Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Programs from this quad that will be talked about in 20 years

Programs from this quad that will be talked about in 20 years

Two seasons ago, I asked if you thought if there were any programs from this quad that would be talked about twenty years from now. People still talk about programs from Torvill&Dean, Michelle Kwan, Kurt Browning, etc. They had programs that stood the test of time. There are programs from long ago that new figure skating fans hear about and will go back and watch; as a relatively new skating fan, I know this is true. Now that this quad is at its end and we have seen all the programs, are there any that will be remembered and talked about twenty years down the road? Are there any that people will tell new figure skating fans that they should watch. Which programs do you think will be the stuff of legends? Unless you think none of them will stand the test of time.

A few that MIGHT, but I'm curious what you think:

Daisuke Takahashi "Blues for Klook"
    Davis and White "Die Fledermaus"
    Carolina Kostner "Bolero"
    Yuna Kim "Adios Nonino"

There are many others that come to my mind that I enjoyed, and I know that I will never forget, but they probably won't ever be watched and rewatched. There are more that come to mind that are GOOD programs, but I don't know if they are good enough. I'm afraid in 10-20 years they will be all but forgotten by most people. Only time will tell, I guess. What do you think?

Banned
    no at all of these except dai's tbh

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Mao Asada : Piano Concerto No. 2: by Sergei Rachmaninoff(choreo. by Tatiana Tarasova)

**Sochi FS**

Of course

Adelina Sotnikova : Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso in A Minor Op. 28 for Violin and Orchestra
    by Camille Saint-Saëns(choreo. by Peter Tchernyshev)

]
    Last edited by Sam-Skwantch; 03-17-2014 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Mao's last name fail

Custom Title
    Definitely Dai's and Mao's programs as mentioned. I think YuNa's James Bond program from 2010, and probably some others. And I'm so glad to see you mention Die Fledermaus, which I have adored from the first moment I saw it. I showed it to a non-skating-fan friend, and she was enchanted by it right way. She felt that it perfectly captured the Straussian spirit.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Jason Brown's Riverdance, of course: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzlcVKFVWVI

Yuna Kim Les Miserables.

Yuna: Les Mis, Send in the Clowns, Adios
    Mao: Nocturn, Swan Lake
    Yuzuru: Parisienne Walkways, Romeo and Juliet
    Caro: Bolero
    Adelina: Sochi FS (because of the controversy)

Custom Title
    Yuzuru Hanyu's 2011-2012 Romeo and Juliet LP. His performance of it at 2012 Worlds was like watching a supernova: a powerful and riveting spectacle.

If his 2011-2012 Romeo and Juliet was fire, his 2012-2014 Parisienne Walkways SP was ice, so cool. Also first SP to break a hundred (at the 2014 Olympics).

Medalist
    is Ksenia Makarova's Marilyn Monroe program (her original pink dress with the big tacky bow, not the white one she wore to Worlds) iconic enough to be this generation's Laetitia Hubert Hooker On Crack?

Konstantin Menshov's Men In Black SP will surely be rediscovered time from time, that mid-program costume change revealing some horrible creature growing from his chest is unforgettable.

Custom Title
    Despite all the judging nonsense, I am glad that we have many memorable programs by Mao/Yuna to stand in time. (Heck, even IOC EU's YouTube channel views tell the story) That's what's more important than medals, anyway. Only regret that I have is that I have not seen them in the arenas. I hope I get to see Yuzuru's performance in person some day.

I am sure there are many people who will watch and re-watch Adelina's "Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso" with half-open mouths, dripping.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Happy St. Patrick's Day!
    Sorry I am late but happy St. Patrick's day to you as well. I ate too much, I think. :P

I don't know which programs will be talked about, but I know the ones' I'll still watch.

Yuzuru Hanyu -Parisienne Walkways, Patrick Chan -Phantasia, Denis Ten-The artist
    V/T "Swan lake"
    V/M "And the waltz goes on", "Carmen"
    Yuna "Les miserables", Mao "Piano Concerto No. 2"(Olympic performance, of course)

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Definitely Jason's "Riverdance!" (raises pint of Guinness )

Also V/M's gorgeous waltz program -- loved its subtle delicacy

D/W's "I Could Have Danced All Night" -- captured the title and the spirit of the song so perfectly!

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
    Konstantin Menshov's Men In Black SP will surely be rediscovered time from time, that mid-program costume change revealing some horrible creature growing from his chest is unforgettable.
    It's a shame we didn't see any Black Swan costume changes. I had the idea of a white headpiece that could be pulled down to a black eye mask. Would have been perfect for Ashley Wagner before going into the spiral sequence. It could be pulled back up to white right before the ballerina steps in the footwork sequence.

(I found that Menshov costume usage to be quite awful, btw...there wasn't enough emphasis placed on it and it came too early in the program)

only Yulia's SL

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Maria Victoria View Post
    Yuzuru Hanyu's 2011-2012 Romeo and Juliet LP. His performance of it at 2012 Worlds was like watching a supernova: a powerful and riveting spectacle.

If his 2011-2012 Romeo and Juliet was fire, his 2012-2014 Parisienne Walkways SP was ice, so cool. Also first SP to break a hundred (at the 2014 Olympics).
    I'd agree with this^

Also, I'd imagine people will still be talking about Takahashi, and of his programs I would have thought his Mambo would be the one he will be remembered most for - such a crowd-pleaser, quintessentially Takahashi, and so suited to his personality.

I suspect Asada's Sochi FS will still be talked about... as one of the best performances of her long and distinguished career, certainly one of the most emotional... and also an everlasting record for becoming the first lady in history to land 8 triple jumps in one program. Possibly also in terms of controversy, regarding the score she got for it relative to the FS scores awarded to some of the other ladies.

Maybe Asada's Mary Poppins exhibition program...?

And surely Julia Lipnitskaia's "girl in the red dress" Schindlers List program? So memorable.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast