for more than 2 terms = 8 years like any presidency, that include the technical chairman who has been in power since 2002 Salt Lake City, who is the vice president of Russia federation and who is responsible for making incorrect technical calls on many Russian skaters particularly on the flutz, levels, who also wrote most of the rules which prevent people challenge him.

5. Ombudsman for the judges, some sort of quality control and check to really penalize, rationalise and calibrate judging panels between each competitions to iron out any biases, home advantages and false benchmarking/inflation.

6. Get rid of anonymous judging. Greater accountability and transparency.

7. More updated technology to accumulate stats and facts on athletic performance. Distance, heights, speed, torque, power, strength, coverage etc.

8. The sport should be more inclusive and encourage participation of smaller federations skaters, the power should not be held by the major 4.

9. Skaters should have greater control of their destiny and assignment spots, rather than rely on federations power/goodwill. Appraised according to performance not nationality. Kind of like Tennis or even golf.