ALL THAT Skate Ice show - May 4,5,6 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

ALL THAT Skate Ice show - May 4,5,6

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Yuna's Nessun Dorma is just over 9000.
Her spins here are must faster and more centered. I love the transitions and that layback ina bauer. She's really a ballerina on ice. And love the dress! :love:

Ven

Match Penalty
You're only saying that because you forgot Shizuka skated to that piece of music for two seasons. ;)

You're right, I'm sorry I did not read your post carefully enough. I was only talking about her Olympic season. :)

MiRé

Match Penalty
That Dress is just STUNNING :agree:. I kinda wish Yuna extended her Ina Bauer like Arakawa did in her program. It's just so graceful to watch

Barb

Record Breaker
Wow, Yuna's dress is beautiful, I wonder if is the same designer of the olympics.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She would have been lampooned for skating to it during the Olympics, especially since Arakawa won with a Nessum Dorma free skate not too long ago.

Maybe, maybe not. I think this would have been a great Olympic program. And I agree about the dress--gorgeous.

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
Really nice to see all the videos ,thank you :)
but can´t wait till video of Aljona and Bruno is up

Elistra

Rinkside
She would have been lampooned for skating to it during the Olympics, especially since Arakawa won with a Nessum Dorma free skate not too long ago.

Hear, hear! No doubt the song belongs to Arakawa, specially for an Olympic season competition program. (Think about what would happen if another lady skates to Gershwin piano concerto in F major for her Olympics -_-)

Elistra

Rinkside
Wow, Yuna's dress is beautiful, I wonder if is the same designer of the olympics.

Yeah, it's the same designer. I have to wonder why she couldn't make Yuna's dress as gorgeous as this one for her Olympics in Sochi....

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hear, hear! No doubt the song belongs to Arakawa, specially for an Olympic season competition program. (Think about what would happen if another lady skates to Gershwin piano concerto in F major for her Olympics -_-)

But Yuna is the Queen, isn't she? I'm sure she could have pulled it off. I don't think the song belongs to Arakawa. I associate it more with Shen and Zhao. Didn't they use it for the Olympics in 2002? And Yu Na was hardly the first to use the Gershwin concerto at the Olympics. Karen Magnusson used it way back in 1972 at Sapporo and Emily Hughes used it for her short program in 2006. Both of those pieces are warhorses that no one owns.

Ven

Match Penalty
Both of those pieces are warhorses that no one owns.

I wouldn't recommend anyone putting on a blue dress and skating to Gershwin in F anytime soon. Might not be a favorable comparison.

Ven

Match Penalty
Btw, is this actually Nessun Dorma or an edited orchestra version of Vanessa Mae's Violin Fantasy on Turandot?

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Yeah, it's the same designer. I have to wonder why she couldn't make Yuna's dress as gorgeous as this one for her Olympics in Sochi....

I actually got used to it by the time the Olympics came around. And I had less of a problem with it when I realized it looked like a dress when she wore when she was younger at a competition before Orser became her coach. In a way, I think it was her way of coming full circle with and a tribute to her original coaches.

jimeonji

Final Flight
But Yuna is the Queen, isn't she? I'm sure she could have pulled it off. I don't think the song belongs to Arakawa. I associate it more with Shen and Zhao. Didn't they use it for the Olympics in 2002? And Yu Na was hardly the first to use the Gershwin concerto at the Olympics. Karen Magnusson used it way back in 1972 at Sapporo and Emily Hughes used it for her short program in 2006. Both of those pieces are warhorses that no one owns.
of course no one owns certain pieces of music, but nevertheless they're associated with iconic programs by great skaters, and skaters that use those pieces of music risk being overshadowed by the possibly better program. How about this - what if in Pyeongchang, someone skated to Parisienne Walkways? Blues for Klook? A James Bond medley? They're pieces of music that will forever (or at least for a very long time) be associated with certain skaters.
Not saying that Yuna doing Nessun Dorma for her Olys free would've been disastrous, but people would still be thinking of Shizuka or Shen/Zhao while watching Yuna's, which might not have been the most advantageous.

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
Btw, is this actually Nessun Dorma or an edited orchestra version of Vanessa Mae's Violin Fantasy on Turandot?

Well I first thought this is not Nessun Dorma but Turandot. The beginning is for sure Turandot and then it is Nesun Dorma, so a mix perhaps.
I havn't heard Vanessa Mae's violin Fanstasy though so cant say if this is that version

Ven

Match Penalty
Well I first thought this is not Nessun Dorma but Turandot. The beginning is for sure Turandot and then it is Nesun Dorma, so a mix perhaps.
I havn't heard Vanessa Mae's violin Fanstasy though so cant say if this is that version

Yeah the beginning is not Nessun Dorma, and Shizuka's program with the same music is listed as "Violin Fantasy on Puccini's Turandot by Vanessa Mae", although that had more parts.
So I guess it's a Turandot mix? But I'm not complaining, I like this version Yuna skated to with the live orchestra, very beautiful. I couldn't find it anywhere else online.