Adult Synchro | Golden Skate

Adult Synchro

Summerkid

Rinkside
How many people out there are interested in adult synchro? I'm a member of the Windy City Skates adult team in Chicago and we're always looking for new members. What holds an adult skater back from joining a synchro team? Is it that they don't know about it at all? Think it's too difficult? Think that there is too much of a time commitment? I'm curious. Thanks for your input.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
We have a very active adult synchro team at my club - they've won national medals the last two years.

I was asked, but didn't join because I am interested in singles skating, and did not have the money to pursue both. I couldn't afford to go to both Cleveland for Sectionals/Lake Placid for AN and also Wisconsin(?) and San Diego for Synchro.

It looks like fun....maybe someday.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
I've been hedging on trying out for our local team here for the past two years. Every time they post a try out, I contact them, then don't go. It's the time committment mostly for me, but I'm also concerned about the cost.

I wouldn't want to give up my normal skating, which is about once a week, so that would end up being either two evenings a week when I'm not home, or else one evening plus a weekend day. And it's not just the practice time - it's also the driving to and from the rink, which is over an hour from my home. I already have to drive that far to get to my normal lessons, I work full time, and taking additional time away from my family just isn't fair to them or to me - I want to see them occasionally, after all.

What attracts me is the comeraderie they seem to have on the team, as well as the fun of skating.

SK8GR8

Rinkside
I think that probably the main reason that adults are hesitant to join an adult synchro team is the time/money thing. Adults usually have lots of other commitments besides skating and spending time/money on synchro means they have less of it to spend on their singles skating.

However, adult synchro is SO MUCH FUN! :love: It has improved my individual skating skills immensely, especially stroking, footwork, and other in betweens. It is such a blast hanging out with all the other women on the team. It's rare that you get the chance to have a conversation that completely revolves around skating, except when you are hanging out with the team! (we do talk about other things to, lol!) Many adult teams have the opportunity to compete at Nationals, which is fun enough to compete, but you also get to watch all the Senior teams, who are amazing! The top US senior team, the Haydenettes, placed 4th at the World Synchronized Skating Championships today! Sometimes when I am writing yet another check to the team I wonder why I am doing this--I can't afford it! But it is sooooo worth it. I would encourage every adult skater to at least check it out.

:p

Yazmeen

On the Ice
I'm a member of a very small (seven member) beginner synchro team at my rink that is just starting out. So far, I really like it. I had some trouble at first, but the coach realized she had to keep things simpler, and I'm learning a lot. Its really helped me improve my speed in general along with other skills. So far, so good!