Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 77

Thread: Are Spins Underscored and Undervalued in Figure Skating?

  1. #61
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    150
    Ithink Lipnitskaya still isn't better than Czisny... she did awesome spins and combos... other strong spinner is Viktoria Helgesson.. the fastest layback! she can get the level 4 for only for the speed.. without a big variation

  2. #62
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    2,844
    Czisny was better in different ways but she was also one of my favorites so its clear I'm a spin enthusiast! I spent some time in BG so I'm very familiar with her work. @Gkelly posted a gem in a thread I started that celebrated obscure videos from past World Championships. Check out this one of Nathalie Kreig from 1992 WC's if you enjoy spins and pure spunk!! It's great seeing the judges get booed.

    http://youtu.be/B9dsRFarP1A

    Thanks again @gkelly

    Please post your own videos or just come watch some classics here:

    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...eos&highlight=

  3. #63
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Czisny was better in different ways but she was also one of my favorites so its clear I'm a spin enthusiast! I spent some time in BG so I'm very familiar with her work. @Gkelly posted a gem in a thread I started that celebrated obscure videos from past World Championships. Check out this one of Nathalie Kreig from 1992 WC's if you enjoy spins and pure spunk!! It's great seeing the judges get booed.

    http://youtu.be/B9dsRFarP1A

    Thanks again @gkelly

    Please post your own videos or just come watch some classics here:

    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...eos&highlight=
    Ouch... 4.0! That must be one of the widest ranges I've seen. I mean, yeah her jumps weren't very good but the spins were wonderful (so many layback variations!).

  4. #64
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    2,844

    What on earth is Lipnitskaya up to?

    The buzz around town is that Yulia is working on a new spin for next season. What could it possible be and where will it go. She is going to have to replace one in order to keep her layout full of 3's. So what do you think? Will she drop a spin and replace it. If so which one? What will it look like? Consider this.....Eteri is very accustomed to her spin capabilities and even she said she was wowed.

    My guess......were going to see a variation of her flying camel where she puts her head down by her foot like at the end of her spiral in the FS this season. A spinning spiral I guess that eventually leads to a Biellman. I really can't think of anything else. Anyone care to take a guess?

  5. #65
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    2,844
    Thought about making a new thread but we have enough of those so....to keep this relevant will it be undervalued?

  6. #66
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    3,968
    I believe spins are undervalued in terms of executing a great spin. The +GOE values should really be increased and the base value differences should be decreased. Spins, in terms of their technical value, should primarily be about speed, centering, and clean lines.

  7. #67
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    2,844
    That seems to be the consensus here. GOE is given too freely for average and poor spins. If my memory serves correct.....Caro's final spin at worlds was worth 4.5 while Yulia's I-spin was worth 5.0. That seems crazy to me and equal to giving Yulia +3 and +2 GOE for her lutz jump.

  8. #68
    tripping on the toe pick
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    I believe spins are undervalued in terms of executing a great spin. The +GOE values should really be increased and the base value differences should be decreased. Spins, in terms of their technical value, should primarily be about speed, centering, and clean lines.
    I could get behind this. At the very least, no +GOE whatsoever for spins that travel and slow down while the skater tries to desperately contort him/herself in extreme positions, no matter how "valuable" those positions may be.

  9. #69
    Love popcorn, hate horrendous costumes. Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    3,120
    But it's true that some skaters are not good at spin still get good points while others who are exceptional in spin only get slightly higher points for their elements.

  10. #70
    Yulia forver! I'm on team dumped Ice Dance. Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    2,867
    Quote Originally Posted by nimi View Post
    I could get behind this. At the very least, no +GOE whatsoever for spins that travel and slow down while the skater tries to desperately contort him/herself in extreme positions, no matter how "valuable" those positions may be.
    Agreed.

  11. #71
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    The buzz around town is that Yulia is working on a new spin for next season. What could it possible be and where will it go. She is going to have to replace one in order to keep her layout full of 3's. So what do you think? Will she drop a spin and replace it. If so which one? What will it look like? Consider this.....Eteri is very accustomed to her spin capabilities and even she said she was wowed.

    My guess......were going to see a variation of her flying camel where she puts her head down by her foot like at the end of her spiral in the FS this season. A spinning spiral I guess that eventually leads to a Biellman. I really can't think of anything else. Anyone care to take a guess?
    Maybe like a candle spin, but then bending her knee down over her shoulder or head? (sort of like these: http://img8.hostingpics.net/pics/16728yanaball.jpg --- http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-B69AENE6Mg...ontortion6.jpg --- http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-xCL44HeiFx...ible+clubs.jpg)
    Or a Yuna camel that drops down to an upside-down candle spin (that'd be weird-looking I've seen something like this in rhythmic gymnastics)

  12. #72
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,887
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvYuna View Post
    Maybe like a candle spin, but then bending her knee down over her shoulder or head? (sort of like these: http://img8.hostingpics.net/pics/16728yanaball.jpg --- http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-B69AENE6Mg...ontortion6.jpg --- http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-xCL44HeiFx...ible+clubs.jpg)
    Or a Yuna camel that drops down to an upside-down candle spin (that'd be weird-looking I've seen something like this in rhythmic gymnastics)
    Uh, an upside down I-spin would be NUTS... but if anyone could do it, it's Julia. I'm excited though... when somebody like Julia Lipnitskaia tells you they're working on a new spin when she already has fabulous spins, you've got to take note!

    I'm still really impressed by Sotnikova's flying camel... I mean the mechanics of that are just sensational, and she's clearly the only one to do it (as far as I know).

  13. #73
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    3,968
    Julia's new spin is probably going to be a FCCoSp4 instead of a Layback spin in the Long Program, since the base value is worth .8 more for a change of foot combination spin.

  14. #74
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    2,844
    Could this be the new spin by Yulia?? http://vk.com/albums-31036833?z=phot...hotos-31036833

  15. #75
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Could this be the new spin by Yulia?? http://vk.com/albums-31036833?z=phot...hotos-31036833
    JFC the girl is practically a rhythmic gymnast (i think she was when she was younger)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •