Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jumping/Hopping in Ice Dance

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt K View Post

The running on toe picks/hops criticism regarding Davis/White, Coomes/Buckland et. al (at least for me anyways) is in the transitions in between the required elements. Like that cheesy part in D/W's FD right before their diagonal step sequence where they run back and forth with dramatic faces.
    Not that I think V/M's and D/W's FD are masterpieces, because they are clearly not, but I prefer V/M's much more to D/W's, not only because V/M are better skaters, but presentation. I will take any skaters whose longer run of the blade allows them to create ice coverage using few strokes vs. another team whose 50 variations of hop, run, single rotation twizzle, edge, back to toepicks, any day of the week.
    Yes. We know. You remind of us just how much Marlie suck and how wonderful Voir are about every 12 minutes or so. It's now beyond tedious.

Custom Title
    Forward jumping and hopping aside don't you think ISU should set a limit for small lifts? Chock/Bates's free dance have almost 10 small lifts. One less lift in free dance - 6 second more dancing idea never going to work If they allow high number of small lifts.

A brief movement in which both skates of one of the partners leave the ice with support by the other partner and the lifted partner is not sustained in the air shall not be considered as a Dance Lift.

On the Ice
    No, it is not the same at all to D/W, no where close. V/M SD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzUKvQBX8UI
    2:25-2:34, 2:47-2:49, 2:55-2:58 are the areas where they do short steps and most of these still look like they are on edges, and less on the flat part of the blade. For Example, Look at the feet at 3:09-3:15: this is how to do short steps on edges. Not toepicks.

D/W's SD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yStrH3MDEuk
    0:47-0:58, 1:01-1:03, 1:05-1:07, 1:27-1:28, 1:51-1:54 (entrance to twizzles), 2:15-2:18, 2:59-3:08, 3:15-3:19. These are the instances where most of the short steps look like basically just running on toepicks to get speed.

And in the FD, D/W's FD of hops, small jumps and running is way more pronounced of all the top teams. In V/M's FD, virtually all their speed is from edges. Like the original poster remarked, these things somehow get marks in PCS now, so more teams will probably be doing this from now on, especially the ones who aren't as natural or great skaters.
    Just to clarify... in no way did I compare the hopping and running of V/M with the hopping and running of D/W.

Banned
    No, it is not the same at all to D/W, no where close. V/M SD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzUKvQBX8UI
    2:25-2:34, 2:47-2:49, 2:55-2:58 are the areas where they do short steps and most of these still look like they are on edges, and less on the flat part of the blade. For Example, Look at the feet at 3:09-3:15: this is how to do short steps on edges. Not toepicks.

D/W's SD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yStrH3MDEuk
    0:47-0:58, 1:01-1:03, 1:05-1:07, 1:27-1:28, 1:51-1:54 (entrance to twizzles), 2:15-2:18, 2:59-3:08, 3:15-3:19. These are the instances where most of the short steps look like basically just running on toepicks to get speed.

And in the FD, D/W's FD of hops, small jumps and running is way more pronounced of all the top teams. In V/M's FD, virtually all their speed is from edges. Like the original poster remarked, these things somehow get marks in PCS now, so more teams will probably be doing this from now on, especially the ones who aren't as natural or great skaters.
    matt k, gurl i know you get a bad rep around here but i like you and i like that you provide examples when asked

having said that, aesthetically, i don't really mind jumping and hopping in ice dance and dare i say, it provides for a more exciting and dynamic performance when used properly. i rarely enjoy a program less because there's too much jumping and hopping. it speaks to a team's quality of skating skills a lot more than it contributes to my enjoyment (or lack thereof) of them

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2